• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec. 12-13th yikes!

SEWinterWxF

The ECM and GFS remind me of the Blizzard of 96, I know it's a long way out, but cant help but notice the simularities :weight_lift:

Which was during a La Nina

:popcorn:

Larry or someone else good with climo can correct me, but I think the ATL area got an inch or two from that storm. We have pictures of it since we had family come up from Florida, at the time we lived in Marietta and it looks like ~2" of snow was on the ground.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS is not a good run for SE except maybe Tennessee. It would indicate mostly rain with maybe a change over to snow for some. But we know how that usually ends up. This is only one model run and I'm sure we're going to see a lot flip flopping for the next few days (until 5 days out).

Exactly, The important thing is that it's still there :thumbsup:

During the winter of '95-'96, wasn't there a storm that went coast to coast - dumping a bunch of snow in NE TN? While looking for this I found a great article on the January Blizzard of '96. I also noticed an article called the July 1995 Heat Wave. I though that sounded pretty interesting after the summer we just had. Is their a correlation? I don't know yet. Seems like this Nina is stronger and not weakening yet. Anyway, I digress. What I'm looking for is synoptic overview for the big dump of snow in this area that happened. I think that is the storm that may resemble the set-up for the current storm we are discussing for late this week and early next. Is the Blizzard '96 link, that set-up? Here are the links to those articles....

Blizzard '96

Heat Wave '95

Edit: Cyclonic: Check out pg A-5 and A-6 of the Blizzard article. And folks, I know this is the Holy Grail of weather. I'm not saying this is going to happen. Could be just a lakes cutter...or never develop for this area at all - most likely outcome.

Miller b's tend to screw some people but they can be good for us here in TN.:guitar:

I already posted this earlier but will post again. I know this is the Hot Rod of Miller B's but this proves they can be good for Both NC and TN

06%20-%20Blizzard%20of%201996%20NESIS.jpg

No dice south of I-40 or east of I-85. Thankfully I was on Long Island for this one :).

No dice south of I-40 or east of I-85. Thankfully I was on Long Island for this one :).

That was one of my most favorite winter storms (lived in Wake Forest at time). 14 hours of sleet!!! Ended up with over 5" on the ground. You could walk righ on top without going through. One week after the storm Capital Blvd going into Raleigh still only had one full lane open. **So this map is a little miss-leading, the lower snow areas had a lot of ice mixed in.

That was one of my most favorite winter storms (lived in Wake Forest at time). 14 hours of sleet!!! Ended up with over 5" on the ground. You could walk righ on top without going through. One week after the storm Capital Blvd going into Raleigh still only had one full lane open. **So this map is a little miss-leading, the lower snow areas had a lot of ice mixed in.

Yeah, we complain about getting sleet instead of snow but several inches of sleet followed by normal cold will shutdown a southern city for days on end. There's a lot of frozen liquid in sleet compared to snow.

And I'd bet my last dollar that'll verify

There is *no* comparison to the 96 blizzard people so it's stupid to talk about it.

Its just as stupid to say that there is no comparison when just a model run earlier the 500 mb pattern was nearly a spot on match to the 96 storm. So lets not say one scenario is stupid just because of one model run.

This storm has a thread for discussion and the 96 storm looked to be a good analog for some earlier model runs. So that was a valid discussion.

This is still a ways out and could end up being a GLC or a Miller A, until then I like a strong Miller b and the 96 storm is fair game right now :gun_bandana:

Archived