Most Online
    mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
July 15-20 Severe Weather

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My hunch/2cents, is if it holds together, it will bow out. Chicago area might have another derecho on its way.

Judging by radar, and as tony mentioned about seeing some rapid acceleration ahead.

I could be very wrong, thought I add my 2 cents.

Definitely starting to "surge/bow" in two segments - one that just moved through Stevens Point, and one near Wisconsin Rapids.

If this is another Chicago-Milwaukee special, that will be our third or fourth one this year. Pretty rare to have 3 high wind thunderstorm events that pretty much traverse the same territory. Shouldn't forget about Madison and Rockford, as they would likely get hit as well if this thing maintains.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

There might be a rear-inflow notch forming this thing in Wood County. Too early to tell for sure yet but something to watch.

Just noticed that.

As mentioned before, there looks to possibly be a broad developing MCV moving through Portage Co.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

There might be a rear-inflow notch forming this thing in Wood County. Too early to tell for sure yet but something to watch.

Certainly has that look to it. It's also a pain that the MCS is now paralleling the radials from ARX, makes the base velocity interrogation difficult.

Irony much? When did you leave? Right before this?

We left there at 5. I think half the MW is in the dells trying to stay cool.. no fun waiting in line for a hr so spent the day in the lazy rivers and wave pools just people watching and chillin...all walks of life I tell ya.

I haven't been on following the thread but radar looks better than last nights at least.. Hows this line gonna move do you think? continue se or will it split and miss us lol.

Yeah the WAA wing is very subtle, but there. Just west of there west of Wautoma there appears to be an area of enhanced winds. The MKE radar is showing 75kts+ at 9000'.

EDIT: typing too fast FTL

That's a nice RIJ aloft, and the potential boundary interaction with the remnant lake breeze is intriguing.

We left there at 5. I think half the MW is in the dells trying to stay cool.. no fun waiting in line for a hr so spent the day in the lazy rivers and wave pools just people watching and chillin...all walks of life I tell ya.

I haven't been on following the thread but radar looks better than last nights at least.. Hows this line gonna move do you think? continue se or will it split and miss us lol.

I don't see it splitting. The most likely way it would miss is if the back end swings around so it is aligned n-s, and then swing e and miss us just to the north (or it could fall apart totally, but that's not likely). I think we have a 50% chance or so of seeing the thunderstorms along the leading edge. It's still moving relatively slow so it probably won't arrive until 2 if it does. Unfortunately, I will have to miss it b/c I'm planning on golfing in the 90+ heat tomorrow.:arrowhead:

I don't see it splitting. The most likely way it would miss is if the back end swings around so it is aligned n-s, and then swing e and miss us just to the north (or it could fall apart totally, but that's not likely). I think we have a 50% chance or so of seeing the thunderstorms along the leading edge. It's still moving relatively slow so it probably won't arrive until 2 if it does. Unfortunately, I will have to miss it b/c I'm planning on golfing in the 90+ heat tomorrow.:arrowhead:

Thanks for that post.. Man I hope you're golfing early! (Sounds like it) Freeze some water bottles up to take with ya. Carting it or walking? couldn't get me to walk it unless we were golfing with the birds chirping 1st thing in the AM.

Sun kicked my tail.. dunno if I can make it awake to see what happens either.. I'm sure if i lay down my euro alarm clock will wake me up tho.

I came up with a little pathcast for the MCS overnight. It hinges on three ideas. A) The MCS holds together. B) The MCS follows the theta-e gradient. C) The MCS moves about 40kt. That last one may be a bit bullish right now, but may end up being too conservative if this thing really takes off.

post-97-0-65881000-1311135427.png

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 665

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1125 PM CDT TUE JUL 19 2011

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

NORTHWEST ILLINOIS

SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN

LAKE MICHIGAN

EFFECTIVE THIS TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING FROM 1125 PM

UNTIL 300 AM CDT.

HAIL TO 2 INCHES IN DIAMETER...THUNDERSTORM WIND GUSTS TO 70

MPH...AND DANGEROUS LIGHTNING ARE POSSIBLE IN THESE AREAS.

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 55

STATUTE MILES EAST AND WEST OF A LINE FROM 60 MILES NORTH

NORTHEAST OF MADISON WISCONSIN TO 15 MILES SOUTH SOUTHWEST OF

MEIGS FIELD ILLINOIS. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE

THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU5).

REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE

FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH

AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR

THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS

AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY

DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.

OTHER WATCH INFORMATION...CONTINUE...WW 664...

DISCUSSION...A MATURE BOW ECHO OVER CENTRAL WI WILL TRACK RAPIDLY

SOUTHEASTWARD ACROSS THE WATCH AREA THROUGH THE EARLY MORNING HOURS.

A VERY UNSTABLE AIR MASS AND SUFFICIENT FLOW ALOFT WILL MAINTAIN

THE RISK OF DAMAGING WINDS ALONG THE LEADING EDGE OF THE LINE OF

STORMS.

AVIATION...A FEW SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT

TO 2 INCHES. EXTREME TURBULENCE AND SURFACE WIND GUSTS TO 60

KNOTS. A FEW CUMULONIMBI WITH MAXIMUM TOPS TO 500. MEAN STORM

MOTION VECTOR 32040.

...HART

I came up with a little pathcast for the MCS overnight. It hinges on three ideas. A) The MCS holds together. B) The MCS follows the theta-e gradient. C) The MCS moves about 40kt. That last one may be a bit bullish right now, but may end up being too conservative if this thing really takes off.

post-97-0-65881000-1311135427.png

Goes along nicely with the new watch boxthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/watch/ww0665.html

ww0665_radar_init_resize.gif

Nice RIJ pushing through Waushara and Marquette Counties...and soon Green Lake, Winnebago, and Fond Du Lac Counties.

Also, it's pretty clear there is an MCV now.

Looks like the bow is surging towards Oshkosh and Fond Du Lac...

If that holds it's quite possible most of the action is from MKE on north.

O man that's a big weenie pointed at me. I'm scared. hopefully it gets grated apart like last night lol but I have a feeling that's not going to be the case. Thanks sooo much, Tony for your thoughts and cone.

I think it's path will actually be slightly to the left of the cone from the storm's point of view; in other words, slightly further north and east. Ozaukee County will probably take close to a direct hit from the bow. Then again, all of these are only guesses. I could see it shifting direction a couple more times.

Archived