mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
July Obs.

dsaur

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear that, I haven't had that complaint before. The NEXRAD status page has two Javascripts that run, one for the banner and one for the menu float. The banner script is the most CPU intensive of the two. I'm considering changing my banner approach to get rid of the script which would speed things up.

I currently have four of my pages open right now, along with 6 other tabs in Chrome, I have Adobe Fireworks and Dreamweaver loaded, I have a GRLevelX instance running, as well as WxMesg Map. Windows XP, 3GB memory, Toshiba Laptop 5 years old.

You running Win7? What browser?

Yes, I have win 7 with a 2.3GH processor and a couple of gb of ram. I use the latest version of firefox. I can have no problems at all running multiple programs and tabs at once...until I run across a site with java script and flash.And if I use my older computer, forget about it. It takes forever and then it won't play smoothly or freeze altogether. If you can get rid of that banner, by all means do so lol ;)

There is no Java script on my site. All the loops are FLASH. I don't like java loops either.

The problem is flash is one of the top things that causes browsers to crash or hang up. Especially so the more sites you visit with flash while in the same session. Often times I will have to use task manager to end firefox. I have also had this problem with flash in IE. I have tried everything I know to do to improve it but to no avail.

As for java/javascript, I will only turn on java/javascript if I absolutely have to. Otherwise I browse the net with it off most of the time.

This isn't a knock on your guys sites and i know you put a lot of work into them, it's just I have come to hate dealing with these, especially when I site switches to it wen it really wasn't necessary. An animated GIF is by far better for folks like me who have no use for the stuff. Alas, everywhere you turn though you see it more and more.

65 with east winds 15 mph or so. looks like we are down to light drizzle now, but ended up with .42". the most single event in weeks. i put out a couple of plants last evening, and was surprised to see how dry it was. mby has had 1.5" rain the last week or so, but in .25 or less increments. just under the surface the soil is dry, dry, dry :( we need a nice, long event soaking rain.

There is no Java script on my site. All the loops are FLASH. I don't like java loops either.

I have both although I don't like javascript loops either. The only reason I have any javascript loops at all were so that I could duplicate the NWS radar images... the same ones you'll find on their site, including the topo's. But all the other 34 different loops (all of the GRLevel3 and Google radars) I have use either Flash or FlAniS.

All of the model loops I have use FlAniS and all of the satellite loops as well.

Generally at the most, there are two javascripts that run on my site, the banner and menu, and that's quite a bit less than the majority of any major website you might go to. My opening page has two instances of the banner script because one loops the 320x240 images next to the current conditions, but that page has seven scripts.

But unless you go to a static website (or one that only uses Flash), almost all of them load javascripts. And keep this in mind, iPads or iAnything won't run Flash (without jumping through hoops to do it).

Incredibly nice outside here - cloudy and cool-ish....but models consistent in showing big heat returning next week. This matches climo though for late July - always seems to be baking at that time.

No doubt. Heat in July and August should be no shocker. We had plenty of rain here last night which has been unusual for my county. Going to be a great day weather wise. I have to be in a parade w/ the family today so I'm thanful the pavement won't be as hot as yesterday.

Awesome day. Light sprinkles, and 68 degrees, dewpoint of 61. Northeast winds running from VA through the Carolinas and into GA. The mid 80's aren't happening anywhere around here today for sure, I think upper 60's to low 70's at best in CLT GSP region. I think Fox Charlotte had mid 80's last night for this area. No slam intended but sometimes I still wonder why some forecasters go so incredibly high in a known CAD setup. The high pressure is 1021 in western VA and 1022 in Eastern Canada and the GFS clearly had northeast winds in the damming region under solid cloud bank. The amount of precip has and always was a big question though. Even without the precip, its pretty cool in the dammed areas today.

post-38-0-13857100-1310745825.jpg

My high was 72.5 F at 9:14 am this morning. You can see what I'm sitting at now. Cloudy, lots of drizzle, dark... awesome day for the middle of July!

I love the gradient that sets up right over the metro. Airport is at 78, PDK is at 73, you're at 70. No complaints here either.

The problem is flash is one of the top things that causes browsers to crash or hang up. Especially so the more sites you visit with flash while in the same session. Often times I will have to use task manager to end firefox. I have also had this problem with flash in IE. I have tried everything I know to do to improve it but to no avail.

