EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Major Hurricane Irene live tracking

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow..was the peak at high tide?

back to the dover radar..then with the radar overdoing things the storm may look worse then it really is when it gets east of DE then

it looks pretty pathetic on the infrared

Bryan Norcross was just saying how ragged it looks on satellite - but also stated that Gloria and Bob looked quite ragged as well.

Strange storm indeed. Seems like Richmond, over 100 miles north and west of the track got at least as much wind as I did in Va. Beach 20-25 miles west of the track. My winds now are almost as strong as they've been all day with this thing pulling well away from me. Was this really a hurricane or some sort of hybrid maybe.

FXCN31 CWHX 280000

TROPICAL CYCLONE TECHNICAL INFORMATION STATEMENT ISSUED BY THE

CANADIAN HURRICANE CENTRE OF ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 9:00 PM ADT

SATURDAY 27 AUGUST 2011.

THE NEXT STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED BY 3.00 AM ADT

1. CURRENT POSITION, STRENGTH, CENTRAL PRESSURE AND MOTION

AT 9.00 PM ADT, HURRICANE IRENE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE

37.3 N AND LONGITUDE 75.6 W , ABOUT 30 NAUTICAL MILES OR 60 KM

SOUTH OF WALLOPS ISLAND. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE ESTIMATED

AT 70 KNOTS ( 130 KM/H ) AND CENTRAL PRESSURE AT 950 MB. IRENE

IS MOVING NORTH NORTHEAST AT 11 KNOTS ( 20 KM/H ).

2. FORECAST POSITION, CENTRAL PRESSURE AND STRENGTH

DATE TIME LAT LON MSLP MAX WIND

ADT MB KTS KMH

AUG 27 9.00 PM 37.3N 75.6W 950 70 130

AUG 28 9.00 AM 40.1N 73.9W 954 65 120 POST-TROPICAL

AUG 28 9.00 PM 43.7N 71.4W 958 60 111 POST-TROPICAL

AUG 29 9.00 AM 47.4N 67.7W 965 55 102 POST-TROPICAL

AUG 29 9.00 PM 50.7N 62.8W 968 50 93 POST-TROPICAL

AUG 30 9.00 AM 53.7N 55.2W 971 45 83 POST-TROPICAL

AUG 30 9.00 PM 55.6N 45.8W 974 40 74 POST-TROPICAL

AUG 31 9.00 AM 56.8N 35.2W 976 40 74 POST-TROPICAL

3. TECHNICAL DISCUSSION

A. ANALYSIS

IRENE IS CURRENTLY MOVING BACK INTO THE ATLANTIC OCEAN NEAR THE COAST

OF VIRGINIA AFTER CROSSING NORTH CAROLINA TODAY. IRENE LOST A BIT OF

ITS STRUCTURE OVER LAND TODAY BUT DID NOT LOSE MUCH STRENGTH.

RADAR AND MICROWAVE IMAGERY SHOW THAT WHILE MUCH OF ITS SOUTHERN

EYEWALL HAS ERODED AWAY, IT STILL HAS A WELL DEFINED CENTER.

THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS ACTUALLY DROPPED SLIGHTLY TO 950 MB AS

MEASURED BY FLIGHT RECON LATE THIS AFTERNOON, WHICH IS UNUSUALLY

DEEP FOR A STORM OF THIS INTENSITY, AND SURFACE OBSERVATIONS STILL

SHOW A VERY LARGE RADIUS OF GALE AND STORM FORCE WINDS EXTENDING

OUTWARD FROM IRENE IN ALL DIRECTIONS. IRENE CONTINUES TO MOVE NORTH

NORTHEASTWARD AT 11 KNOTS (20 KM/H).

B. PROGNOSTIC

SOUTHWESTERLY SHEAR IS FORECAST TO INCREASE AS IRENE BECOMES

INFLUENCED BY AN UPPER TROUGH. IN ADDITION, THE STORM WILL

TRACK OVER SLIGHTLY COOLER WATER TEMPERATURES AS IT MOVES THROUGH

THE WATERS EAST OF VIRGINIA. THESE FACTORS SHOULD LEAD TO STEADY

WEAKENING AND TRANSITIONING OF IRENE INTO A POST-TROPICAL SYSTEM

AS IT APPROACHES LONG ISLAND AND INTO NEW ENGLAND ON SUNDAY. IRENE

IS FORECAST TO BE BELOW HURRICANE STRENGTH BEFORE ENTERING CANADIAN

TERRITORY. HOWEVER, HURRICANE FORCE GUSTS OVER LAND MAY EXIST WITH

THE STORM EVEN AS IT BECOMES POST-TROPICAL.

