• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid July SNE Torch en route!

HoarfrostHubb

It's a beautiful hike and summit. :) It is a nice gradual ascent so most people can manage it..tallest peak in the Catskills at 4200', but definitely not the toughest hike.

You're right, it is south of him at 42.02N latitude. I wasn't sure where it was since I've never heard of it so I checked google maps which put it at near Lake Placid. Last time I trust those guys from Mountain View CA!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. It hasn't been a "cool, wet, summer" as Pete claims though. With temps for the summer (considering June and July so far) around +1 to +1.5 and precip slightly below normal I don't know how you can spin that to be "cool and wet."

Its actually been a wet summer everywhere so far. Precip is above normal. But its been drier in July than it was in June, but not nearly enough to offset it yet.

People who claim its been a torch summer are dead wrong too. It hasn't been cool either. We've been seasonably warm. (which is a fancy way of saying slightly above average). July 2009 and July 2010 are the extremes when the entire month had a departure of 3.5 or 4.

Well as we know.... The truth in our region is that we get the occasional rainy thaw in most winters and see our snow cover decimated. I can only recall a few winters where we escaped that kind of thaw. Places like the Berks and Cats tend to get it back pretty fast though.

I think you mean Slide Mountain is south of Pete. It is at about 42N ...or at the same latitude as the northern border of CT above BDL.. I guess maybe 25-30 miles south of Pete's latitude.

I think we ALL get that rainy thaw most years unfortunately!! That's kind of my point. To me rare means something with a return period greater than 10 years. If most places in this region are averaging at least a few days per January of snowless ground, well, that's not "rare" to me since it occurs almost every year. Sure one can blame the measurements and poor data and what not, but at some point even really crappy data can't overcome the overwhelming statistical reality.

Its actually been a wet summer everywhere so far. Precip is above normal. But its been drier in July than it was in June, but not nearly enough to offset it yet.

People who claim its been a torch summer are dead wrong too. It hasn't been cool either. We've been seasonably warm. (which is a fancy way of saying slightly above average). July 2009 and July 2010 are the extremes when the entire month had a departure of 3.5 or 4.

I perversely enjoy this map, YTD departures42d4d0af-f5ea-cc5b.jpg

I have hiked the Catskills a lot and you have to get over 3K feet to be safe from total snow cover decimation. Over 3K feet there is usually enough to withstand even the worst thaws. Under 3K many a year you get a January thaw that wipes out a lot of snow - only to get it all back and build on it right through March into April.

In 1996 there was 5 feet of snow cover after the Blizzard and all but the summit areas were decimated two weeks later. The summit areas were down to a frozen foot or so after that.

I think we ALL get that rainy thaw most years unfortunately!! That's kind of my point. To me rare means something with a return period greater than 10 years. If most places in this region are averaging at least a few days per January of snowless ground, well, that's not "rare" to me since it occurs almost every year. Sure one can blame the measurements and poor data and what not, but at some point even really crappy data can't overcome the overwhelming statistical reality.

Ok--fair enough, thanks for the clarification. My point is still valid though that Pete is wrong about a cool and rainy summer. It may have been wet, but it hasn't been outrageously wet or dry, but it has been warm. It is pretty amazing how extreme 2009 and 2010 are....and there is a chance 2011 could follow with departures of +3 on average in SNE and more positive departures on the way. July is one of the hardest months to get huge positive departures though, correct? Or am I wrong with that assumption?

I have hiked the Catskills a lot and you have to get over 3K feet to be safe from total snow cover decimation. Over 3K feet there is usually enough to withstand even the worst thaws. Under 3K many a year you get a January thaw that wipes out a lot of snow - only to get it all back and build on it right through March into April.

In 1996 there was 5 feet of snow cover after the Blizzard and all but the summit areas were decimated two weeks later. The summit areas were down to a frozen foot or so after that.

January 2007 was horrific for snow cover, even in the mountains. Even the Green Mountains were snowless early that month. Just awful. It turned around in a hurry though later that month and beyond.

True. That was the extreme anomaly. There was no winter anywhere until around January 20th....

Yeah it turned first here with a good ice storm as I recall.

January 2007 was horrific for snow cover, even in the mountains. Even the Green Mountains were snowless early that month. Just awful. It turned around in a hurry though later that month and beyond.