As for java/javascript, I will only turn on java/javascript if I absolutely have to. Otherwise I browse the net with it off most of the time.

This isn't a knock on your guys sites and i know you put a lot of work into them, it's just I have come to hate dealing with these, especially when I site switches to it wen it really wasn't necessary. An animated GIF is by far better for folks like me who have no use for the stuff. Alas, everywhere you turn though you see it more and more.

You may run out of luck looking for looping radars if you don't use FLASH or java. I know the white backgroup NWS radars use an animated gif but their "enhanced" radars with topo backgrounds use FLASH.

Sounds like your computer is new so it's odd that you have the trouble you describe. I'll have weatherlink running in the background uploading my weatherstation data and have StormLab radar software open with 7 sites open and uploading and at the same time have GRLevel3 open and multiple Firefox tabs viewing different weather stuff all without issue. Who knows??

65 with east winds 15 mph or so. looks like we are down to light drizzle now, but ended up with .42". the most single event in weeks. i put out a couple of plants last evening, and was surprised to see how dry it was. mby has had 1.5" rain the last week or so, but in .25 or less increments. just under the surface the soil is dry, dry, dry :( we need a nice, long event soaking rain.

I am so upset, with all the supposed chances of rain the past week, all I have gotten is a measly .13 last night- the NAM MOS POP from the 00Z run for today was 95% and it now looks like I will not see a drop, that is quite a bust. Only 1.02" for the month and it looks like more dry weather ahead. Time to go water the garden.....::gun_bandana:

EDIT-just saw the NWS forecast, 70% today with locally heavy rain??/ Ha, more FFC follies...

I have both although I don't like javascript loops either. The only reason I have any javascript loops at all were so that I could duplicate the NWS radar images... the same ones you'll find on their site, including the topo's. But all the other 34 different loops (all of the GRLevel3 and Google radars) I have use either Flash or FlAniS.

All of the model loops I have use FlAniS and all of the satellite loops as well.

Generally at the most, there are two javascripts that run on my site, the banner and menu, and that's quite a bit less than the majority of any major website you might go to. My opening page has two instances of the banner script because one loops the 320x240 images next to the current conditions, but that page has seven scripts.

But unless you go to a static website (or one that only uses Flash), almost all of them load javascripts. And keep this in mind, iPads or iAnything won't run Flash (without jumping through hoops to do it).

But my Droid will so my loops look great on my Droid2. LOL

Awesome day. Light sprinkles, and 68 degrees, dewpoint of 61. Northeast winds running from VA through the Carolinas and into GA. The mid 80's aren't happening anywhere around here today for sure, I think upper 60's to low 70's at best in CLT GSP region. I think Fox Charlotte had mid 80's last night for this area. No slam intended but sometimes I still wonder why some forecasters go so incredibly high in a known CAD setup. The high pressure is 1021 in western VA and 1022 in Eastern Canada and the GFS clearly had northeast winds in the damming region under solid cloud bank. The amount of precip has and always was a big question though. Even without the precip, its pretty cool in the dammed areas today.

Reminds me of a nice fall day. Cloudy with a nice east breeze and on and off drizzle. My temp is at 68 and has been slowly falling. Looks like I might end up with a midnight high of 77.5.

Reminds me of a nice fall day. Cloudy with a nice east breeze and on and off drizzle. My temp is at 68 and has been slowly falling. Looks like I might end up with a midnight high of 77.5.

Only thing that beats a wind off the ocean in winter, is a wind off the ocean in the dead of summer :) I'm loving this. Got a shower at 8pm, and thunderstorm at 11pm (that knocked out the power for an hour), on and off drizzle and showers the rest of the night, and all day so far. Only picked up .8, but I'm not complaining about the rain, though for all the sturm and drang it should have been much more, .... 70's in July is wonderful!! Now....for the rest of the summer to be like today...is that too much to ask? I'm thinking a series of hurricanes and T.S. episodes through the SE would do it.

Also, I heard maybe the longest continuous roll of thunder I've ever heard last night. T

The clouds are so low and dark it looks like its going to pour. I got the shaft last night. I ended up with a trace with all of that rain that was heading my way. I got 4.2" on the 4th and 5th. Other than that I've watched storms on all sides of me the last 10 days. My wife even commented that we have an Emerson rain shield. I can't complain too much though. The ground is so wet that tomatoes are splitting from rain 10 days ago.

