Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Summer's Swan Song

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raccoons are squeezing under my mesh fence, which is 5-6' tall and weighed down by rocks, and devouring my garden. I'm very upset because I just lost 4 cauliflower plants and 1 eggplant. Does anyone have any suggestions about scaring them away? Is there a trap or poison that can deter them?

Looks pretty average to me.....I thought your dailies were like 75/55 at this point? Today's warmth and tomorrow's warmth make up for the cool days on Monday and Tuesday, and 850s rise quickly Wednesday with the flow turning more SWly ahead of another cold front. Those crisp nights in the 40s will feel great, however. I'm going up to my parents' vacation home in the Poconos tomorrow after work, and we both should have some really chilly nights...you're a bit lower in elevation than the 1500' at our second home, but you have more latitude, so we end up with similar temperatures. It's always a relief to get up there after spending most of the summer in the NYC suburbs, as the climate is close to 10F cooler, especially with the radiational cooling you get at 1500' in a protected valley surrounded by higher ridges. I consider that my God's country as I spent my first 17 summers there before I started staying home to work, and I was always biking, swimming, kayaking etc...beautiful up there. I am looking forward to joining you in the hill country of Southern/Central New England, as well. I got a decent offer from the school, and it's on 1700 acres of preserved land with three ponds, pine/birch/sugar maple forest, and very hilly terrain. I'm going to try to run a gardening workshop outside of the 4 Spanish classes I'll teach per day. And I never considered using chemicals on my garden, not sure what you are talking about.

Also, Pete, I want to put the insulting comments to rest. I don't think I can be accused of being lazy and just idly living off my parents. I worked 50 hours a week last year, substitute teaching during the day and working for a restaurant delivering at night; it wasn't as if I sat home while they went to work and supported me. I pay for my own car, a lot of my own food, and do most of the chores and cooking around the house. I'm also done living at home (except for visits during vacations) as my package at this boarding school includes an apartment with all the amenities paid for; it was a temporary arrangement while I looked for a higher-paying job. I am going to be working with special-needs students who want to try a foreign language, and I frequently worked with students with limited English, ADHD, and even Down's Syndrome while I was a substitute....so please don't accuse me of not contributing, try working with kids with learning disabilities for a while and you'll be worn out, too. It's also not your role to judge people's lifestyles; this is supposed to be a weather forum, not a place to criticize posters for their age, living arrangements, income, etc. Your condescending attitude is not appreciated.

I was not really that serious about using poison, I was just wondering what my options were. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using anything chemical to kill the animals since I've been gardening organically for three summers now, and I don't have to worry about it anyway since I'm just relying on what I can harvest from my potted plants and the greens, which have been untouched, given that I'm leaving the area semi-permanently in 10 days. You can't say that I immediately turned to chemicals Pete, as I didn't actually use anything; simply asking casually about the possibilities to kill a pest is not the same thing as actually deploying a poison. You try to brand me a hypocrite but it's a fail as are most of your arguments.

Anyway, I just harvested a medium-sized cucumber, two Japanese eggplants, and two dozen string beans from the garden. It's been a long fight against the animals this summer, but I've managed to squeeze out a modest amount of produce, though obviously not nearly as much as I would like. I would have had bushels of tomatoes and eggplants with the warm summer if it were not for this raccoon and the deer that graze in my backyard. It's really a challenge being in a suburban area with a house that backs onto an 80-acre nature preserve, as you have the worst of both worlds...no predators since you're not in the countryside where coyotes and bears can kill deer/raccoons, but with plenty of vegetation and natural habitat right around your property.

It's turned out to be a muggy night in Dobbs Ferry after a very crisp evening yesterday...feels like mid-summer again although the silence of the crickets and absence of the fireflies betrays the notion of the warm season returning; we are clearly in our descent towards autumn, but we have some mugginess to deal with in the meantime. We're sitting at 72/69 with fair skies, beautiful display of stars tonight even in the face of so much light pollution from NYC, only ten miles to the south.

I was not really that serious about using poison, I was just wondering what my options were. I don't think I'd feel comfortable using anything chemical to kill the animals since I've been gardening organically for three summers now, and I don't have to worry about it anyway since I'm just relying on what I can harvest from my potted plants and the greens, which have been untouched, given that I'm leaving the area semi-permanently in 10 days. You can't say that I immediately turned to chemicals Pete, as I didn't actually use anything; simply asking casually about the possibilities to kill a pest is not the same thing as actually deploying a poison. You try to brand me a hypocrite but it's a fail as are most of your arguments.

