EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
July Obs.

dsaur

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here. Theres a corn field I ride past every week on the way to my parents, and every year by mid to late June its withered and dead totally. This year its the tallest and best looking I've seen since I'd say 2005. I've always wanted to stop and ask the person who plants it why he bothers, atleast up until this year, b/c like clockwork, around mid June, it was always gone. A total waste of time and effort. For 5 years running.

Saw this in the Star nws mets warn of triple digits this week.

Saw this in the Star nws mets warn of triple digits this week.

yeah I saw that. I'm not so bullish on the 100 for this region. Temps on the last heat wave here got to about 96, with solid +24 at 850...so far I don't see us getting quite that hot here, and once again we have a pretty damp ground, and surface flow will be south or southwest, most of our 100 deg. temps occur with nw or west surface winds. I'm still going for mostly mid 90's locally....possibly as high as 98 one day , either Thursday or Friday. The trip digits probably more likely to our east.

Just arrived home from Panama City Beach. Sounds like I missed some cooler weather. Must have felt amazing! We did have quite a bit of rain down there in PCB, but I'm not totally sure how much. Just had a quick shower that dropped .11" in the bucket. My total since Thursday morning is .42". Glad to be back!

Welcome back brother! I just got in from the airport a couple hours ago. All my sunflowers are dead!!! What a shame. I MAY be able to save a couple of them but it's an ugly sight. I talked to someone who was here this week and he said the best we got was a sprinkle. After seeing the flowers I worked so hard to grow I can believe it. I hope you had fun on your trip! We had a nice MCS move through at 9AM this morning in Upstate NY. We had sustained winds of 35-45 for a good few minutes. Keep in mind it was coming right off the lake so there was nothing to slow down the wind at all. I had the gauntlet of weather up there. A low of near 50 the first two mornings then it slowly warmed up, by yesterday and today it got hot and muggy up there. It was sunny all week up until this morning when we got a nice line of storms. It caused some minor damage but no severe warning was issued on the line.

I think being lakefront helped the winds live up to their full potential. The lake measures 6 miles wide by 24 miles long. It's a very large lake (Oneida Lake) and the waves were kicking up around 3-4 feet while the line blew through. I was actually on the lake, way out there fishing right before it came through and we saw some lighting strikes hitting the lake in the distance. I must say that was a pretty cool sight although scary. We got the warning from all the buzz on the lake radio we use. Everyone started talking about how bad it was on the northwest end of the lake and then my family called us on the radio after watching the radar saying we had about 15 minutes to get in before it hit. so we hauled it in ASAP and made it in under the wire to watch the impressive storms blow through.Overall I had an amazing week I hope you did as well!!! I'm looking forward to contributing to this board again on local weather here in Georgia! Also looking for some rains!! BTW I caught some very large Walleye while I was up there, went fishing nearly every morning at 5AM.

Welcome back brother! I just got in from the airport a couple hours ago. All my sunflowers are dead!!! What a shame. I MAY be able to save a couple of them but it's an ugly sight. I talked to someone who was here this week and he said the best we got was a sprinkle. After seeing the flowers I worked so hard to grow I can believe it. I hope you had fun on your trip! We had a nice MCS move through at 9AM this morning in Upstate NY. We had sustained winds of 35-45 for a good few minutes. Keep in mind it was coming right off the lake so there was nothing to slow down the wind at all. I had the gauntlet of weather up there. A low of near 50 the first two mornings then it slowly warmed up, by yesterday and today it got hot and muggy up there. It was sunny all week up until this morning when we got a nice line of storms. It caused some minor damage but no severe warning was issued on the line.

I think being lakefront helped the winds live up to their full potential. The lake measures 6 miles wide by 24 miles long. It's a very large lake (Oneida Lake) and the waves were kicking up around 3-4 feet while the line blew through. I was actually on the lake, way out there fishing right before it came through and we saw some lighting strikes hitting the lake in the distance. I must say that was a pretty cool sight although scary. We got the warning from all the buzz on the lake radio we use. Everyone started talking about how bad it was on the northwest end of the lake and then my family called us on the radio after watching the radar saying we had about 15 minutes to get in before it hit. so we hauled it in ASAP and made it in under the wire to watch the impressive storms blow through.Overall I had an amazing week I hope you did as well!!! I'm looking forward to contributing to this board again on local weather here in Georgia! Also looking for some rains!! BTW I caught some very large Walleye while I was up there, went fishing nearly every morning at 5AM.

I had a great time on my trip. Sounds like you did as well! Crazy how wide the spectrum of weather you saw up there!

looks like the GFS is changing its tune some now on the super heat. There is going to be return flow and southerly winds thanks to a developing Bermuda high and a smaller high in the eastern Gulf of Mex...starting later Wednesday, so with good sw flow, muggy air and more importantly, moisture and clouds will billow quickly in the Southeast with this kind of flow. It looks like it knocked its super high heights down and the +24 is not very common or widespread. I've been watching the development of the traditional Bermuda high a while now, and with it comes slightly above normal air and a much increased chance of daily afternoon/evening storms. We just can't seem to get into that pattern long on a widespread basis. Still will be pretty hot, esp Thurs and Fri. over the central part of NC and up into VA but further south and west toward western Carolinas and all of GA and Alabama will be cooler thanks to more clouds and lower thicknesses and Gulf winds.