THE IMPACTS OF IRENE AS IT APPROACHES CANADIAN TERRITORY WILL

INCLUDE HEAVIEST RAINFALL LEFT OF TRACK AND GUSTY WINDS RIGHT OF

TRACK. DUE TO SPRING TIDES, HEAVY POUNDING SURF AND STORM SURGE,

THERE MAY BE SOME COASTAL IMPACTS ALONG SHORELINES CLOSE AND

IMMEDIATELY RIGHT OF IRENE'S TRACK. LONG PERIOD SWELLS WILL BEGIN

TO AFFECT SOUTH FACING SHORELINES OF NOVA SCOTIA LATER TODAY.

THERE IS STILL A POSSIBILITY THAT IF IRENE GETS HEAVILY SHEARED WITH

THE LOW LEVEL CIRCULATION BEING DISPLACED FROM THE DEEPER CLOUD, THE

FORECAST TRACK MAY SHIFT EASTWARD.

C. PREDICTED WIND RADII (NM)

TIME GALES STORMS HURRICANE

NE SE SW NW NE SE SW NW NE SE SW NW

28/00Z 250 250 150 125 125 125 90 65 75 75 35 30

28/12Z 250 250 150 125 115 115 80 65 45 45 20 20

29/00Z 250 250 150 125 95 105 55 45 0 0 0 0

29/12Z 250 290 125 100 60 90 25 25 0 0 0 0

30/00Z 250 320 80 75 20 40 5 5 0 0 0 0

30/12Z 250 330 75 75 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

31/00Z 250 315 75 75 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

31/12Z 250 285 75 75 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

END/BORGEL/FOGARTY/COUTURIER

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/hurricane/track_e.html

the track call seems quite similar to the NHC on this. but Environment Canada is getting quite aggressive with the call for the extra-tropical

transformation process to start just south of NYC, isn't it? NHC's not calling for the transformation to start until later tomorrow I

estimate past the Berkshires. why do you think they'd disagree by as much as 18 hours on this?

Gusts 80+ being reported in Frederick, MD from an MDDOT observation station with a maximum of 89. Having trouble believing that:

http://www.wundergro...y.asp?ID=MMD050

Edit: Looks like that station was actually reporting 80+ mph gusts much of the day. Definitely an inaccurate ob.

Is That at Barddok heights, I am not feeling not feeling anything more than 30Mph winds, but I"ll drive up there and check.

Edit: Not on Braddock heights and it's a mile from FDK which is gusting to 35, definitely a false reading.

New advisory: no change???? WTF???? This is nuts. They should have at least lowered it to 75mph. There has not been a hurricane force sustained wind since this AM. No changes to the warnings- hurricane warnings still in eastern New England?

Agreed. But obviously they don't want people further North to let their guard down.

New advisory: no change???? WTF???? This is nuts. They should have at least lowered it to 75mph. There has not been a hurricane force sustained wind since this AM. No changes to the warnings- hurricane warnings still in eastern New England?

I hear there is an anti-NWS/NOAA bandwagon...there might still be a seat for you?