Anyway, I just harvested a medium-sized cucumber, two Japanese eggplants, and two dozen string beans from the garden. It's been a long fight against the animals this summer, but I've managed to squeeze out a modest amount of produce, though obviously not nearly as much as I would like. I would have had bushels of tomatoes and eggplants with the warm summer if it were not for this raccoon and the deer that graze in my backyard. It's really a challenge being in a suburban area with a house that backs onto an 80-acre nature preserve, as you have the worst of both worlds...no predators since you're not in the countryside where coyotes and bears can kill deer/raccoons, but with plenty of vegetation and natural habitat right around your property.

It's turned out to be a muggy night in Dobbs Ferry after a very crisp evening yesterday...feels like mid-summer again although the silence of the crickets and absence of the fireflies betrays the notion of the warm season returning; we are clearly in our descent towards autumn, but we have some mugginess to deal with in the meantime. We're sitting at 72/69 with fair skies, beautiful display of stars tonight even in the face of so much light pollution from NYC, only ten miles to the south.

Yeah, but they're a problem too, what with the anvils, catapults, and portable holes they leave lying around.

I really had no awareness of Led Zepplin in the 70's...heard the name , but didn't know who they were. I didn't listen to any rock until the disco era (1977-78 or so) and Zepplin was rarely ever played on top 40 radio. I was more into the Bee Gees LOL and then much moreso got into music and liked the New Wave stuff in the early 80's. My first rock album (cassette) was Get the Knack. :thumbsup:

This was the album that first got me to pick up a guitar. John Bonham just rocks, few rival his chops.

Since we are talking about wild animals. I see the DEC has acknowledged that the "Invasive" wild bore species has gained a foothold now in the Adirondacks and Central NY with scattered sightings elsewhere.

Wx-wise, perfectly comfy here now. 61 with a dew point of 58 currently. 54/79 yesterday.

LOL, ok Nate. You just wanted to find out what poison to use to kill the animals you deemed a nuisance. Not that you would have done it of course.Sure. I think someone that extoles the virtues of organic farming and bio-diversity that then looks for the right poison to apply to to a pest problem is somewhat of a hypocrite. Don't see the fail there. As for your previous post, how quickly you forget you fired the opening salvo. You insult my intelligence and then when you receive return fire you seek a truce. No dice.

LOL, ok Nate. You just wanted to find out what poison to use to kill the animals you deemed a nuisance. Not that you would have done it of course.Sure. I think someone that extoles the virtues of organic farming and bio-diversity that then looks for the right poison to apply to to a pest problem is somewhat of a hypocrite. Don't see the fail there. As for your previous post, how quickly you forget you fired the opening salvo. You insult my intelligence and then when you receive return fire you seek a truce. No dice.

Honestly, I probably would not have done it, but I wanted to know what the options were. If there were a poison that was a low risk to the environment and could save my vegetable garden, which can generate hundreds of pounds of healthy organically grown produce in a season, would it be worth using? That's a tough question, but you have to be realistic even if you are an idealistic organic farmer, if you get my drift. In some extreme cases, antibiotics for livestock or pesticides for crops may be necessary; employing them in rare, targeted situations is quite different from using them in a careless, widespread fashion as does modern industrial agriculture. There's certainly a distinction! Personally I've never used chemical pesticides or poisons in my gardens, but of course I'm not relying on the food for my survival, or to make a living, as some do. I can certainly brand you a bigger hypocrite for extolling the virtues of the natural Berkshire landscape and then building excessively large, resource-hogging mansions that ruin the environment for rich customers seeking a second home. There's balances and trade-offs to be made in life between our values and reality, so you can't always accuse people of hypocrisy because the two don't match perfectly.

