Newest Member
    amirah5
Summer's Swan Song

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 weeks my friend

If you don't ski until December, I'll be on snow before then. I opened a youtube account to post storm clips but I also tried to test the gopro clips. This should get you psyched to hunt powder at Wawa.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SkiTalkeetna1?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/KW52f9UDZaU

If you don't ski until December, I'll be on snow before then. I opened a youtube account to post storm clips but I also tried to test the gopro clips. This should get you psyched to hunt powder at Wawa.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SkiTalkeetna1?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/KW52f9UDZaU

I figured Thanksgiving...guess i cant count

I'll watch those crazy vids and imagine myself there as i glide on the groomed

MPM!! Nice to see you!!

Thanks, Pete. The "internet fairy" came overnight and I am once again connected. Yay!

Did fine here on the grassy knoll, but what a mess down below. I went into the Falls yesterday to check my e-mail (I could get a 3G connection down there) and got a sense of the craziness. Took many pictures and video of the Deerfield. I guess it went right up to the Bridge of Flowers! Both the BOF and the Iron Bridge were closes and will likely continue to be so until the waters recede.

Meanwhile, Mohawk (that's the western Franklin County school district for those of you out of the area) has delayed the start of school for a week. My first grader is elated. Mom and Dad? Not so much. lol

The past few mornings have felt like early autumn in the big city of SNE. Sidenote: The squirrels are getting obese....good news...

All of the wild apple trees are absolutely laden with fruit. Many flocks of migrating birds can be seen daily (I've heard a few honks from geese flying at night as well.) All good news.

I noticed the rodents panicking sat, afternoon they have built in barometers the twister went right over my head over here in Queens thanks to a met on these boards i was probably the only one on the block who will ever know how close we came to a touchdown .The wind field dramatically changed for 10-20 secunds and 2 trees went down and my neighnbors will never know how close to a diaster had been diverted Whiteoutwx can concur because we both in shock at about 3:58 a.m she was cooking at 55 m.p.h.

Finally back on the East Coast after CA. What an awesome time we had...even got to see some weenie snow in the Sierra..lol. We did have one crisis that arose, but luckily we settled that after a few hours.

A fooking forest fire began the day we were supposed to go into Yosemite National Park. You could see the smoke from 100 miles away as it formed a freakin CB with an anvil and everything. I joked with my wife..."watch that be Yosemite" LOL. SO we drive int the Sierra which alone is a beautiful experience. You start with these golden foothills at the base of the Sierra. They are gold from all the dead grass. Then you go into these mtns that are between 2 and 6K ASL. Many of these are aligned with scattered evergreen trees, but nothing fully forested since the climate is still warm and dry. As you go further east, the elevation climbs again and now mountain are fully forested with large conifers. Huge conifers. Eventually the highest Sierra are more Rocky in nature mostly above 11K.

Anyways as we got through the foothills, I noticed the smoke becoming more visible. This was a big fire. We pulled over in Mariposa which is a town about 20 miles outside the park to double check the location of our hotel which was right at the west entrance to Yosemite. I walked into the visitor's center to be yelling things like "What do you mean the road is closed" and "how do we get to our hotel." This was the oh sh*t moment as that fire closed the road to the west entrance of Yosemite and we could not get to our hotel at all...even if we were already in the park and trying to head out. So what the heck do we do? Well we had to scramble to a coffee shop in the middle of nowhere that had wifi and try to find another hotel in the area. After about 3-4 hrs we found a comfort in about 30 miles down the road. Not the best, but at least it was near the south entrance to the park, near the giant Sequoia trees. Everyone told us that the road could be back open that evening and we might be able to get back to our hotel, but based on what I saw, I told my wife no way would that be open. Luckily it was a good call as the road just opened yesterday. Sucked that we had to cancel and stay at some meh comfort inn, but it worked out. Otherwise, trip went along smoothly. SFO is beautiful, but it was pretty chilly there.

I had Channell 22 on last night and they had what has to be the WORST weather-teaser to get people to watch the news. It went something like this:

(Brian Lappis): "Tomorrow's going to be another nice day, but there will be a slight change in temperatures. Tune in at 11:00 to see if they will go up or down!"

Boy, talk about getting people's attention.

66.5/59

Finally back on the East Coast after CA. What an awesome time we had...even got to see some weenie snow in the Sierra..lol. We did have one crisis that arose, but luckily we settled that after a few hours.

A fooking forest fire began the day we were supposed to go into Yosemite National Park. You could see the smoke from 100 miles away as it formed a freakin CB with an anvil and everything. I joked with my wife..."watch that be Yosemite" LOL. SO we drive int the Sierra which alone is a beautiful experience. You start with these golden foothills at the base of the Sierra. They are gold from all the dead grass. Then you go into these mtns that are between 2 and 6K ASL. Many of these are aligned with scattered evergreen trees, but nothing fully forested since the climate is still warm and dry. As you go further east, the elevation climbs again and now mountain are fully forested with large conifers. Huge conifers. Eventually the highest Sierra are more Rocky in nature mostly above 11K.

Anyways as we got through the foothills, I noticed the smoke becoming more visible. This was a big fire. We pulled over in Mariposa which is a town about 20 miles outside the park to double check the location of our hotel which was right at the west entrance to Yosemite. I walked into the visitor's center to be yelling things like "What do you mean the road is closed" and "how do we get to our hotel." This was the oh sh*t moment as that fire closed the road to the west entrance of Yosemite and we could not get to our hotel at all...even if we were already in the park and trying to head out. So what the heck do we do? Well we had to scramble to a coffee shop in the middle of nowhere that had wifi and try to find another hotel in the area. After about 3-4 hrs we found a comfort in about 30 miles down the road. Not the best, but at least it was near the south entrance to the park, near the giant Sequoia trees. Everyone told us that the road could be back open that evening and we might be able to get back to our hotel, but based on what I saw, I told my wife no way would that be open. Luckily it was a good call as the road just opened yesterday. Sucked that we had to cancel and stay at some meh comfort inn, but it worked out. Otherwise, trip went along smoothly. SFO is beautiful, but it was pretty chilly there.

Sounds like a good time. Sucks about the massive forest fire..but other than a few used condoms on the floor..I'm sure te Comfort Inn was fine.

Please go away every time a trpocila system is threatening the east coast.

Sounds like a good time. Sucks about the massive forest fire..but other than a few used condoms on the floor..I'm sure te Comfort Inn was fine.

Please go away every time a trpocila system is threatening the east coast.

LOL, it wasn't that bad. I won't lose sleep on a TS hitting us, glad it wasn't worse. If it were something like a strong CAT 1, I would have been pretty pissed.

82 warm and sunny, great way to end August, ensuring another above normal month, and an above normal summer. Looks like September is another sizzler......in the contest thread its 99% torch calls.

While August was above normal the last 2-3 weeks were quite cool however, it was that first week that put us ahead for good...

While August was above normal the last 2-3 weeks were quite cool however, it was that first week that put us ahead for good...

Who cares it was above normal. September is going to be an oven. No school till tuesday, thinking more like wed or thur, way too many lines and transformers down, are your kids old enough for school yet?

Archived