Looks like a nice MCS moving out of Ohio/West Virginia toward NC and eventually Georgia. The water vapor loop looks much better today. http://www.daculawea...swv/eaus_wv.php

Looks like this one has upper support for a long time too. I'm forecasting it to hold together (maybe reforming) and drop due south and then spread southwest, going around the building ring of fire ridge to our west. Usually the sw flank is where the most severe weather lies and that would place it in eastern Ky and eastern TN/w NC later today, but anywhere along the path it may develop bow lines. Usually these travel much further west and south than progged on any models, so most likely this will make enroads to GA, SC and Alabama later this evening.

post-38-0-04238700-1311076864.jpg

Looks like this one has upper support for a long time too. I'm forecasting it to hold together (maybe reforming) and drop due south and then spread southwest, going around the building ring of fire ridge to our west. Usually the sw flank is where the most severe weather lies and that would place it in eastern Ky and eastern TN/w NC later today, but anywhere along the path it may develop bow lines. Usually these travel much further west and south than progged on any models, so most likely this will make enroads to GA, SC and Alabama later this evening.

Wow, it looks very impressive on radar this morning! I sure hope lots of us get to experience this complex today!

Looks like a nice MCS moving out of Ohio/West Virginia toward NC and eventually Georgia. The water vapor loop looks much better today. http://www.daculawea...swv/eaus_wv.php

Nicer image! You can clearly see the ridge in the Mid-west. You really have to feel sorry for them. Looks like a big doughnut almost centered right in the heart of the US.

Shout!! hope you are right! I would love to see some more rain....the drier air has been nice as of late, but I'm in need of more rain....FFC mentioned this possibility last nite.....sure would be nice....they said that it may reach Atlanta/Athens south around 7 or 8 p.m....crossing fingers.:whistle:

I had several surprise showers last night late. Picked up 1/2 an inch before 3:30 am. After only a few tenths from the last week of May to the last week of June..... the end of June and all of July, so far, has been replete with the wet gold. And I've avoided the worst of the heat that July can bring.

My positive, upbeat side is pickled tink, my suspicious side is waiting for the other shoe to drop. Have to say August is my least favorite month, followed closely by May, June and July :) T

I had several surprise showers last night late. Picked up 1/2 an inch before 3:30 am. After only a few tenths from the last week of May to the last week of June..... the end of June and all of July, so far, has been replete with the wet gold. And I've avoided the worst of the heat that July can bring.

My positive, upbeat side is pickled tink, my suspicious side is waiting for the other shoe to drop. Have to say August is my least favorite month, followed closely by May, June and July :) T

What a difference 40 miles makes- I have had only 1.22 this month, .89 on the 4th.

From here.... http://forecast.weather.gov/glossary.php?letter=m

MCCMesoscale Convective Complex. A large MCS, generally round or oval-shaped, which normally reaches peak intensity at night. The formal definition includes specific minimum criteria for size, duration, and eccentricity (i.e., "roundness"), based on the cloud shield as seen on infrared satellite photographs:

• Size: Area of cloud top -32 degrees C or less: 100,000 square kilometers or more (slightly smaller than the state of Ohio), and area of cloud top -52 degrees C or less: 50,000 square kilometers or more
  • Duration: Size criteria must be met for at least 6 hours
  • Eccentricity: Minor/major axis at least 0.7

MCCs typically form during the afternoon and evening in the form of several isolated thunderstorms, during which time the potential for severe weather is greatest. During peak intensity, the primary threat shifts toward heavy rain and flooding

MCSMesoscale Convective System. Mesoscale Convective System. A complex of thunderstorms which becomes organized on a scale larger than the individual thunderstorms, and normally persists for several hours or more. MCSs may be round or linear in shape, and include systems such as tropical cyclones, squall lines, and Mesoscale Convective Complexes (MCCs) (among others). MCS often is used to describe a cluster of thunderstorms that does not satisfy the size, shape, or duration criteria of an Mesoscale Convective Complex.

Thunder toward Lake Lure... 92 degrees. Not bad. Looks like more activity coming from the northwest with this heat and humidity. Here's a pic from Sunday from atop 4,000 foot Sugarloaf Mountain on the Rutherford, Henderson, Polk County lines, looking toward Charlotte and the Piedmont. Also one looking south toward Spartanburg.

post-1004-0-61245600-1311107025.jpg

post-1004-0-19589600-1311107090.jpg

Thunder toward Lake Lure... 92 degrees. Not bad. Looks like more activity coming from the northwest with this heat and humidity. Here's a pic from Sunday from atop 4,000 foot Sugarloaf Mountain on the Rutherford, Henderson, Polk County lines, looking toward Charlotte and the Piedmont. Also one looking south toward Spartanburg.

wow, that is quite a beautiful view from there. I'm jealous, you constantly post stunning images of your surroundings. If only I could find a job in the mountains I'd be there in a second!

Archived