• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Summer's Swan Song

HoarfrostHubb

It is the most perfect summer wx in Napa right now. 79 and dews in the low 50s. I mean just perfect.

The marine layer at SFO actually made it feel like BOS in early June Quite chilly.

For Will.....there was def some weenie snow in the Sierra on my way in to SFO. Yes I did stare at it.

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beautiful August night, 43.1° (and dropping) at 5:30. Lake effect/enhanced showers and clouds yesterday in the 60's. Torch!

Yup, 60's yesterday, low 40's overnight. The torch is far worse than I expected. I guess we should have listened to the flatlanders with all their warnings of high heat. Just brutal.lol

It's just "normal" to see the first 40's around this date in August. Daily normal mins and maxes being only a smoothing out of 140 years of data.....

I have certainly seen widespread mid/upper 30's around this date in the colder spots so this is not remarkable.

But very nice to feel regardless. :)

Low of 60 here. Just enough of a light breeze to keep the temp from bottoming out.

The low was 49 here. Not as cold as the higher valleys/glens, but my first 40's since June. :thumbsup:

This is the 4th time this month dipping into the 40's here. Presently 51 here @ 2k with a cool breeze. I notice a lack of posts by the Warministas. August will most assuredly end up well above normal on precip and I still think temps will end up AOB normal here at least. Joe will probably end up +17 but populated metrob areas are irrelevant.lol

It's just "normal" to see the first 40's around this date in August. Daily normal mins and maxes being only a smoothing out of 140 years of data.....

I have certainly seen widespread mid/upper 30's around this date in the colder spots so this is not remarkable.

But very nice to feel regardless. :)

Not surprised to see places into the 40s, especially inland and in favored spots, in August or even July for that matter. Figured widespread 46-49 from NW CT into W MA, with some of the more favored spots in the 42-46 range. I'd guess the probability is reasonably high (~10-15%?) from July 1-August 15 of a sub-50 low, and in late-August rises dramatically given that we're less than a month from many far inland areas reaching their average first frost date. Even down along the shore we've made it into the 40s in July and August. Seems to be a once a year or once every other year occurrence during July or August, but everything has to line up perfectly.

Well you are in a perfect radiational cooling spot. You should be seeing seeing upper 30's soon if this is a normal year.

I'm in a so-so radiational cooling spot.... But an excellent spot for avoiding downsloping warm daytime highs and I can optimize snow chances in marginal temp situations. So I'm content with it. :) For the greater CD area...this about as good a spot as there is overall. I have even out performed GFL in snowfall the last few winters.

This is the 4th time this month dipping into the 40's here. Presently 51 here @ 2k with a cool breeze. I notice a lack of posts by the Warministas. August will most assuredly end up well above normal on precip and I still think temps will end up AOB normal here at least. Joe will probably end up +17 but populated metrob areas are irrelevant.lol

ORH at +1.1 for the month so far. Today will knock a tenth or 2 off

BDL +0.7

PVD +1.0

BOS +1.5

Farther north:

CON...+0.6

PWM...-0.5

BGR...-0.2

CAR...+1.9

All close except Caribou, where near constant convective precip has kept overnight temps way above avg. They're at 7.97" this month (normal August total is 3.05"), still a long way from the 12.1" in 1981, though Irene might threaten that.

Edit: Low at BML was 40, not all that unusual - I think they see 30s in many/most Augusts.

Daily norms are in a steady sink now though.... so we probably need one several day anomalous cool Canadian airmass to have a shot as getting them <normal for August.

Low dews are good enough for me... I'm happy as a clam right now. I wouldn't mind a brief warmup or 2 during the day as long as we can get cool nights.

Even if Irene misses, these storms sometimes drag in spectacular air behind them

Archived