• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Major Hurricane Irene live tracking

This system looks like garbage even though it has a surface reflection, but I do believe this will develop. I can think of systems that looked like garbage at one point and went on to do great but awful things

Andrew

Katrina

Fran

Jeanne

I dont believe this will be an Andrew or Katrina, but think this could still be a good sized hurricane in the long run

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is nice to see that all of those plots take 97L to the north of Shredder Island.

With the system not expected to really develop significantly until after it passes Hispanola, whether it tracks over the island, north of it, or south of it.... I have to question how much of an impact the island will really have this time. If there's not yet an inner core to disrupt... there's not going to be a structural disruption. Tropical systems have survived these big islands... and even hitting Hispanola, and then tracking up the length of Cuba... and go on to do violent things. What's most important is the environment the system is in after it leaves the islands.... and if there was a disruption of the inner structure when it hit the islands, but if there's not a significant inner structure to disrupt, the terrain can't do too much to damage the system.

18Z Spaghetti impressive in showing quite a few perturbations with pronounced low pressure, although I think the Central/Eastern Gulf is probably, at least ensemble wise, more likely than anything as far West as Texas.

For that far out, the clustering seems fairly good.

post-138-0-02848700-1313720774.gif

Maybe a title edit to add Mobile Monster or New Orleans Nailer in the morning after seeing the Euro and the ensembles. I think the 18Z had a bad potato with dinner.

Actually I think it might prove not that far fetched.... Teleconnections suggest that any trough trying to dig into the midwest/EC will have a hard time to do it deep enough to completely break the huge ridge. Remember the -AO teleconnection with the southern ridge? Low crashing into the PNW would also pump the ridge downstream...that makes the Bermuda and Sonoran ridge, specially in August, a true behemoth, very hard to kill. It might still happen, specially if we get an energetic shortwave, and with a TC above 22N, it doesn't take that much digging.

WA55d.gif

Thanks Ion

the banter needs to be kept to a minimum in these threads.. already 100+ in 'em at times. god forbid it actually goes against the rest and threatens the u.s. the last page wasnt too pretty overall, i've cleared about half of it.

Looks like the 00Z GFS is mostly missing the Dominican just south but a direct Haiti hit , interesting because all the hurricane models have it to the north.....

Edit, it actually skims along the whole southern coast of the island, would not be affected too much if this verifies....

Archived