I am so upset, with all the supposed chances of rain the past week, all I have gotten is a measly .13 last night- the NAM MOS POP from the 00Z run for today was 95% and it now looks like I will not see a drop, that is quite a bust. Only 1.02" for the month and it looks like more dry weather ahead. Time to go water the garden.....::gun_bandana:

EDIT-just saw the NWS forecast, 70% today with locally heavy rain??/ Ha, more FFC follies...

Aren't you getting the mist/drizzle today? It's been misting here all day, at times turning into sprinkles/light rain. Enough to keep the roads wet. Most efficient way to moisten up the soil, since it has time to soak in rather than running off.

Absolutely awesome to be at 71 as we approach the hottest part of the day. High looks to be 75 for KPDK barring any last minute warm up. Looking at the record low maxes, the record low for Hartsfield is 73 on this date. So that's not in any jeopardy with the airport already getting to the upper 70s.

post-38-0-13857100-1310745825.jpg

[/quote

Showers here since around 8 this morning.. .2 so far

Folks,

The 12z Euro, which was just released, has another heatwave starting around next weekend for the SE US. For example, it has 20+ C 850's from hour 132 through 240 at KATL and lows of upper 70's for days 8-10! it even has `+23 C 850's for day 10, which would be slightly warmer than this last heatwave's 850's! I'll take the details/intensity with a grain of salt for now, especially given the Euro has a moderate warm bias. However, signs are becoming clearer that another heatwave may be around the corner. Hopefully, it won't be nearly as bad as this week's heatwave.

Folks,

The 12z Euro, which was just released, has another heatwave starting around next weekend for the SE US. For example, it has 20+ C 850's from hour 132 through 240 at KATL and lows of upper 70's for days 8-10! it even has `+23 C 850's for day 10, which would be slightly warmer than this last heatwave's 850's! I'll take the details/intensity with a grain of salt for now, especially given the Euro has a moderate warm bias. However, signs are becoming clearer that another heatwave may be around the corner. Hopefully, it won't be nearly as bad as this week's heatwave.

I've been watching this. My daughters wedding is a week from Sunday and outside at 6:00pm. My family from up north will see first hand what the desert se has to offer....lol :sizzle:

Reception after is inside (I don't like sharing my food with the bugs :lol: )

EDIT:It looks like the streak has ended :thumbsup:

NWS FB POST:

Our string of 48 consectutive days of 90 degree max temps or above at CAE is in jeopardy of ending today. The all time record is 54 days set in 1986. Interesting enough, if we looked at max temps greater than or equal to 91 we are number one in the records with 47 consecutive days, with number two being 40 days in 1958.

But my Droid will so my loops look great on my Droid2. LOL

I agree, if you go to my site on a Droid phone you get a non-javascript radar loop that works great.

Weather is constantly changing, if you have a weather website, it has to change with the weather. A static website just can't do that. Not only do most if not all weather websites utilize not only javascript, but many other types of scripts. My site uses many PHP scripts to gather data and information on the fly that just wouldn't be possible otherwise. While the PHP processing is done on the server, it still takes time and can determine the load time of a page.

Here's a great link to check page load times: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/

I've been contemplating a change to my banner for some time now. I have to plan carefully because I have about 700-800 pages to update and I have to make the change as seamless as possible. Plus I still want to be able to easily change the image without updating all of those pages.

EDIT:It looks like the streak has ended :thumbsup:

NWS FB POST:

Our string of 48 consectutive days of 90 degree max temps or above at CAE is in jeopardy of ending today. The all time record is 54 days set in 1986. Interesting enough, if we looked at max temps greater than or equal to 91 we are number one in the records with 47 consecutive days, with number two being 40 days in 1958.

what was your high today. I see CAE is at 82 right now. I'm one of the cooler spots in NC (or southeast for that matter) Sitting at 63 here, Hickory and 59 in Boone. I wish I could bottle it up and share with everybody, plus its been raining lightly all day long since around 10 am.

The high temp here is going to be 75, which occurred at 12:01 AM, and has been going down slowly ever since. Charlotte was 78 at midnight, so thats their high.

Archived