amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec. 12-13th yikes!

SEWinterWxF

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In regards to next weekends storm, all our excitement over the past few model runs is based on a modeled northern stream piece of energy that is forecasted to dig down and phase causing a ECS cyclogenesis. The pattern screams for being ripe and thus you have mets like JB, who to his credit see the oppurtunity/potential that exist, beating the drum. In the same way, the models sense this as well and thus the past few runs you see them jumping this northern piece of energy in 6-7 days and offering full phased solutions. It is a crap shoot inside 48 hours for any model to be able to pickup on a northen piece of energy dropping down and causing a fully phased storm. let alone 7 days out. I will never forget Jan 2000. No model had a clue, even 24 hours out and lo & behold a little piece of energy dropped down into the SE and boom. I am on-board beleiving something big could be in the works over the next 10 days, but I would be shocked if the models actually handpicked out a piece of energy that doesn't even exist yet coming down a phasing a blockbuster ECS.

JB seems to think no matter what, something is coming to rail the SE/NE..."so get ready!" Per JB we'll be bulding many of these: :snowman:

We'll see though...this definitely has time to improve/worsen, but I can't wait to follow a big daddy this year as it seems we'll have at least once chance to cash in.

What's your major at NCSU?

I understand, you just have to explain sometimes that it's a 24 snapshot, not what we're used to. You and I may know that but others may not.

I always used to get excited about the ridiculous QPF totals that the JMA put out, then I realized that they were 24-hour totals, not 6-hour totals. arrowheadsmiley.png

100:1 odds that me or you even see a flake from this.

Little off topic, looks like the Volunteers and UNC in the Music City Bowl...Should be a nice match-up. I'm assuming that's your team after seeing your avatar. The Vols are mine. Anyway, I'll take odds that the upper deck in Nashville will be cold on December 30th.

NC State to start the year next year...I think.

Little off topic, looks like the Volunteers and UNC in the Music City Bowl...Should be a nice match-up. I'm assuming that's your team after seeing your avatar. The Vols are mine. Anyway, I'll take odds that the upper deck in Nashville will be cold on December 30th.

NC State to start the year next year...I think.

Yep, it should be a good matchup. Should be a huge HFA for Tennessee.

What's your major at NCSU?

I always used to get excited about the ridiculous QPF totals that the JMA put out, then I realized that they were 24-hour totals, not 6-hour totals. arrowheadsmiley.png

Biological Sciences...Senior, almost done. Can't say if I could go back I wouldn't do meteorology, but I enjoy this as a hobby!

If the euro has another inland track at 0z that would be the way I would have to go. In previous years once the euro locked in on an inland track and the gfs showed a coastal it was the gfs that ended up going to the euro solution in the end. Hopefully this being a different year it will be different but I would have to go w/ past history.

If the euro has another inland runner at 0z that would be the way I would have to go. In previous years once the euro locked in on an inland track and the gfs showed a coastal it was the gfs that ended up going to the euro solution in the end. Hopefully this being a different year it will be different but I would have to go w/ past history.

The GFS so far this year from what i have followed has been kicking the Euro and CMC's butt. start back in early Nov when both of those two models showed a major phased storm and the GFS said not so fast. Most of us said it was GFS bias and we were wrong. Same thing for the storm that is being suppressed early this week JMA, Euro and the CMC had a southern storm and lakes cutter. GFS said no sir! and it looks like it will come out on top. GFS is the model of choice when it comes to northern branch features. Southern Stream i would go with the Euro and CMC.

If the euro has another inland track at 0z that would be the way I would have to go. In previous years once the euro locked in on an inland track and the gfs showed a coastal it was the gfs that ended up going to the euro solution in the end. Hopefully this being a different year it will be different but I would have to go w/ past history.

the more important thing to look at is how the blocking is handled on both the 0z models and compare the euro and GFS.... if the block holds like the GFS shows on 18z then there is no way this comes inland

Didnt know that. I guess I will refrain from posting them in the future.:arrowhead:

No big deal... Not sure how they are going about this issue here, but it was a no no on the old board RIP. I use Earl Barkers page for the JMA through 144, updates a little slow, but the graphics are better than SV imo. Don't put much faith though in the JMA at this range, as you can not determine ensemble support. Big 3, GFS, GGEM, and ECMWF, are much better tools at this range since you can compare the operational run to its ensemble mean, and look at the spread, or agreement in the individual members.

Yep, it should be a good matchup. Should be a huge HFA for Tennessee.

Serves the Vols right(even though they are my team) for pulling out of that two game series w/ you all. Most folks up here weren't a big fan of the UT AD's decision to do that. This is our first time to that bowl BTW. As for the HFA, I think the lower deck and club boxes are already sold out. So, dat be true about the home field. And to all weather folks out there, that's my last OT post for the evening.

I'll post some snow pics later of Roan Mountain in the thread for that event.

Archived