e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
8.13-8.15 rain and storm event

Ian

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say LWX hoisting a flood watch at 4am after the NAM came out was akin or worse than the WSW we got for the Boxing Day storm. Sometimes you gotta wonder at least a little.

Hope Isohume doesnt see this, he will give you his lecture on not IYB watches :guitar:

Got a few towers here but nothing else just bright sunshine and 89 degrees

Rain events this time of year, are absolutely horrible to predict, especially where the QPF max will be. You lose the baroclinicity and strong advection processes that occur in the winter to throw back QPF, so you're left with the mercy of trying to find where a 30kt LLJ is going to be shoved over a front in the lower levels. Today, it was up in NYC. I didn't really look at what was modeled down here, but it seemed like PHL on northeast into NYC was always ground zero. Models are still struggling up there. They more or less become nowcast events.

This was one of those events where you know a sh*tload will fall...just a matter of where. All you can really do is trying to narrow down there area, and go from there. We also don't have a well developed surface low at this time, but we do have a deepening trough which sometimes acts to keep the tropical plume in place..such as in the NYC area.

for now it looks like Sat could be a decent storm day (though we know how that goes, timing could be an issue) and Sun could have our first miller b screwjob of the coming winter? ;)

funny thing is my tuesday night 'cast was better than my day before one.

Archived