joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The siege is over..Cool and wet is over till autumn

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully we can get the rain to move out by the early afternoon and salvage some of the day.

It seems the speed up in verification, and now retarded recovery in the models has this written as a ruined weekend regardless of how it is subjectively read - the reality is, this blows.

Eh, we've "endured" a lot of perfect weekends this spring and early summer - eventually the odds were going to catch up to us. I had plans for outdoor activities my self that I thought I'd get in through at least 18z; but the NAM has performed poorly with the timing of rains this morning. You can bet it will be spot on dead accurate with not getting any warm sector up N of NYC though! Can't say that was seen coming - I mentioned that on page 2 I think that I had serious doubts given the synoptics.

Seeing as we are on the subject of weather and mood ... not that anyone asked but I'd rather at this point we had a whole-scale pattern change and just reset the dial so to speak. This stinks. The GFS, because of this pattern, has 2 panels out of the 384 hours worth that don't have QPF painted in NE. Not even sure how much of that is convective because in multiple intervals we have deep layer east components. I guess the upshot here is that the same rule applies for when you are looking at a major winter snow bomb on a D10 chart - too good, too far out in time. In this case, too bad too far out in time. If we model 14 days in row of schit, something should equally go wrong and change things for the better.

So it is hoped....

Place No. Name Ag Sex/Tot S Div/Tot Div Town 8 Mile Pace Nettime Pace Guntime

310 828 Kevin Wood 38 211/416 M 33/53 M3539 TOLLAND CT 1:04:11 7:44 1:50:58 8:28 1:51:17

Nice time, Kevin--congrats!

You should run the Bridge of Flowers 10K in August. Get you up to GC and let you run a real hill. :)

www.bridgeofflowers10k.com

Nice time, Kevin--congrats!

You should run the Bridge of Flowers 10K in August. Get you up to GC and let you run a real hill. :)

www.bridgeofflowers10k.com

Can't be much worse than the hills I run in Tolland.

I'm gonna do the HArtford half marathon in October.

and am contemplating doing a full marathon next year..not sure about that one yet though

and am contemplating doing a full marathon next year..not sure about that one yet though

I will dare say this is worse. Much worse than what I run on here for my regular runs which in of itself is quite hilly. The length/steepness of the race hill is something to block from your memory and is frequently cited by runners as 'totally sucks--don't ever want to do that again". Of course, they come back teh next year anyway. lol

You know there is absolutely nothing inspiring or even remotely interesting about the weather when Kev' has resorted to converting his own severe thread into a Forum out of Runners World.

Haha.

I used to run 25 miles/ week, and did so for 2 years. Now I run ~ 16 but sometimes only 12. I did 5 mile runs 5 times a week. My best time was 5.5 miles in 32minutes. Over the last year I have developed annoying lower back spasms. I replaced my mattress - that seems to have helped but only very recently. Anyway, what I was going to say is that you really get no benefit physically beyond 4 miles. This is science. When you start getting into those 10 mile runs your responsibility to it becomes carb management. Who cares - for me - at that point. I was at the 3rd stage of marathon training as a marathoner once told me, where if a gave a hoot I could run my 25 in two 13s and on 6 and after just a couple weeks I'd be ready. But I thought long and hard about it and decided, eh, who cares.

But ... yeah, for some there is that personal trophy and pride thing.

You know there is absolutely nothing inspiring or even remotely interesting about the weather when Kev' has resorted to converting his own severe thread into a Forum out of Runners World.

Haha.

I used to run 25 miles/ week, and did so for 2 years. Now I run ~ 16 but sometimes only 12. I did 5 mile runs 5 times a week. My best time was 5.5 miles in 32minutes. Over the last year I have developed annoying lower back spasms. I replaced my mattress - that seems to have helped but only very recently. Anyway, what I was going to say is that you really get no benefit physically beyond 4 miles. This is science. When you start getting into those 10 mile runs your responsibility to it becomes carb management. Who cares - for me - at that point. I was at the 3rd stage of marathon training as a marathoner once told me, where if a gave a hoot I could run my 25 in two 13s and on 6 and after just a couple weeks I'd be ready. But I thought long and hard about it and decided, eh, who cares.

But ... yeah, for some there is that personal trophy and pride thing.

Hurricane Josh was posting about plans for a marathon, I think some kind of injury may have sidelined that. I could run 3 miles in 24 minutes when I was 18 in boot camp. I'd die now if I did that...

Hurricane Josh was posting about plans for a marathon, I think some kind of injury may have sidelined that. I could run 3 miles in 24 minutes when I was 18 in boot camp. I'd die now if I did that...