I think my perception of July has not been of an above normal month -- mainly because I'm looking at it relative to the torrid wx south and west of us all Summer.

I was talking to a cousin in far southwest NY today and they said ... "it's been such a hot and dry summer". But here it's been very agreeable so far ...could turn on us in a week.

Ok--fair enough, thanks for the clarification. My point is still valid though that Pete is wrong about a cool and rainy summer. It may have been wet, but it hasn't been outrageously wet or dry, but it has been warm. It is pretty amazing how extreme 2009 and 2010 are....and there is a chance 2011 could follow with departures of +3 on average in SNE and more positive departures on the way. July is one of the hardest months to get huge positive departures though, correct? Or am I wrong with that assumption?

True. That was the extreme anomaly. There was no winter anywhere until around January 20th....

Yeah it turned first here with a good ice storm as I recall.

Jan 15, 2007. We had a good deal of ice in that. We got some minor snow events the next week, but the real snow didn't arrive until February. The best of it was up in VT though. We had a lot of sleet contamination in the Vday storm even though we got 7-8". That was a terrible winter though because December and the first half of January were a complete waste. The comeback in February and March was nice, but it doesn't (at least IMHO) come close to making up for that absolute pathetic showing the first 6-7 weeks.

As you know we did very well on V-day here, but I'm not crazy about any winter where you waste half of met. winter with brown ground and mild temps....

Jan 15, 2007. We had a good deal of ice in that. We got some minor snow events the next week, but the real snow didn't arrive until February. The best of it was up in VT though. We had a lot of sleet contamination in the Vday storm even though we got 7-8". That was a terrible winter though because December and the first half of January were a complete waste. The comeback in February and March was nice, but it doesn't (at least IMHO) come close to making up for that absolute pathetic showing the first 6-7 weeks.

Looks like we're all gonna die.

lol @ the 00z GFS putting the heat dome right over BWI next weekend. The MEX at days 6 and 7 are already hitting the MU90s which is scary that far out. At least the Euro op/ens keep the ridge centered back toward the midsection of the country which keeps us more in the upper lvl NW flow. If it is going to be searing at least give me a chance for a good MCS.

lol @ the 00z GFS putting the heat dome right over BWI next weekend. The MEX at days 6 and 7 are already hitting the MU90s which is scary that far out. At least the Euro op/ens keep the ridge centered back toward the midsection of the country which keeps us more in the upper lvl NW flow. If it is going to be searing at least give me a chance for a good MCS.

We were just talking about that, in house. Good grief...lol.

51/50, another wonderfully cool morning. I suppose somewhere it's nasty with overnight lows around 80 with high dp's. Not here though. Good dose of rain last night. Still no watering required for the garden.

Not a drop of rain here--I didn't even realize it was in the cards as I've been away a bit of late.

Evening from hell last night at the Buckland Rec Area. They were showing Astroboy at the pool so the kids could all float around and enjoy the movie. Chilly, ton of mosquitos, didn't start the moving until 8:40. Thank God my daughter has an early bed time and got sleepy. The things parents do.......

Meanwhile, my newly planted grass is exceeding my expectations. I'll need to keep it watered over the coming week I guess. Fortunately, it only gets sun between 8:00 and 1:00p.m., then fully shaded. Off to Westport, CT today.

61.6/57, off my low of 56.7.

Not a drop of rain here--I didn't even realize it was in the cards as I've been away a bit of late.

Evening from hell last night at the Buckland Rec Area. They were showing Astroboy at the pool so the kids could all float around and enjoy the movie. Chilly, ton of mosquitos, didn't start the moving until 8:40. Thank God my daughter has an early bed time and got sleepy. The things parents do.......

Meanwhile, my newly planted grass is exceeding my expectations. I'll need to keep it watered over the coming week I guess. Fortunately, it only gets sun between 8:00 and 1:00p.m., then fully shaded. Off to Westport, CT today.

61.6/57, off my low of 56.7.

After all the rain we've had the mosquitos and gnats have enjoyed a resurgence. Actually hoping for a dry stretch to knock them down a bit. Actually what I'm really hoping for is a killing frost, now only about 8 weeks away.

Archived