Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Southeast Crew Check In Thread

WeatherNC

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know the story, but I see Vortmax or whatever he goes by now went on a rant and closed Eastern down. Once Ian left his duties as Administrator a few months ago, I knew something was up even though that could be unrelated to the site's demise. Sad to see the bad blood develop. :( Don't worry though, lilj4425 is here to save the day with his blue dancing thing in his avatar. :D BLOO Q KAZOO!!!!

Did Isohume or Stormsfury make it here? Those guys knowledge of meteorology is incredible and it would be great here.

Yep they are here.

Who was the guy who showed up last winter who predicted the winter based on what the trees told him? He was always saying some crazy stuff and was from Georgia...then claimed he moved to LA lolz. I think he is back under a different name.

That would be the one and only Corey "Dewpoint" Tucker. He gives Brick a run for his money in the weenie department.

Who was the guy who showed up last winter who predicted the winter based on what the trees told him? He was always saying some crazy stuff and was from Georgia...then claimed he moved to LA lolz. I think he is back under a different name.

I remeber that....he was really high on a snowfall for northern Georgia on a day when the high hit 61 degrees. Epic fail.

I remeber that....he was really high on a snowfall for northern Georgia on a day when the high hit 61 degrees. Epic fail.

Yeah I think the wooly worms told him the temperature, the ants told him the humidity, the deer told him about ice storms and if he put his ear to the ground he could tell forecast the GFS models for the next 6 hour time slot. :popcorn:

Here he is:

http://www.talkweather.com/forums/index.php?/topic/55753-honk-honk-gobble-gobble-first-credible-threat/page__p__767287entry767287

Yeah I think the wooly worms told him the temperature

Since you brought it up :lightning:

Now, based on the old-timey methods of our pioneer forefathers in the weather predicting department, I’d like to offer my winter weather prediction.

It’s looking like the winter is going to be a hard one at the beginning and ending of winter (much the same as last year) with a mild spell in between based on observations I’ve made of the woolly worms I’ve seen over the course of the summer and fall, which were black on both ends and brown in the middle.

Also, the fact that many woolly worms were seen the latter part of June and throughout July (which is extremely early in the year) is another hard winter indicator. Usually, they don’t make their appearance until September or October, so this is certainly something to pay attention to.

I’ve even seen some solid black ones (which has me worried too!) but more of the aforementioned ones, thus, I’m going with the former to pinpoint our winter weather prediction.

I’ve also had reports of cream-colored, golden-orange, and even yellow woolly worms! I saw one of the golden ones myself but after doing a bit of research have discovered that while this is indeed a woolly worm (or woolly bear), it is the caterpillar of the Virginia Tiger Moth, whereas our usual black-orange variety is the caterpillar of the Isabella Moth. Therefore, they are of the same family, but are not identical.

Thus, I’m basing my prediction on the tried and true woolly worm that we’re all more familiar with.

Additionally, I counted six early morning fogs with one being heavy, one moderate, and four patchy, light fogs, thus, I believe we’ll have one heavy snow, one moderate, and four “blue darter” snows.

A “blue darter” snow, if you’ll remember, is a light skiff of snow that just blows across the top of the ground and offers no measurable accumulation, but nevertheless denotes cold, cold temperatures.

Also, I’ve noted many spider webs in the grass during those early morning fogs in August where the dew would reveal them, which is another sign Mama always said to watch for as a sign of a hard winter.

Too, the mast crop is abundant this year with the shells on the hickory nuts being particularly thick, I’ve noticed, which is another hard winter indicator.

Also, I’ve not personally seen any hornets’ nests this year, but have had reports from others that they’ve seen some that were built right at ground level, which is for sure a sign of a hard winter, according to the old-timers.

Too, a hard winter usually follows a very hot summer. I think we all would agree that this has been one of the hottest ever!

As a matter of fact, it only missed it by one day of tying the record for the hottest summer on record, according to the meteorologists at Knoxville.

Some additional tidbits of things from Mama’s notes to watch for when it’s going to snow:

• When the air is heavy and still and sound carries a long way, it’s going to snow. (For instance, Great Grandpa Sherrill could tell when it was going to snow because the air would get so heavy and still that he could hear a barge horn blow down on the Tennessee River from where he lived up on Hinch Mountain.)

• Crows will flock together, birds will eat up all the berries early, squirrels will build their nests lower in trees. Also, if squirrels gather nuts in the wintertime without chattering, when you see the birds feeding a lot on a winter’s day.

• When cows lay down in the wintertime and won’t go to pasture. When smoke rises in thin curls and finally, if fires crackle and the firewood pops it’s going to snow.

I hope you’ve enjoyed learning a bit more of the area history and hope to share more at a future date. In the meantime, bundle up for a cold one! It’s lookin’ like it could be another real humdinger! Take care and stay warm. Happy Fall and Winter to all!

http://crossville-ch...68309/Bundle-up

LOL!!! He will be here to annoy the hell out of all of us, I'm sure.

Yeah, in the next couple weeks the new mod policy will be tested for sure, now that certain weenies/trolls are given a clean slate. Speaking of moderators...read http://www.easternuswx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/240741-eastern-resurrected/. Don't all sign up at once.

lol WTF what a ****ing diasaster! Love it, if firewood cracks and pops it's going to snow! Take that one to the bank.

"It’s looking like the winter is going to be a hard one at the beginning and ending of winter (much the same as last year) with a mild spell in between based on observations I’ve made of the woolly worms I’ve seen over the course of the summer and fall, which were black on both ends and brown in the middle.

Also, the fact that many woolly worms were seen the latter part of June and throughout July (which is extremely early in the year) is another hard winter indicator. Usually, they don’t make their appearance until September or October, so this is certainly something to pay attention to.

I’ve even seen some solid black ones (which has me worried too!) "

LOLZ :lmao:

He screws us all by over closing the website which caused the other higher-ups to create this website which we all have to join and then wants us to come back? :arrowhead::thumbsdown:

I thought we banned the blue bouncing turd last winter. He was a curse to our winter weather chances several times. I thought we had seen the last of him.......Oh well, it's a new season and a new board so we will give him a chance to redeem himself. :weight_lift:

I thought we banned the blue bouncing turd last winter. He was a curse to our winter weather chances several times. I thought we had seen the last of him.......Oh well, it's a new season and a new board so we will give him a chance to redeem himself. :weight_lift:

Nope...just warned a lot. :devilsmiley: I'm not making any promises, but i'll try not to be such a weenie this year and lay off the stupid off topic posts.

Archived