• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Mid July SNE Torch en route!

HoarfrostHubb

Agreed. It hasn't been a "cool, wet, summer" as Pete claims though. With temps for the summer (considering June and July so far) around +1 to +1.5 and precip slightly below normal I don't know how you can spin that to be "cool and wet."

Maybe not where you are but here it has been. Some crops were harmed in June by the persistent rain. I think Greenfield Chris made a few posts about how the rain was effecting the farms down in the CT.valley. June was both cooler than normal and wetter than normal. July is not yet over so you can't say what that will be with any certainty. Also, don't you have a girl you should be chasing? It's Friday night, you're young, get off the computer and go do something. Geez... Kids today.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL reality is a b**ch, and while some are still comparing this summer to last, the intelligent understand thats moronic. Just as the MA found out this winter after being dumped on before, and like the south coast will find out this upcoming winter, extremes are fun but closer to average is the norm.

It warm. Its going to get a lot warmer, and this July may rival last July in terms of positive departures at some sites, thats impressive.

Cummington Hill is 5 minutes from here.

Yeah I just picked stations within 40 miles from you arbitrarily that had a higher elevation than your 1400 feet so we could look at at least a couple of nearby stations. The Cummington Hill co-op site is a couple hundred feet higher up, so it's not that crazy that your normal high for today is probably 0.8-1F warmer than theirs.

Maybe not where you are but here it has been. Some crops were harmed in June by the persistent rain. I think Greenfield Chris made a few posts about how the rain was effecting the farms down in the CT.valley. June was both cooler than normal and wetter than normal. July is not yet over so you can't say what that will be with any certainty. Also, don't you have a girl you should be chasing? It's Friday night, you're young, get off the computer and go do something. Geez... Kids today.

Speaking of kids, when is the lil snowboarder due? When she is old enough to tackle a Mountain instead of Glen, I can show her Wachusett's new hs quad chair they will be installing the fall.

I think July will finish a few degrees above normal, but who knows

LOL reality is a b**ch, and while some are still comparing this summer to last, the intelligent understand thats moronic. Just as the MA found out this winter after being dumped on before, and like the south coast will find out this upcoming winter, extremes are fun but closer to average is the norm.

It warm. Its going to get a lot warmer, and this July may rival last July in terms of positive departures at some sites, thats impressive.

Just wait. If we have a torch January with +4 to +5, Pete will claim that his glen has see "no such thing." Just normal snowy conditions with the occasional day of melting. He'll end his post with the ever convincing, "Skiing is great, get out and enjoy it!" But in reality it will be 45F and sunny with bare ground.

What is wrong with saying this summer is not as warm as last summer's record breaker? I agree with you that it has been warmer than average, I'm just saying it has not been really brutal.

July 2011 in ORH finished +3.9 fwiw

Just wait. If we have a torch January with +4 to +5, Pete will claim that his glen has see "no such thing." Just normal snowy conditions with the occasional day of melting. He'll end his post with the ever convincing, "Skiing is great, get out and enjoy it!" But in reality it will be 45F and sunny with bare ground.

That rarely happens here in January. BTW, it's in the 60's and raining here presently. Cool and rainy summer. Actually it's pouring, again.

What is wrong with saying this summer is not as warm as last summer's record breaker? I agree with you that it has been warmer than average, I'm just saying it has not been really brutal.

July 2011 in ORH finished +3.9 fwiw

I never said it was brutal either, but its warmer than average, and about to get a lot hotter, embrace it! I am out in it everyday, either for work or choice.

Viva la Summer

Viva la Sizzle

I never said it was brutal either, but its warmer than average, and about to get a lot hotter, embrace it! I am out in it everyday, either for work or choice.

Viva la Summer

Viva la Sizzle

Agreed

I really need it to get hot to get myself aclimated for Orlando in 2 weeks... sort of...

Hostas blooming like crazy here. Their purples taking over from the tiger lillies orange

That rarely happens here in January. BTW, it's in the 60's and raining here presently. Cool and rainy summer. Actually it's pouring, again.

Bare ground is not as rare as you think in your area. For example, in January, the normal number of days with less than 1 inch of snow (a.k.a. bare ground) on the ground is 3.4 days at Slide Mtn NY which is at 2650 feet and near Lake Placid, 18.2 days at Windham NY at 1680 feet, and 6.2 days at Grafton NY at 1650 feet.

Bare ground is not as rare as you think in your area. For example, in January, the normal number of days with less than 1 inch of snow (a.k.a. bare ground) on the ground is 3.4 days at Slide Mtn NY which is at 2650 feet and near Lake Placid, 18.2 days at Windham NY at 1680 feet, and 6.2 days at Grafton NY at 1650 feet.

I have lived here all my life. I know of what I speak. It is an unusual occurence to have bare ground here in January. Does it happen? Occasionally, but not very often.

BTW...that 2650 at "Slide Mountain" is not the summit. The summit is 4200' I believe. I have been up it at least three times. I guess the wx station is lower.

It's just going to put more bodies on the already congested 'slopes'. Single chair would have been better.

Nah... beginner terrain... wide open slopes... Will just make the line shorter and get you up a bit faster. I've complained about it openly to the staff there... they just look at me funny.

At least the season pass did not go up this year. $239.00 for 7 nights, 5 days. Not sure I can go more than 42 times this year

Not sure how you can manage the single. Leve it there but add a HS Quad next to it. The old foggies can ride the single.

BTW...that 2650 at "Slide Mountain" is not the summit. The summit is 4200' I believe. I have been up it at least three times. I guess the wx station is lower.

Yep, but the co-op station is still at least 1,000 feet higher than where Ski MRG lives and A LOT further north. If even they average 3-4 days per January of bare ground, well, you can imagine that bare ground any place in Mass. is not something you could call rare since the *average* number of days of bare ground each year would be nearly a quarter of the month.

Yep, but the co-op station is still at least 1,000 feet higher than where Ski MRG lives and A LOT further north. If even they average 3-4 days per January of bare ground, well, you can imagine that bare ground any place in Mass. is not something you could call rare since the *average* number of days of bare ground each year would be nearly a quarter of the month.

No it's not. Slide mountain is in the Catskills and south of mrgs latitude.

No it's not. Slide mountain is in the Catskills and south of mrgs latitude.

You're right, it is south of him at 42.02N latitude. I wasn't sure where it was since I've never heard of it so I checked google maps which put it at near Lake Placid. Last time I trust those guys from Mountain View CA!!

Well as we know.... The truth in our region is that we get the occasional rainy thaw in most winters and see our snow cover decimated. I can only recall a few winters where we escaped that kind of thaw. Places like the Berks and Cats tend to get it back pretty fast though.

I think you mean Slide Mountain is south of Pete. It is at about 42N ...or at the same latitude as the northern border of CT above BDL.. I guess maybe 25-30 miles south of Pete's latitude.

Archived