amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec. 12-13th yikes!

SEWinterWxF

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't look like a great storm for the Western Part of NC.

Guess we will see.

its nothing in the western parts compared to the widespread 18" amounts in central /coastal plain of NC, some sections of 24" if I read that right. But the track is pretty good to get a lot of folks in the game Tn , n Ala, n Ga , w SC most of NC and up the coast as a blizzard. But, its the GFS past 120.

what do you mean? Western NC will be north of the 0 line. (rain/snow indicator)

Lack of qpf(precip) is what he means. Notice how it dry slots NE Georgia, upstate SC, and western NC. :( However, there is plenty of time to watch it so of course the models will change for the better and worse.

Hey, at least this thread is better than the Dec. 18th thread that jumped the gun today...:rolleyes: Can't wait to see what mid-December has in store for us, great first snow from this clipper this weekend!

yeah, lol... IDK why I was thinking jumping the gun?? JUMP! JUMP!:gun_bandana:

Yikes! Look out! This could be a massive snow storm according to the 0z GFS run of 12/5/10. This storm is within 7 to 8 more days. So, its getting closer to the short range.

gfs_pcp_192m.gif

0z GFS Ensemble member agrees. First image shows a similar output. The 0z Euro, however, has a 987mb low popped just to the north of NC with another massive cold air intrusion at hr. 192 as well.

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/members/00zf192.html

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/euro/00zeuro850mbTSLPUS192.gif

It looks nice, but these northern stream impulses are exceptionally hard to predict how they can evolve in the longwave trough pattern. From the 500mb maps, I don't really see much of a strong 500mb low in the NE or Canada that can keep this system suppressed. Thus, I feel like the gfs jumping this system to the coast is not very likely and we will most likely be looking more as a miller B senerio. Not bad for folks up in the NE, but most of us in the Carolinas and Southeast in generally will be dealing with mainly rain. I'd love to be wrong though.

WRAL has highs in the mid 50s for here next weekend. :arrowhead:

Actually I can see us getting highs in the lower 50s a couple of days before the storm; then a winter storm. The patteren will relax as the storm system dives south. The less bullish 6z GFS looks like a CAD setup (initially) and then a storm developing/jumping to the coast. But the 6z has a lot less precip (maybe .5 liquid).

this mornings HPC long range prelim disco

BY DAY 7 SUNDAY BOTH 00Z/06Z GFS/DGEX AND ESPECIALLY

00Z ECMWF HAVE A VERY WELL DEVELOPED SHORTWAVE WITH CLOSED MID

LEVEL LOW POTENTIAL. 00Z ECMWF THAN TAKES ANOTHER DIGGING

SHORTWAVE SOUTHWARD THRU CENTRAL CANADA AND PHASES IT INTO THE OH

VALLEY CLOSED LOW LATE DAY 7 AND DAY 8 CREATING A HYPER STORM WITH

CONCURRENCE BY DGEX. THIS EXTREME SOLUTION IS SIMILAR TO THE GREAT

STORM OF 25-26 NOV 1950. WHAT IS DISCONCERTING IS THAT CPC D+8 TO

D+11 ANALOGS HAVE INDICATED A SYNOPTIC PATTERN MATCHING THOSE

DATES FOR WEEKS INCLUDING TODAYS. THAT WAS ALSO A LA NINA YEAR

WITH A STRONG NEGATIVE NAO. DUE TO DECREASING MODEL VERIFICATION

AT THAT TIME WITH A SUDDEN CONTINUITY CHANGE IT IS PRUDENT TO STAY

AWAY FOR THIS TYPE OF SOLUTION AT LEAST FOR NOW. WHAT IS AGREED

UPON IS THE OVERALL PATTERN OF A RETURN OF WRN CONUS/ROCKY MTN

RIDGING AND A DEEP ERN CONUS TROF.

00Z GFS AND 06Z GFS WHILE DIGGING THIS SHORTWAVE AND CREATING A

POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT ERN CONUS STORM ELIMINATE THE PHASING

POTENTIAL OF ECMWF BUT STILL HAVE AN ANALOG CORRELATION TO THE

ABOVE MENTIONED NOV 1950 EPISODE. A COMPROMISE SOLUTION THAT STILL

YIELDS THE POTENTIAL FOR CENTRAL AND ERN DEEPENING CYLOGENESIS IS

THE 06Z RUN OF THE GFS AND THIS WAS USED AS BASE FOR HPC MORNING

UPDATED PROGS.

WRAL has highs in the mid 50s for here next weekend. :arrowhead:

Not a bad forecast considering the de-amplifying jet the end of this week. Those numbers are basically normal for this time of year so you shouldnt be arrowhead smiling. They are not putting in major snowstorm 7-9 days out now when there is no continuity between models. Enjoy the snow you just had and dont hold your hat on one model that says snow but then changes back to mild and rain.

