EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Its cold enough when do we snow?

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

which is substantially east of the 00z guidance I believe ...

I tell you what, Will - some factorizaiton in this will come from the ambient heights over the deep SE; I have heavily discussed this in the past, and it has to do with flow compressibility in that region.

For the general reader: when the balanced flow is too strong in that region than S/W amplitude gets muted because the S/W wind max is not sufficiently stronger than the surrounding medium as it passes through enough to excite restoring vectors (WAA/CAA ...etc).

That negatively feeds back on a system's ability to dig because there is less thermodynamic downward processing of the heights in the trough axis. It's complicated - that's the simplest way I can put it.

I have identified in the past that the near critical threshold is ~582dm over MIA and/or wind velocities exceeding ~40kts at the 500mb as a general rule of thumb. Height higher than that and/or velocities over 50 kts as a S/W is approaching the MV will mute said S/W to some degree depending on how compressed the flow is. Less heights and lower velocities means less compression, more means more compression.

Did you mean "less heights and lower velocities mean MORE compression ... etc" ?

Good post

which is substantially east of the 00z guidance I believe ...

I tell you what, Will - some factorizaiton in this will come from the ambient heights over the deep SE; I have heavily discussed this in the past, and it has to do with flow compressibility in that region.

For the general reader: when the balanced flow is too strong in that region than S/W amplitude gets muted because the S/W wind max is not sufficiently stronger than the surrounding medium as it passes through enough to excite restoring vectors (WAA/CAA ...etc).

That negatively feeds back on a system's ability to dig because there is less thermodynamic downward processing of the heights in the trough axis. It's complicated - that's the simplest way I can put it.

I have identified in the past that the near critical threshold is ~582dm over MIA and/or wind velocities exceeding ~40kts at the 500mb as a general rule of thumb. Height higher than that and/or velocities over 50 kts as a S/W is approaching the MV will mute said S/W to some degree depending on how compressed the flow is. Less heights and lower velocities means less compression, more means more compression.

Having said that, here we have balanced flow at 96 hours from 12z this morning on the order of 30 to 35kts, and heights lower than 582dm. This is a positive feedback on a system's ability to dig if you've followed this brief outline, as it comes east of the Mississippi Valley.

I am also a bit concerned about the fact that CPC persists with -PNA, while the CDC has an interesting positive spike that suddenly crashes negative as D7 arrives. I mentioned this yesterday and it has to do with the W-E corrdinate needing to be concerved during an overall -PNA. In other words, be weary of meridional solutions during a time when the -PNA will assert a progressive characteristic in there one way or the other!

Does that "mean" a more east solution - probably to some degree. How much?

I think the primary going up into the GL does not necessarily violate these principles, because we see it weaken smartly once there. Take your pick, but either solution shows less support for a low being there, wether one arrives and decays, or doesn't get there at all. I also caution that discussion regarding the orientation of the NAO becuase again...the PNA plays a role here folks in the form of conserve progressivity outside the effective area of the NAO domain. Once it gets here, a cut-off low is acceptible.

Another synoptic clue is that when this trough max amplifies the ridge axis in the west in over the ND/SD - typical wave spacing does not usually take a mlv vortex W of ALB when that is situated.

Wow, I'm clearly out of my league here. Now I know how Sanchez and the Jets felt last night. :D

Informative and I'm sure the answer is in there once i read and re-read it a few times. Thanks ;)

At least upstate NY gets screwed too..Don't need snow in Syracuse and rain here.. What an awful turn of events. I feel like smashing something

Burly men with their windows rolled down and arm sticking out in the warm sector of the Monday storm.

Archived