You could get it back if you wanted... I did all that, as I was describing, between 35 and 40 years of age. I didn't start out that way - no way! I was a butterball at 34...6'2" and 245 pounds easy. I was big, but because of my height it spread it around enough it hid the fact that I felt like an over-loaded dump truck... The chicken gobbler beginning to form under my chin was the last straw; I was on a deck party and my drunk sister looked up at me and interrupted me in mid sentence to inform me that I was fat ...all smiles.

It wasn't ALL my fault? I had a bad knee, and didn't have health insurance at the time, so I was kind of stuck for getting any help with it. I did get a job at WSI for few months in the SQA department (didn't work out as that king kong of all azzholes Rick R. back jobbed me to HR) that gave me decent insurance for a time. It turned out that I had a Medial Meniscus tear requiring a scope. How it got that way was a mystery (I didnt' think beer and cigars could do that? haha).

So I got the knee scoped and found my self with no excuses within just 3 weeks; it really is amazing what they can do and get you back mobile in a hurry these days. So, I bought a nice Rock- Hopper Mountain bike - high quality frame; light weight and very strong. Big nob tires, I road that sucker on roads and after 3 months I was up to 22 and 28 mile rides with big hills. I'd be passed by those on road bikes and they'd yell things like, "You're working on that thing...". I did those rides 4 times a week at that point, but then the autumn grew too dark. I had made a lot of progress though... My weight crashed from 245 to 210 or so, and people started noticing; this gave me some encouragement I admit. I think positive re-enforcement is key in most cases, even if just a little. So I took a gym membership right around the time it was too dark in evenings. My intent was to convert all that getting in shape on the Mountain Bike into Treadmill. It wasn't easy. Just because your thighs get big doesn't mean you can run - different muscles. It was like starting over in a way; I could only do 3 miles at like 6.0mph - pretty pathetic. But, I stuck with it...and by mid winter I was suddenly doing 5 miles at 7.3. When spring came I took to the roads and for the next 2.5 years I really took on the life style. My weight plummeted all the way to 175p. At my height, people started telling me I was too thin of all things.

I have been working without gaps since 2008, and have eroded my dedication to it down to 3 or 4 runs at 4 a week. I've stablized though. In fact I'm running today after this Red Sox game. Prolly do 4 and half. If it is raining I'll do the gym. I'm not a big fan of running in cold and wet like Kevin.

Anyway, you can get it back and it pays off in other areas. For example, I was playing 2 on 2 b-ball with the buds the other day and they were all gasping at 35 years of age. i hardly breathed hard at all.

You could get it back if you wanted... I did all that, as I was describing, between 35 and 40 years of age. I didn't start out that way - no way! I was a butterball at 34...6'2" and 245 pounds easy. I was big, but because of my height it spread it around enough it hid the fact that I felt like an over-loaded dump truck... The chicken gobbler beginning to form under my chin was the last straw; I was on a deck party and my drunk sister looked up at me and interrupted me in mid sentence to inform me that I was fat ...all smiles.

It wasn't ALL my fault? I had a bad knee, and didn't have health insurance at the time, so I was kind of stuck for getting any help with it. I did get a job at WSI for few months in the SQA department (didn't work out as that king kong of all azzholes Rick R. back jobbed me to HR) that gave me decent insurance for a time. It turned out that I had a Medial Meniscus tear requiring a scope. How it got that way was a mystery (I didnt' think beer and cigars could do that? haha).

So I got the knee scoped and found my self with no excuses within just 3 weeks; it really is amazing what they can do and get you back mobile in a hurry these days. So, I bought a nice Rock- Hopper Mountain bike - high quality frame; light weight and very strong. Big nob tires, I road that sucker on roads and after 3 months I was up to 22 and 28 mile rides with big hills. I'd be passed by those on road bikes and they'd yell things like, "You're working on that thing...". I did those rides 4 times a week at that point, but then the autumn grew too dark. I had made a lot of progress though... My weight crashed from 245 to 210 or so, and people started noticing; this gave me some encouragement I admit. I think positive re-enforcement is key in most cases, even if just a little. So I took a gym membership right around the time it was too dark in evenings. My intent was to convert all that getting in shape on the Mountain Bike into Treadmill. It wasn't easy. Just because your thighs get big doesn't mean you can run - different muscles. It was like starting over in a way; I could only do 3 miles at like 6.0mph - pretty pathetic. But, I stuck with it...and by mid winter I was suddenly doing 5 miles at 7.3. When spring came I took to the roads and for the next 2.5 years I really took on the life style. My weight plummeted all the way to 175p. At my height, people started telling me I was too thin of all things.

I have been working without gaps since 2008, and have eroded my dedication to it down to 3 or 4 runs at 4 a week. I've stablized though. In fact I'm running today after this Red Sox game. Prolly do 4 and half. If it is raining I'll do the gym. I'm not a big fan of running in cold and wet like Kevin.

