• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
July 15-20 Severe Weather

Not a shock that these storms are exploding up there in WI, huge parameters including Supercell Composite >50, Sig Tor (effective layer) >12, >6,500 SBCAPE, 0-1km shear >35kts, etc...

Wow. Potentially strong tornadoes now. Didn't realize the parameters were so high (other than instability of course).

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tornadic supercells are on the se leading edge of insane helicity that extends off to the nw. 0-1km up to 650...0-3km up to 1100.. I usually think of tornadoes on the sw edge of the strongest helicity. My question is if the extreme helicity will also migrate e/se with the cells continuing to be on the leading edge as they move farther into central and southern WI. If this occurs tornadic potential should remain high rather than straight line wind potential.

The complex of storms in WI continues to strengthen as it pushes southeast. I'm trying hard to not get my hopes up but if it looks good in a few hours it will be hard not to get excited.

If it congeals into a line and develops a cold pool then excitement factor goes up :)

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN

749 PM CDT TUE JUL 19 2011

WIC005-200130-

/O.CON.KMPX.TO.W.0040.000000T0000Z-110720T0130Z/

BARRON WI-

749 PM CDT TUE JUL 19 2011

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR WESTERN BARRON COUNTY

UNTIL 830 PM CDT...

AT 747 PM CDT...LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A FUNNEL. THIS

FUNNEL WAS LOCATED NEAR TURTLE LAKE...OR 12 MILES NORTHEAST OF

AMERY...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...

PRAIRIE FARM AND ALMENA.

The tornadic supercells are on the se leading edge of insane helicity that extends off to the nw. 0-1km up to 650...0-3km up to 1100.. I usually think of tornadoes on the sw edge of the strongest helicity. My question is if the extreme helicity will also migrate e/se with the cells continuing to be on the leading edge as they move farther into central and southern WI. If this occurs tornadic potential should remain high rather than straight line wind potential.

Man, those EHI values must be off the charts :twister:

6000+ CAPE. Usually that means if the cap breaks it goes linear, otherwise nothing.

Not exactly. 6000+ CAPE and modest deep layer sheer usually = outflow dominance. If we had stronger deep layer sheer, there would be much better chances for sustained supercells. All the tornado/supercell parameters are being essentially saturated by the extreme instability and decent low level helicity, which isn't everything when it comes to supercells/tornadoes.

They will follow the instability gradient/convergence boundary. I don't see a left turn coming.

Storm motions and overall flow orientation (which become increasingly southerly as this thing moves east) support southerly jog to motion as well.

Alberta!

TORNADO WARNING

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 6:54 PM MDT TUESDAY 19 JULY 2011.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

TORNADO WARNING FOR:

=NEW= STARLAND COUNTY NEAR MICHICHI AND DELIA

=NEW= SPECIAL AREA 2 NEAR FINNEGAN AND LITTLE FISH LAKE PROV. PARK

=NEW= SPECIAL AREA 2 NEAR HANNA AND RICHDALE

=NEW= SPECIAL AREA 2 NEAR SUNNYNOOK

=NEW= SPECIAL AREA 3 NEAR YOUNGSTOWN.

------------------------------ ---------------------------------------

==DISCUSSION==

AT 6:50 PM DOPPLER RADAR SHOWS A ROTATING THUNDERSTORM 20 KM EAST

NORTHEAST OF DRUMHELLER. THIS THUNDERSTORM MAY PRODUCE A TORNADO AND

IS MOVING EASTWARD AT 60 KM/H.

Alberta tornado warnings continued. Pretty decent looking supercell on Calgary radar

TORNADO WARNING

UPDATED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 7:49 PM MDT TUESDAY 19 JULY 2011.

TORNADO WARNING FOR:

=NEW= SPECIAL AREA 2 NEAR SPONDIN AND SCAPA

=NEW= SPECIAL AREA 4 NEAR HEMARUKA WISTE AND MONITOR CREEK

SPECIAL AREA 2 NEAR HANNA AND RICHDALE

SPECIAL AREA 3 NEAR YOUNGSTOWN.

==DISCUSSION==

AT 7:40 PM DOPPLER RADAR SHOWS A ROTATING THUNDERSTORM 20 KM EAST

NORTHEAST OF HANNA. THIS THUNDERSTORM MAY PRODUCE A TORNADO AND

IS MOVING EAST NORTHEASTWARD AT 50 KM/H.

Well the whole complex is moving SE, but the movement is so slow I'm not sure if it will ever get here. It's weird with the storms being aligned parallel to the movement.

Looks like the are initiating along that instability gradient, which is oriented parallel to their motion.

Starting to see the outflow out ahead of the reflectivity gradient, which is obviously less than ideal for super strong winds. But it does look as if the outflow aligns with the leading edge in Wood County, Wisconsin, so I would expect the strongest winds there right now. Still some good wind signatures aloft with the western portion of the line (60 kt at 6kft).

Great environment ahead of it if things can reorganize though. MUCAPE sitting at 8000 J/kg, with sufficient low level shear and storm relative winds to balance that outflow.

I have a friend reporting a tornado (probably a funnel cloud) in East Peoria, IL or very close to there. I'm unsure if it touched down or not. Conveniently enough KILX's radar is down...

Peoria Journal-Star story on this evening's funnel clouds near Washington, IL and East Peoria--which prompted the sirens to go off in both cities:

http://www.pjstar.com/free/x1009561571/Funnel-cloud-spotted-near-Washington

Peoria Journal-Star story on this evening's funnel clouds near Washington, IL and East Peoria--which prompted the sirens to go off in both cities:

http://www.pjstar.co...near-Washington

The latest ILX storm report also lists that funnel clouds were also spotted in McLean County (near the towns of Downs and Cooksville, E of Bloomington/Normal) and Vermilion County (near Oakwood and Catlin, or west of Danville). Plus heavy rain in Paris, IL (Edgar County)--the ILX storm total radar showing a speck of 5 inches near Paris.

http://www.crh.noaa....on=1&glossary=0

The latest ILX storm report also lists that funnel clouds were also spotted in McLean County (near the towns of Downs and Cooksville, E of Bloomington/Normal) and Vermilion County (near Oakwood and Catlin, or west of Danville). Plus heavy rain in Paris, IL (Edgar County)--the ILX storm total radar showing a speck of 5 inches near Paris.

http://www.crh.noaa....on=1&glossary=0

That one in the article sure looked like a big funnel cloud (halfway down rule? ;))

Also a great time to point out that's why it is silly to call these "cold air funnels." As it clearly had nothing to do with cold air today. High instability coupled with a boundary is enough to stretch that horizontal vorticity into a funnel, but the lack of shear throughout the column leads to a small chance of touchdown and a weak one at that.

The complex of storms in WI continues to strengthen as it pushes southeast. I'm trying hard to not get my hopes up but if it looks good in a few hours it will be hard not to get excited.

Big difference from last night is that we have a good cold pool on tonight's complex.

Archived