It looks nice, but these northern stream impulses are exceptionally hard to predict how they can evolve in the longwave trough pattern. From the 500mb maps, I don't really see much of a strong 500mb low in the NE or Canada that can keep this system suppressed. Thus, I feel like the gfs jumping this system to the coast is not very likely and we will most likely be looking more as a miller B senerio. Not bad for folks up in the NE, but most of us in the Carolinas and Southeast in generally will be dealing with mainly rain. I'd love to be wrong though.

excellent post about how difficult its going to be to get the amplification right. The models could be off quite a bit as to where it happens.

this mornings HPC long range prelim disco

BY DAY 7 SUNDAY BOTH 00Z/06Z GFS/DGEX AND ESPECIALLY

00Z ECMWF HAVE A VERY WELL DEVELOPED SHORTWAVE WITH CLOSED MID

LEVEL LOW POTENTIAL. 00Z ECMWF THAN TAKES ANOTHER DIGGING

SHORTWAVE SOUTHWARD THRU CENTRAL CANADA AND PHASES IT INTO THE OH

VALLEY CLOSED LOW LATE DAY 7 AND DAY 8 CREATING A HYPER STORM WITH

CONCURRENCE BY DGEX. THIS EXTREME SOLUTION IS SIMILAR TO THE GREAT

STORM OF 25-26 NOV 1950. WHAT IS DISCONCERTING IS THAT CPC D+8 TO

D+11 ANALOGS HAVE INDICATED A SYNOPTIC PATTERN MATCHING THOSE

DATES FOR WEEKS INCLUDING TODAYS. THAT WAS ALSO A LA NINA YEAR

WITH A STRONG NEGATIVE NAO. DUE TO DECREASING MODEL VERIFICATION

AT THAT TIME WITH A SUDDEN CONTINUITY CHANGE IT IS PRUDENT TO STAY

AWAY FOR THIS TYPE OF SOLUTION AT LEAST FOR NOW. WHAT IS AGREED

UPON IS THE OVERALL PATTERN OF A RETURN OF WRN CONUS/ROCKY MTN

RIDGING AND A DEEP ERN CONUS TROF.

00Z GFS AND 06Z GFS WHILE DIGGING THIS SHORTWAVE AND CREATING A

POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT ERN CONUS STORM ELIMINATE THE PHASING

POTENTIAL OF ECMWF BUT STILL HAVE AN ANALOG CORRELATION TO THE

ABOVE MENTIONED NOV 1950 EPISODE. A COMPROMISE SOLUTION THAT STILL

YIELDS THE POTENTIAL FOR CENTRAL AND ERN DEEPENING CYLOGENESIS IS

THE 06Z RUN OF THE GFS AND THIS WAS USED AS BASE FOR HPC MORNING

UPDATED PROGS.

Its probably a very good pattern for eastern NC with the NAO where it is and the 50/50, which is stilla tough call 7 to 9 days out but if it sharpens over eastern GA to eastern Carolinas, you'd be in for a snowstorm for the books.

excellent post about how difficult its going to be to get the amplification right. The models could be off quite a bit as to where it happens.

Its probably a very good pattern for eastern NC with the NAO where it is and the 50/50, which is stilla tough call 7 to 9 days out but if it sharpens over eastern GA to eastern Carolinas, you'd be in for a snowstorm for the books.

I'll take a snowstorm for the books but to be honest i was very impressed with yesterdays clipper. The snowfall here at times was ridiculous. Downeastnc was deer hunting and had a pic of the snow with the ground bare and just 7 minutes later (I think it was 7 not sure) the ground was white.

All we can do is hope for the best but this winter has already produced an accumulating snowfall for me.

Also I am stuck behind firewalls here at work and have trouble getting on certain sites but does anyone have a snowfall history for the Nov 25-26th storm they refer too?

Not a bad forecast considering the de-amplifying jet the end of this week. Those numbers are basically normal for this time of year so you shouldnt be arrowhead smiling. They are not putting in major snowstorm 7-9 days out now when there is no continuity between models. Enjoy the snow you just had and dont hold your hat on one model that says snow but then changes back to mild and rain.

Often that far out most will stick to climo. In my view there is no point in a 7 or 10 day forecast being issued but I guess the public wants to see it. Overall at that range the pattern is the key to watch rather than individual storms models are spitting out. If the setup is there so is the potential for something good to materialize even if it doesn't match up exactly with today's 300 hour GFS forecast.

The HPC was mentioning the 1950 APP storm which bombed out in central Ohio. Behind it sent temps below zero into part of the Southeast,in November which was unheard of. It was a special setup with strong blocking and hi amp. flow. Just for kicks, nobody is saying this is happening again, just that HPC mentioned some analogs.

post-38-0-93455000-1291562930.jpg

post-38-0-98427500-1291562951.jpg

The HPC was mentioning the 1950 APP storm which bombed out in central Ohio. Behind it sent temps below zero into part of the Southeast,in November which was unheard of. It was a special setup with strong blocking and hi amp. flow. Just for kicks, nobody is saying this is happening again, just that HPC mentioned some analogs.

post-38-0-93455000-1291562930.jpg

post-38-0-98427500-1291562951.jpg

Robert - You're starting to get my attention. I'll definately be paying attention this week.....:snowman:

Archived