000WTNT44 KNHC 280257TCDAT4HURRICANE IRENE DISCUSSION NUMBER 31NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL0920111100 PM EDT SAT AUG 27 2011IRENE HAS CHANGED LITTLE IN APPEARANCE IN SATELLITE IMAGERY...BUTTHE RADAR DEPICTION HAS DEGRADED OVER THE PAST FEW HOURS. AN AIRFORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INVESTIGATING THE HURRICANE THISEVENING HAS FOUND 700 MB FLIGHT-LEVEL WINDS OF 92 KT AND SFMR WINDSOF 66 KT IN A SMALL AREA MORE THAN 100 NMI EAST OF THE CENTER.BASED ON THIS INFORMATION...THE INTENSITY OF IRENE IS BEINGMAINTAINED AT 70 KT FOR THIS ADVISORY. IT SHOULD BE NOTED THAT THEWIND FIELD GRAPHICS BASED ON THE FOUR-QUADRANT RADII WILL DEPICT ANUNREALISTICALLY LARGE AREA OF HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS.THE INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE IS NOW 020/14...AND IRENE REMAINS ONTRACK. IRENE IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE MOVING NORTH-NORTHEASTWARDAHEAD OF AN EASTWARD-MOVING SHORTWAVE TROUGH...AND SKIRT THEMID-ATLANTIC COAST TONIGHT AND EARLY SUNDAY MORNING...AND MOVE OVERNEW ENGLAND BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON. AFTER IRENE BECOMES APOST-TROPICAL/EXTRATROPICAL LOW BY 36 HOURS...THE CYCLONE SHOULDGRADUALLY TURN NORTHEASTWARD THEN EAST-NORTHEASTWARD AS IT MOVESINTO THE DEEP-LAYER MID-LATITUDE WESTERLIES. THE FORECAST TRACK ISJUST AN EXTENSION OF THE PREVIOUS ADVISORY AND REMAINS IN THEMIDDLE OF THE TIGHTLY PACKED NHC MODEL GUIDANCE.IRENE WILL BE MOVING OVER PROGRESSIVELY COOLER WATER UNTIL LANDFALLOCCURS ON LONG ISLAND...WHICH WOULD NORMALLY RESULT IN SIGNIFICANTWEAKENING OF MOST HURRICANES. HOWEVER...DUE TO THE UNUSUALLY LARGEWIND FIELD OF IRENE...ONLY SLOW WEAKENING IS EXPECTED THROUGHOUTTHE FORECAST PERIOD...AND IT WILL ONLY TAKE MODEST CONVECTION TOBRING DOWN STRONGER WINDS ALOFT TO THE SURFACE AS SUSTAINEDHURRICANE-FORCE WINDS OR GUSTS.MORE SO THAN WITH MOST STORMS...THE WINDS WITH IRENE INCREASESHARPLY WITH HEIGHT ABOVE THE SURFACE. AS IRENE MOVES THROUGHAREAS WITH HIGH-RISE STRUCTURES...THESE BUILDINGS COULD EXPERIENCEWINDS SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER THAN THE SURFACE WINDS. WINDS AT THE30-STORY LEVEL WILL LIKELY BE 20 PERCENT HIGHER THAN AT THESURFACE...AND WINDS 80-100 STORIES UP COULD BE ABOUT 30 PERCENTHIGHER THAN AT THE SURFACE.FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDSINIT 28/0300Z 37.3N 75.4W 70 KT 80 MPH 12H 28/1200Z 39.8N 74.1W 65 KT 75 MPH 24H 29/0000Z 44.0N 71.8W 55 KT 65 MPH...INLAND 36H 29/1200Z 48.5N 67.8W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 48H 30/0000Z 52.4N 62.8W 45 KT 50 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 72H 31/0000Z 57.7N 48.6W 40 KT 45 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP 96H 01/0000Z 60.0N 33.5W 35 KT 40 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP120H 02/0000Z 61.2N 24.5W 35 KT 40 MPH...POST-TROP/EXTRATROP$FORECASTER STEWART

It already looks like it's transitioning to extra-tropical. I suppose it won't technically be fully ET until it reaches northern new england and begins to interact w/ the incoming trough.

Saw a nice water vapor image while ago of the entire western Atlantic.......could see the moisture transport all the way from deep in the tropics with a huge dry slot wrapping up into the SE side of the hurricane. Definitely looks more like a major nor easter than a tropical system.

I praise them when they deserve it and bash them when they deserve it. NHC has always had a overly cautious M.O.

I would think that when Irene goes in the books the data will be properly analyzed and she will not go in as a cane into NJ, NY, and beyond. For now, probably just best to keep it where its at for the general population even though most here don't believe it.

I would think that when Irene goes in the books the data will be properly analyzed and she will not go in as a cane into NJ, NY, and beyond. For now, probably just best to keep it where its at for the general population even though most here don't believe it.

the 11pm discussion was really interestingly passive aggressive towards itself.

So do you think there should be hurricane warnings in eastern New England?

I was just making the point that you hold neither the expertise or the position to make that call...hence your only voice...a wx BB?

I'd agree probably not...but i'm not a forecaster either...i'm one of those stupid PhDs that can't forecast....

Strange storm indeed. Seems like Richmond, over 100 miles north and west of the track got at least as much wind as I did in Va. Beach 20-25 miles west of the track. My winds now are almost as strong as they've been all day with this thing pulling well away from me. Was this really a hurricane or some sort of hybrid maybe.

Even down here on Cape Fear, N.C. the back side (which lasted forever and was very far from storm center) was the most potent (hours and hours of high winds.)

Odd storm indeed.

I was just making the point that you hold neither the expertise or the position to make that call...hence your only voice...a wx BB?

I'd agree probably not...but i'm not a forecaster either...i'm one of those stupid PhDs that can't forecast....

I have been a professional national forecaster for 30 years, and I stand by my opinion.

Archived