Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
July 15-20 Severe Weather

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like SPC is thinking the cap might win again for the Upper MS Valley region. Would love to be proven wrong.

...20Z UPDATE...

FOR THE UPPER MS VALLEY VICINITY...THE MIDDAY DEMISE OF A LEAD

SUPERCELL/SMALL LINEAR CLUSTER NEAR/SOUTHEAST OF THE MINNEAPOLIS-ST

PAUL AREA HAS REDUCED CONFIDENCE IN AN APPRECIABLE/FOCUSED SEVERE

POTENTIAL ALONG A WEAK SURFACE FRONT/CORRIDOR OF ROBUST INSTABILITY

FROM SOUTHEAST MN/SOUTHERN WI INTO IL. HAVE THUS REMOVED 30 PERCENT

WIND PROBABILITIES...

Looks like SPC is thinking the cap might win again for the Upper MS Valley region. Would love to be proven wrong.

...20Z UPDATE...

FOR THE UPPER MS VALLEY VICINITY...THE MIDDAY DEMISE OF A LEAD

SUPERCELL/SMALL LINEAR CLUSTER NEAR/SOUTHEAST OF THE MINNEAPOLIS-ST

PAUL AREA HAS REDUCED CONFIDENCE IN AN APPRECIABLE/FOCUSED SEVERE

POTENTIAL ALONG A WEAK SURFACE FRONT/CORRIDOR OF ROBUST INSTABILITY

FROM SOUTHEAST MN/SOUTHERN WI INTO IL. HAVE THUS REMOVED 30 PERCENT

WIND PROBABILITIES...

Well, the cap has almost always won this summer, so my thoughts are that potential isn't very good at all.

Initiation occuring from around De Witt, IA down into C. Illinois.

Nice tower to the northwest out the window here. I just drove through a light shower with very large rain drops near Hillsdale a bit ago. There's a line of towering cumulus extending southeast/northwest back towards the cell west of Clinton.

My buddy from Galva Illinois just said they're having pea to marble sized hail with that storm northeast of Galesburg. I could hear the rain/hail pouring in the background. Ahhhh I'm jealous as hell right now lol.

Looks like a potential flash flood event all along this developing line from far eastern Iowa to southeast of the QC.

While not rated as high and not as damaging (or killer), this may be one of the stronger tornadoes since Northwood, 2007 for North Dakota.

I am thinking it could get upgraded to low-end EF4. Why? Because remember the Pocahontas, Iowa tornado being rated high-end EF3 then upgraded to low-end EF4 a few weeks later. The damage reminds me of that same tornado that happened on either April 9th of 10th of this year.

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1664

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0528 PM CDT TUE JUL 19 2011

AREAS AFFECTED...NRN/CNTRL WI

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY

VALID 192228Z - 192330Z

COMPLEX OF TSTMS HAS GRADUALLY INCREASED IN INTENSITY AS IT CROSSED

FROM NERN MN INTO NWRN WI. THIS ACTIVITY IS TRACKING SEWD AT

ROUGHLY 35KT ALONG TIGHT INSTABILITY GRADIENT AND SHOULD PROPAGATE

TOWARD GREEN BAY LATER THIS EVENING...BETWEEN 04-05Z. IT APPEARS

VERY LARGE HAIL MAY ACCOMPANY THE STRONGEST UPDRAFTS AND DAMAGING

WINDS MAY ALSO DEVELOP IF N-S LINE SEGMENT BEGINS TO BOW AND SURGE

SEWD. GIVEN THE AIR MASS IN PLACE A WW WILL LIKELY BE WARRANTED

DOWNSTREAM TO NEAR LAKE MI.

New storm watch just north/northwest of you. Could get interesting late evening.

Interesting perhaps. I'm glad I have low expectations (and previously had no expectations). This is the 4th watch that portions of my CWA has had in the last 2 days (all ST watches). Shows how liberally they issue watches these days. I don't know if they used to be so liberal with those, or if it is a recent occurrence.

Saturday's threat is looking not very good anymore. The trough isn't nearly as strong as originally forecast.

Was just discussing this with a friend. Never count anything out with that amount of instability. This past week has thrown out all my pre-conceived notions of "unbreakable" mid level capping as well as what storms can do given the insane amount of instability we've had. I'm sure at least North Dakota and northern MN are going to have some more tornadic "fun" this weekend.

I'd be happy if the chicagoland area gets ANY rain at this point. I was really hyped/monitoring conditions ALL day yesterday. Counting down the hours etc.

Late evening was a tease. Especially with that cell southeast of Madison, Wisconsin that looked great. Once it came closer to the border. Gone.

Not even a drizzle : \

I'd be happy if the chicagoland area gets ANY rain at this point. I was really hyped/monitoring conditions ALL day yesterday. Counting down the hours etc.

Late evening was a tease. Especially with that cell southeast of Madison, Wisconsin that looked great. Once it came closer to the border. Gone.

Not even a drizzle : \

Same here. If we just get some of the eastern edge of the small rain shield associated with the storms in Northern Wisconsin, it will be satisfying enough. I think SW and SC Wisconsin may have some problems on their hands.

Archived