• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irene live tracking

If it hasn't had sustained hurricane force winds in x or xx hours at any reporting stations including those out over the water it probably isn't a hurricane and hasn't been for hours.

When people talk about misperceptions with the public that's where it starts. If it isn't producing hurricane force winds and is struggling to produce significant tropical storm force winds why is it still classified as a hurricane? It does make a difference, either the standard means something or it doesn't.

JMHO, I respect the opinions of everyone else.

At least we're getting a few obs that support this being a tropical storm. But, the post mortem will be interesting. It's a tough situation for forecasters as it always had the potential with winds just off the surface being so much stronger.

A lot of SE MA has no power, lots of old trees going down. I've gusted to 40 knots a couple of times in the last fifteen minutes and just a couple of miles away it's a sustained TS:

FALMOUTH CLOUDY 77 72 83 SE40G61

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NDBC has posted the following for buoy 44065 - Entrance to New York Harbor (the graphic I posted earler showed 17.1ft at 4 AM EDT):

"During the approach of Hurricane Irene on 8/28/2011 some wave data for station 44065 did not get to the NDBC web site. The following wave data were reported:

5 AM EDT = 5.84 m or 19.2 ft at 10.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 173 degrees

6 AM EDT = 6.64 m or 21.8 ft at 11.3 seconds, mean wave direction = 172 degrees

7 AM EDT = 7.10 m or 23.3 ft at 13.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 185 degrees

8 AM EDT = 7.24 m or 23.6 ft at 13.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 171 degrees

9 AM EDT = 7.95 m or 26.1 ft at 14.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 170 degrees"

Here's an update for the other buoy I showed - 44097, Block Island RI. Peak of 30.8 ft at 11:32 EDT.

Irene_280811_05.gif

NDBC has posted the following for buoy 44065 - Entrance to New York Harbor (the graphic I posted earler showed 17.1ft at 4 AM EDT):

"During the approach of Hurricane Irene on 8/28/2011 some wave data for station 44065 did not get to the NDBC web site. The following wave data were reported:

5 AM EDT = 5.84 m or 19.2 ft at 10.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 173 degrees

6 AM EDT = 6.64 m or 21.8 ft at 11.3 seconds, mean wave direction = 172 degrees

7 AM EDT = 7.10 m or 23.3 ft at 13.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 185 degrees

8 AM EDT = 7.24 m or 23.6 ft at 13.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 171 degrees

9 AM EDT = 7.95 m or 26.1 ft at 14.8 seconds, mean wave direction = 170 degrees"

Here's an update for the other buoy I showed - 44097, Block Island RI. Peak of 30.8 ft at 11:32 EDT.

Irene_280811_05.gif

WOW, that's impressive.

The thing that saved NYC was dry air and that ERC

Irene never got her act together over the warmer waters down south...

but I suppose a stronger storm could have changed the path too slighty

she could of easlily been a gloria but hitting at high tide and a tad west

ERC? Irene never had an eye. Or at least anything I would call an eye.

Considering the fact that drought conditions extend across the Southern US from AZ to GA and given the size of the circulation, one should not at all be surprised by the dry air entrainment into the storm. This is going to be a factor for any GOM storm approaching the US as well especially for LA and TX.

Steve

I'm surprised no one posted the obs from Central Park when it passed... that's one for the record books-- anyone know the lowest pressures ever from a TC?

KNYC 281329Z AUTO VRB06G20KT 1 3/4SM -RA BR OVC006 21/21 A2854 RMK AO2 PK WND 08030/1308 P0010 TSNO

Note that no other major ASOS site near the coast went variable in NY... I mean, 966.5 over Central Park! Gotta appreciate that...

I'm surprised no one posted the obs from Central Park when it passed... that's one for the record books-- anyone know the lowest pressures ever from a TC?

KNYC 281329Z AUTO VRB06G20KT 1 3/4SM -RA BR OVC006 21/21 A2854 RMK AO2 PK WND 08030/1308 P0010 TSNO

Note that no other major ASOS site near the coast went variable in NY... I mean, 966.5 over Central Park! Gotta appreciate that...

I don't know about Central Park, but I think JFK reported 968mb during Hurricane Gloria. Other than that, there hasn't been a storm that deep that close to NYC since 1851(maybe Donna).

Central Park is ALWAYS variable. Aside from that, the pressure MAY have been lower in the March, 1993 storm.

Some of the news media today are pushing the idea that the NHC held onto a Cat. I

status for too long simply to keep the masses dutiful.

Strictly based on wind, Irene did verify as a Cat. I if one searches for sporadic

wind observations; barely. Flooding, though not the metric to assign categories,

did deliver.

Kudos to those here that explained thermodynamics and conservation of energy, i.e. how

a low central SLP and flaccid out bands can lead to a very wet tropical system with winds

that belie the central SLP.

Jim Cantore, on Today Show, said, "...the winds were much higher up in the skyscrapers..."...paraphrasing.

I don't know about Central Park, but I think JFK reported 968mb during Hurricane Gloria. Other than that, there hasn't been a storm that deep that close to NYC since 1851(maybe Donna).

My site is 4 miles from JFK and I recorded 967.8 mb during the Tax Day 2007 Noreaster. I came close, but no cigar this time.... my minimum pressure was 968.5 mb as the center of lowest pressure went off just to my west. We also set all time monthly rainfall records throughout the area.

I heard there was a 10.5 foot surge somewhere on the CT coast? The highest surge around here was about 7 feet.

0800 AM STORM SURGE LONG BEACH 40.59N 73.67W 08/28/2011 NASSAU NY NWS EMPLOYEE STORM SURGE ESTIMATED TO EASILY BE 7FT MSL HERE AND ALSO AT LIDO BEACH. FOR LONG BEACH...CARS PARKED NEAR THE BOARDWALK HAD WATER OVER THEIR ROOFS.

Here are the wind swaths for Irene, hot off the press from the HRD.

The NC swath is exactly what I expected. It looks like Morehead City and Beaufort had winds of ~55 kt, and my location (Marshallberg) ~70 kt. So it was good we shifted as far E as we did.

The NJ/NY map kind of shocks me a little, as it suggests the Jersey coast had winds no higher than minimal gale force (~40 kt) and Long Island winds peaked at ~50 kt. I'm not sure the map makes total sense to me, as I believe LGA had higher sustained winds than the 35 kt indicated. (What were LGA's and JFK's max sustained wind during Irene-- anybody?)

AL092011_swaths_max1minWind_NC_knots.pdf

AL092011_swaths_max1minWind_NY_knots.pdf

Archived