• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Summer's Swan Song

HoarfrostHubb

To me it looks like we get a few days of above normal, followed by a few days of below normal. In the means we'll likely average above normal through early next week due to moist southerly flow (high overnight mins relative to normal) then the second half of next week looks below normal as H85 air falls into the single digits above 0C.

The usual fall pattern of ups and downs... but no prolonged periods of either hot or cold weather relative to normal. As others have said, it looks pretty average in the means.

Precipitation looks above normal though, that's for sure. The period of Sunday-Monday looks quite wet... this is just what the NNE mountain towns do not need right now while clean-up and road/bridge work begins...

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah looks like a "normal" autumn with no spectacular departures either way at least according to this guy. No problems here MRG other than a few branches down and no power loss anywhere in the lower valley.

Good, good. We did well but there is destruction around every turn here. My AK friend and I are going to go on a long hike/fish down in the gorge this weekend. I'm curious to see how the bottom of the riverbed has been altered. Hoping to find a treasure chest full of gold that has been exposed after centuries of being buried. I think we'll just see a steady, normal decline in temps. September and early October can provide some of the most comfortable weather of the year. I'm growing ever more confident that we're in for a big Winter.

To me it looks like we get a few days of above normal, followed by a few days of below normal. In the means we'll likely average above normal through early next week due to moist southerly flow (high overnight mins relative to normal) then the second half of next week looks below normal as H85 air falls into the single digits above 0C.

The usual fall pattern of ups and downs... but no prolonged periods of either hot or cold weather relative to normal. As others have said, it looks pretty average in the means.

Precipitation looks above normal though, that's for sure. The period of Sunday-Monday looks quite wet... this is just what the NNE mountain towns do not need right now while clean-up and road/bridge work begins...

More rain will not be good here as well Scott. The roads around here have been choked with dump trucks and tri-axles running fill around to repair numerous washouts of roads. Saw an area today that had a mudslide about the size of 2 football fields. The whole hillside slid down about 50'. On the bright side the long Summer months are behind us and we're now in the final descent into our favorite time of year.

Good riddence to Summer.... One hour and our three month nightmare is over. :devilsmiley: 53/77 here today. 60 here now.

More rain will not be good here as well Scott. The roads around here have been choked with dump trucks and tri-axles running fill around to repair numerous washouts of roads. Saw an area today that had a mudslide about the size of 2 football fields. The whole hillside slid down about 50'. On the bright side the long Summer months are behind us and we're now in the final descent into our favorite time of year.

Good, good. We did well but there is destruction around every turn here. My AK friend and I are going to go on a long hike/fish down in the gorge this weekend. I'm curious to see how the bottom of the riverbed has been altered. Hoping to find a treasure chest full of gold that has been exposed after centuries of being buried. I think we'll just see a steady, normal decline in temps. September and early October can provide some of the most comfortable weather of the year. I'm growing ever more confident that we're in for a big Winter.

If it's anytihng like the Deerfiled and the North Rivers, you'll likely see the "clear cutting" of the forest around the river banks to the levels where the waters rose. Amazing to see all that bare ground that was once all non-stressed trees.

Warm morning.

62.4/58

If it's anytihng like the Deerfiled and the North Rivers, you'll likely see the "clear cutting" of the forest around the river banks to the levels where the waters rose. Amazing to see all that bare ground that was once all non-stressed trees.

Warm morning.

62.4/58

:devilsmiley:

52.5/52

Still without power. 89 hours and counting.

Minor inconvenience. The nice weather makes it tolerable. Plenty of others fared worse so I'm not going to complain too loudly. On an unrelated topic, it's nice to turn the calendar page to September.

Yes it has. Colors will really start to come out in a few weeks. Looks like some nice cool shots starting next week too.

Its an absolutely depressing morning, the end of met summer is awful, thank God we still have two more months of warm enoyable weather and at least a month of beach weather, warm warm warm for the forseeable future, and after week 1 September will be well above normal, hopefully this trends continues right through the upcoming winter.

Its an absolutely depressing morning, the end of met summer is awful, thank God we still have two more months of warm enoyable weather and at least a month of beach weather, warm warm warm for the forseeable future, and after week 1 September will be well above normal, hopefully this trends continues right through the upcoming winter.

Looking to stir the pot this morning I see.

:lol:

:devilsmiley:

Still without power. 89 hours and counting.

I can certainly empathize. Our power just came on this morning after 96 hours. Batteries were running low so it was a good thing. I was going to have to go out the weekend and find a generator to charge them.

Cold showers are not fun....if you have running water which we are fortunate to have had.

I'm sure almost all the met's couldn't help but secretly wish it was a cat 3 up here just because it would have been so fascinating to observe. It's like the heart surgeon that must be really fascinated to have a chance to work on a patient that has a really difficult condition. You didn't make it happen, but you find it fascinating.

He's not stirring anything because we undestand that he doesn't control the weather....just as he didn't flip out on me for wishing Irene were a cat 3 upon impact.

I miss the only NCEP models page...that was deactivated a few days ago.. It was a lot easier to jump through the different parameters of the model on the simple one page chart. This new page just makes you work harder.

I haven't used that page in a while. FWIW twisterdata is a pretty nice site.

I miss the only NCEP models page...that was deactivated a few days ago.. It was a lot easier to jump through the different parameters of the model on the simple one page chart. This new page just makes you work harder.

I was thinking the same thing as you were typing that, Rick. Once Scott referenced the GFS, I went over there and was thinking how many more steps it take to get what you want to see. There are some elements of it that I do like though--most notably the ability to loop the time periods. That saves a lot of time. Once you get your parameters set, that is.

70.8/64

Archived