Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Irene live tracking

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is totally possible. While Hispanola would definitely cause significant weakening it isn't too hard for storms to regenerate after it.

Heck even Emily did it...sure only became a TD but it did reform...and that had some big shear and horrid dry air to content with after Hispaniola as well!

Could this late-bloomer become Jose? Certainly some potential that 98L could beat 97L to development.

At this point, I'm guessing Irene if 98L developed first because I'm doubting 93L becomes Harvey.Of course the last ill-defined wave we thought would become Jose became Hurricane Katrina...so who knows...

At this point, I'm guessing Irene if 98L developed first because I'm doubting 93L becomes Harvey.Of course the last ill-defined wave we thought would become Jose became Hurricane Katrina...so who knows...

Valid point. 93L has definitely been off my radar for awhile... just assumed from the chatter that it would get named eventually :P

'sides, I'd rather chase Irene than Jose, though I'm not big on either name.

97L has decent E Gulf recurve potential. At this point I'm putting more of my chips on the E Gulf landfall vs. EC landfall... don't think it can resist the eastern U.S. height weaknesses enough to stay on the W track into the W Gulf.

Valid point. 93L has definitely been off my radar for awhile... just assumed from the chatter that it would get named eventually :P

'sides, I'd rather chase Irene than Jose, though I'm not big on either name.

97L has decent E Gulf recurve potential. At this point I'm putting more of my chips on the E Gulf landfall vs. EC landfall... don't think it can resist the eastern U.S. height weaknesses enough to stay on the W track into the W Gulf.

Names don't mean much in the long run. Although it wouldn't be the first time I was rooting for a name.

In 2004, I was saying I hoped former TD-2 became Tropical Storm Bonnie before the new system was named because the new system (Hurricane Charley) had a much better shot at being something significant and I would prefer Hurricane Charley over Hurricane Bonnie. Of course, that happened and it was Charley.

Same in 2005. Around July 4th everyone was saying the potential biggie in the Caribbean would be Cindy before the Depression by the Yucatan. I wanted it to be Dennis, and indeed, it became Hurricane Dennis as the Gulf system became Cindy first.

I would rather track a Hurricane Harvey or a Hurricane Jose than an Irene. But it looks like 97L and 98L are on their way to becoming Harvey and Irene.

The 18Z THU GFS hit at Galveston makes it 15 runs in a row with a U.S. hit from 97L! Granted, this latest run hits about 1,000 miles away from many of the other hits.

Pretty big shift to the west in this run. No matter what happens, the GFS continues to advertise a big storm.

I'm with you asking the same question, could something like the 12z GFS happen?? I know they can intensify rapidly but it traverses all of Cuba for quite awhile and explodes once it hits the warm waters after. Not the best tropical forecaster here so learning from some of you guys.

That 12z Euro loop is very impressive..

Just to answer your question while browsing the topic.... doing nothing more..... Hurricane Frederic in 1979 did this very thing... and went onto be a Category 4 south of the central Gulf Coast... and the worst hurricane in Alabama state history, aside from Hurricane Ivan.

How full is the glass, Ed?

18Z is perfect for drought relief as long as it hits 100 miles at least farther down. My wife's Grandma loves that place, now rebuilt. 'Wayleeta'. Everyone loves my wife's grandparents. The Popo Party Pad. High water, but no damage from Claudette, and they're tapping Lake Conroe and have the city of mando water rationing. So it is 100 miles or so from perfect. And a GFS run almost 2 weeks out.

But it'll hit Pensacola or points East if I had to guess. But I don't have to.

Archived