12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Dec. 12-13th yikes!

SEWinterWxF

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldnt call the 1950 storm a good analog as it was more of a inland Apps runner, while this storm is being modeled as a Noreaster/ Coastal storm :whistle:

Since you mention the App storm of 1950. Here is a good wrieup from the Jackson,KY weather Office regarding that storm. Yeah it was a App runner but, at one point did skip to the piedmont before backtracking into the eastern Ohio Valley.

http://www.crh.noaa....achianstorm1950

Check out that snow totals map Cyclonic. the town I used to live in here in Lee County (Pennington gap) reported 17" from that one. The higher eles surrounding the town reported over 2 feet!

I noticed the tri-cities didn't fair nearly as well.

Since you mention the App storm of 1950. Here is a good wrieup from the Jackson,KY weather Office regarding that storm. Yeah it was a App runner but, at one point did skip to the piedmont before backtracking into the eastern Ohio Valley.

http://www.crh.noaa....achianstorm1950

Check out that snow totals map Cyclonic. the town I used to live in here in Lee County (Pennington gap) reported 17" from that one. The higher eles surrounding the town reported over 2 feet!

I noticed the tri-cities didn't fair nearly as well.

Thanks and yeah that was a hell of a storm for my backyard also.:thumbsup:

On a side note here is the 12zgfs ensembles

f180.gif

Thanks and yeah that was a hell of a storm for my backyard also.:thumbsup:

On a side note here is the 12zgfs ensembles

Thanks for posting, not one for the e-wall ens graphics, this is from Allan's model page...

174hrs

180hrs

post-382-0-96111700-1291577938.png

192hrs

post-382-0-08193100-1291577955.png

Considerable spread, but a strong signal none the less for a storm in the period. They actually look in better agreement than the 0z members, and 192hrs is fairly good agreement at this stage, just the track to get there is what has sig spread. A couple of these showing a TN Valley track could translate into another high-shear low-instab severe weather event for portions of the SE.

Thanks for posting, not one for the e-wall ens graphics, this is from Allan's model page...

Considerable spread, but a strong signal none the less for a storm in the period. They actually look in better agreement than the 0z members, and 192hrs is fairly good agreement at this stage, just the track to get there is what has sig spread. A couple of these showing a TN Valley track could translate into another high-shear low-instab severe weather event for portions of the SE.

Well if it does work out to be another HSLC event at least may help to re-establish a favorable height field.

I would have posted Alans because I like his better also, but I cant seem to get a postable image of ALL of them. How did you? Screenshot?

cmd - (to zoom out one) and cmd shift 4 (to screen capture), this is on a mac though. On my windows machine running safari, I zoom out once, using the zoom tool in safari, and use the clip tool to screen capture in vista.

12z Canadian ens similar to the GFS, strong signal for a storm in, or near the NE at 192hrs, just the track to get there is what does not show any meaningful agreement.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/ensemble/index_e.html

That would be a bad setup for a lot of folks on this board in the SE. I cannot find my bookmark, but Raleigh's research site shows a setup for heavy snow at RDU and HKY. The set up accusuck is showing would be rain for many.

BIG STORM

I don't know why they don't say the SE. That track that is in the blue would bring snowfall to the SE as well.

BIG STORM

I don't know why they don't say the SE. That track that is in the blue would bring snowfall to the SE as well.

Accuwx is biased towards the Mid Atlantic and NE, and the blue track would only bring snowfall to the extreme northern fringes of the SE.

Not to mention the fact that they hype everything up for attention, your best bet is to listen to some of the veterans on this board, and throw Accuwx in the garbage.:whistle:

I am hearing the Euro ensembles are more like the GFS operational run, just not as far east. Probably still an inland track,, but nice to see something there to track.

12z ECMWF ens mean...

12zecmwfenstropical500mbSLP168.gif

12zecmwfenstropical500mbSLP192.gif

Stronger signal than the 12z GFS ens mean, but not a SN-storm track for most folks outside of NE, still over a week out though, and things will change, but one would want an OTS track at this stage compared to the TN Valley.

Classic miller screw track there. Need a south trend.

Models still differ on timing, track, and location of this low. Once this gets in the 120hr. view we would really be getting more details. I know for sure, there is something out there, that we are going to get slammed. With the cold air in place yeah!

JB seems to think no matter what, something is coming to rail the SE/NE..."so get ready!" Per JB we'll be bulding many of these: :snowman:

We'll see though...this definitely has time to improve/worsen, but I can't wait to follow a big daddy this year as it seems we'll have at least once chance to cash in.

Archived