gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Mid July SNE Torch en route!

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we are starting to get closer, so maybe, just maybe it get one right.

KFIT at 88F

80F here, high of 81 so far. td of 50F is pretty sweet. Kids are loving it.

My son is at a camp this week and I have been trying to tell him how hot it could be.

Tip, I was reading what you wrote earlier today wrt the system in the Maritimes to our NE... could that actually bring the heat in our area instead of blocking it?

mmm not sure how, no. When folks speak of NW flow heat they are talking about ridge breaks. Basically, what happens is similar to the mid/high 90's day on May 28th, 2010. A ridge first amplified in the GLs and then lobbed over into NE as it was decaying - that action put the area in a deep layer NW flow from a source that contained oscene heat. I think "Hot Saturday" of August, 1975 was also a similar situation - that one was 105F at Providence RI (check that). But that all is different than a "blocking" sort of polar vortex. In this latter sense, the synoptic gradient is shearing the heat SE. There's really a kind of semi-permanent albeit difused warm boundary extending from western Ontario to NYC or thereabouts... I'm really on the fense with this because said Maritime trough is really anchored there by relatively higher heights NE in the far N atlantic Basin... Those are not even really blocking heights way up there -

It's complicated but... The PNA is very negative, some -2SD or more. Typically, the PNA is less correlation on the field in summer - that's a given. However, I am wondering if an excessively negative or positive value may begin to exert. It's suppositional, admittedly, but it makes intuitive sense to me. If the wave lengths overall are shortened seasonally, which they are, and maybe this huge ridge in the heartland causing immense gradient to NE of ME is an artifact of a teminating -2SD PNA during shortened wave-lenghts. In the middle of winter, without an assist from the NAO (which is currently neutral), a -2SD PNA would split N/A with troughing west and ridging east, period. I was noticing that the PNA is relaxing its negative romp as this heat dome repositions east, while the NAO remains static. Interesting...

Point being, in situ polar vortexes don't transport synoptic heat.

mmm not sure how, no. When folks speak of NW flow heat they are talking about ridge breaks. Basically, what happens is similar to the mid/high 90's day on May 28th, 2010. A ridge first amplified in the GLs and then lobbed over into NE as it was decaying - that action put the area in a deep layer NW flow from a source that contained oscene heat. I think "Hot Saturday" of August, 1975 was also a similar situation - that one was 105F at Providence RI (check that). But that all is different than a "blocking" sort of polar vortex. In this latter sense, the synoptic gradient is shearing the heat SE. There's really a kind of semi-permanent albeit difused warm boundary extending from western Ontario to NYC or thereabouts... I'm really on the fense with this because said Maritime trough is really anchored there by relatively higher heights NE in the far N atlantic Basin... Those are not even really blocking heights way up there -

It's complicated but... The PNA is very negative, some -2SD or more. Typically, the PNA is less correlation on the field in summer - that's a given. However, I am wondering if an excessively negative or positive value may begin to exert. It's suppositional, admittedly, but it makes intuitive sense to me. If the wave lengths overall are shortened seasonally, which they are, and maybe this huge ridge in the heartland causing immense gradient to NE of ME is an artifact of a teminating -2SD PNA during shortened wave-lenghts. In the middle of winter, without an assist from the NAO (which is currently neutral), a -2SD PNA would split N/A with troughing west and ridging east, period. I was noticing that the PNA is relaxing its negative romp as this heat dome repositions east, while the NAO remains static. Interesting...

Point being, in situ polar vortexes don't transport synoptic heat.

Thanks. Something to keep an eye on. I do remember Hot Saturday. My earliest wx memory

Had to fire up the sprinkler today for the first time. No rain in 8 days..and with a major death torch coming and me not being here to water later next..need to get the lawn some water.

Looks like maybe BDL escaped 90 today. Barely

High of 82.1F here. Low td for most of the day. Currently 55F Just about as perfect a July wx day as you could ask for here

80.4 here attm

How much is next weekend going to run you?

Had to fire up the sprinkler today for the first time. No rain in 8 days..and with a major death torch coming and me not being here to water later next..need to get the lawn some water.

Looks like maybe BDL escaped 90 today. Barely

Perhaps its time to teach momma some man skills like turning on a sprinkler?

I won them from my last company in some sales contest and have had them for like 3 yrs. I called to check the balance on them the other day. Been waiting to stay in a Marriot where I could use them.

And they can be used with the conf rate? No restrictions? That's great.

How is the long term parking at BDL? I have never flown out of there before and we are going to park there Aug 1-10

And they can be used with the conf rate? No restrictions? That's great.

How is the long term parking at BDL? I have never flown out of there before and we are going to park there Aug 1-10

I haven't flown in a couple yrs. but it used to be fine. Big lot,plenty of room, safe area...Plus it's a torch.area.how can you go wrong

12z Euro has mid 90s minimum on Thursday... Dry, deep layer west flow out of the thermal ridge; small pocket of 20C H850 air passing through at 12z likely signals a blazing afternoon. and it also shows a huge plume of erstwhile conintental heat getting ready to move into the NE states - stay tuned.

12z Euro has 2m temps in the 100s 18z Friday in the ASH-BED-TAN corridor. 850s still near +24C near the S Coast and +20C in N VT/NH. Hot stuff.

Thu 18z has 2m temps of 95+ in the same areas.

12z Euro has 2m temps in the 100s 18z Friday in the ASH-BED-TAN corridor. 850s still near +24C near the S Coast and +20C in N VT/NH. Hot stuff.

What usually happens with temperatures and models as the time gets closer? Does the temp usually tend to go up a little bit or down a little. Or a better way of putting it is are temps more largely exaggerated further out from a certain time frame?

You are the bearer of fantastic and wonderful news!:sun:

What usually happens with temperatures and models as the time gets closer? Does the temp usually tend to go up a little bit or down a little. Or a better way of putting it is are temps more largely exaggerated further out from a certain time frame?

I think the Euro has a history of sometimes being too warm with the mid-level temps in the extended. Other times it has tried to advect the 22-24C stuff up our way and it ends up more like 20C. It's still kinda crazy to see a 100+ contour on the 2m temps though.

I think the Euro has a history of sometimes being too warm with the mid-level temps in the extended. Other times it has tried to advect the 22-24C stuff up our way and it ends up more like 20C. It's still kinda crazy to see a 100+ contour on the 2m temps though.

I believe I've heard of this too - thing is, NCEP themselves were discussing the ECM's trough bias and lag correlation showing it to be to robust with it. I wonder how to reconcile those seemingly paradox statements.

Its had a warm bias in the medium range at 850mb, but its not horrible. I'm not sure what the stats are recently but I haven't heard about it going away. Anecdotally it seems to still have issues with bringing in those obscene 24C 850 temps from time to time and they never verify.

89.4 imby and 88 at CEF. Lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer..........

68/58, I went down to the valley (Rt9 Hadley) the thermo in the car was reading 92 from Noho to Hadley. It was hot but the humidity didn't seem out of hand. Now that we've passed the halfway point of July I know even if a "death heat ridge" Set up over us it could only last so long. Working everyday in the sun has me acclimated to the summer conditions. The direct sun has already lost some of it's bite from the days around the solstice. Lots o' water, drink lot's o'water. Summer nights like this are pleasant enough. Nice 60's.

Archived