Also, the whole argument started because of you, not me: you accused me of being a careless youth living off his parents' largess because I defended those who are interested and excited by anomalous weather phenomena such as destructive tornadoes and hurricanes. You made the argument personal by criticizing my lifestyle and family situation whereas I was just debating a concept, an idea. You fired the opening shot, Pete, not me. You turned an assault on an idea into an assault on my character, crossing a line between a civil debate over ideas versus an acrimonious personal argument. If you don't see this, you're blind. The biggest problem is that you don't understand that inherently, your respect and appreciation for the beauty of the Berkshires and the outdoorsy lifestyle is the same thing as an admiration and fascination with destructive storms. It's just humans standing in awe of the power of nature, the rarity of certain meteorological events whose power one only experiences a couple times in his life, and of appreciating the technological tools that allow us to track such events, which are ultimately for the betterment of society. Those who become excited and impassioned by a tornado outbreak are inherently the same as those who stand in awe of a snow-capped mountain as they vow to summit with skis. It's the same value that brings us all here, to this forum, to this passion.

lol

Honestly, I probably would not have done it, but I wanted to know what the options were. If there were a poison that was a low risk to the environment and could save my vegetable garden, which can generate hundreds of pounds of healthy organically grown produce in a season, would it be worth using? That's a tough question, but you have to be realistic even if you are an idealistic organic farmer, if you get my drift. In some extreme cases, antibiotics for livestock or pesticides for crops may be necessary; employing them in rare, targeted situations is quite different from using them in a careless, widespread fashion as does modern industrial agriculture. There's certainly a distinction! Personally I've never used chemical pesticides or poisons in my gardens, but of course I'm not relying on the food for my survival, or to make a living, as some do. I can certainly brand you a bigger hypocrite for extolling the virtues of the natural Berkshire landscape and then building excessively large, resource-hogging mansions that ruin the environment for rich customers seeking a second home. There's balances and trade-offs to be made in life between our values and reality, so you can't always accuse people of hypocrisy because the two don't match perfectly.

Also, the whole argument started because of you, not me: you accused me of being a careless youth living off his parents' largess because I defended those who are interested and excited by anomalous weather phenomena such as destructive tornadoes and hurricanes. You made the argument personal by criticizing my lifestyle and family situation whereas I was just debating a concept, an idea. You fired the opening shot, Pete, not me. You turned an assault on an idea into an assault on my character, crossing a line between a civil debate over ideas versus an acrimonious personal argument. If you don't see this, you're blind. The biggest problem is that you don't understand that inherently, your respect and appreciation for the beauty of the Berkshires and the outdoorsy lifestyle is the same thing as an admiration and fascination with destructive storms. It's just humans standing in awe of the power of nature, the rarity of certain meteorological events whose power one only experiences a couple times in his life, and of appreciating the technological tools that allow us to track such events, which are ultimately for the betterment of society. Those who become excited and impassioned by a tornado outbreak are inherently the same as those who stand in awe of a snow-capped mountain as they vow to summit with skis. It's the same value that brings us all here, to this forum, to this passion.

Nate, my pompous, dim witted friend. This started because of your arrogant nature which you've displayed here again beautifully. You made a post stating I did not understand the difference between precip anomolies and temp anomolies. An insult as far as I'm concerned. That was the opening salvo fired by you. Here again you have the audacity to tell me, an individual that received a B.A. at age 19, an individual that started a successful company at age 20, an individual that on a daily basis deals with complex issues ranging from engineering to aesthetics, that I don't understand a rudimentary concept(s). How amusing to have a pedantic little sh*t spout such drivel my way. It is you that suffers from blindness my friend. As for the debate over anomolous weather phenomena, I was echoing the sentiment of Scoob40 that calling the day a tornado that killed neighbors and destroyed livelyhoods "the greatest day of my life" was objectionable. The statement had nothing to do with science and its pursuit. It was expressing the same sort of visceral excitement one gets from seeing a car wreck on the highway. You,however, in your rush to expel your undoubtedly boundless knowledge, missed the point entirely. I know you think you've got it all figured out but in reality you're just a coddled kid from Westchester that has little real world experience to call upon. Good luck to you as you move out into the big bad world, you're going to need it.

I don't get all this vitriol over such mundane matters. A lot of stuff happens in people's lives and worldwide to justify anger, but this stuff is silly. :rolleyes: I'm sure Nate can forgive Pete for building McMansions at 2k feet in the wilderness and Pete can forgive Nate for contemplating the extermination of raccoons. :thumbsup: They're nasty animals anyway...wiped out about 10 of my chickens one night.

WTF happened here, Pete body slamming Tubes, Kevin DD?, Gilligans Island?,damn funny stuff. Fight fight fight.

Archived