Anyway, you can get it back and it pays off in other areas. For example, I was playing 2 on 2 b-ball with the buds the other day and they were all gasping at 35 years of age. i hardly breathed hard at all.

I ran for several decades. It has taken an awful toll on my body.

Warm sector cancel it would seem.....NAM has the front down to NYC.

I ran for several decades. It has taken an awful toll on my body.

Warm sector cancel it would seem.....NAM has the front down to NYC.

It depends on one's body. Some folks are not as well suited from a bio-mechanical or physiological perspective. For those, and it is not abundantly clear who that might be at first, cycling or swimming may be a better option.

For those of you starting out, there is also a way to run that is safer. I see a lot of people "clopping" their foot falls. That's really really bad form, folks, for a few reason. To name one, bad on the joints - even if one doesn't feel it the wear is on-going. You're supposed to glide through your steps, putting emphasis on the toe, not heel. This up and down vertical motion I see ...you should almost not hear your foot falls. Resist the urge to go up and down; that way, most of your energy output is conserved in the horizontal direction, and your joints take less percussive jolt from gravity and ground.

I ran 3,300 miles in 2.5 years ...book ended by close to 1,000 on either end... After over 5,000 miles I have 0 conditions related ...or detectable as deterioration related. I don't speak for everyone, but I credit at least some of that to researching about running - it's not as simple as purchasing shoes (an art in its self - the right or wrong shoe also impacts), stretching and going. A lot of injuries happen because of those presumptions. A lot of wear and tear over longer time periods also takes place because of lacking knowledge and preparation. It's a recognized sport in the Olympics; enough said.

If you are running the right way you will tend to startle people you come up behind. You're lung action should at some point come into sync with your leg revolutions - that's a nice state to reach because you can almost go indefinitely that way without getting gassed. If not, slow down and find your sync speed. If you have to run 5.3mph, than do it. Stick to it, and it will be 6.3 before you know it. The upshot of this is that soon you'll do 8 minute miles or even better and you can take care of a 4 miles run in just a half hour - huge return on health benefits for so little time.

If you choose to go on past 4 mile runs that's a different ball-game of calorie management and other aspects of runner science, but you really don't get much benefit beyond a 4 mile run. if you do that 3 to 4 times a week it will do wonders for your baseline.

Damn I'd love to be able to run. I used to and had a great 3 mile loop around Philadelphia. All the cartilege is gone in one of my knees and any sustained pounding causes a lot of pain for days. All attempts at running in the last 10 years have had disastrous results. I had to give up full court hoops which was my main exercise in my 20s. Man do I miss that. Now it's cardio in the gym, weights, and tennis which I can still manage to do. BTW Tip, most actually helpful book I've read on back pain is Healing Back Pain by Dr. Sarno.

Amazing how quickly we here in New England can go from upper 90s and dry to mid 50s and wet in June. Happy for a little rain, but need this to move out soon so we don't start getting fungal diseases on the plants, particularly the tomatoes.

Hi everyone.

It depends on one's body. Some folks are not as well suited from a bio-mechanical or physiological perspective. For those, and it is not abundantly clear who that might be at first, cycling or swimming may be a better option.

For those of you starting out, there is also a way to run that is safer. I see a lot of people "clopping" their foot falls. That's really really bad form, folks, for a few reason. To name one, bad on the joints - even if one doesn't feel it the wear is on-going. You're supposed to glide through your steps, putting emphasis on the toe, not heel. This up and down vertical motion I see ...you should almost not hear your foot falls. Resist the urge to go up and down; that way, most of your energy output is conserved in the horizontal direction, and your joints take less percussive jolt from gravity and ground.

I ran 3,300 miles in 2.5 years ...book ended by close to 1,000 on either end... After over 5,000 miles I have 0 conditions related ...or detectable as deterioration related. I don't speak for everyone, but I credit at least some of that to researching about running - it's not as simple as purchasing shoes (an art in its self - the right or wrong shoe also impacts), stretching and going. A lot of injuries happen because of those presumptions. A lot of wear and tear over longer time periods also takes place because of lacking knowledge and preparation. It's a recognized sport in the Olympics; enough said.

If you are running the right way you will tend to startle people you come up behind. You're lung action should at some point come into sync with your leg revolutions - that's a nice state to reach because you can almDamost go indefinitely that way without getting gassed. If not, slow down and find your sync speed. If you have to run 5.3mph, than do it. Stick to it, and it will be 6.3 before you know it. The upshot of this is that soon you'll do 8 minute miles or even better and you can take care of a 4 miles run in just a half hour - huge return on health benefits for so little time.

If you choose to go on past 4 mile runs that's a different ball-game of calorie management and other aspects of runner science, but you really don't get much benefit beyond a 4 mile run. if you do that 3 to 4 times a week it will do wonders for your baseline.

It's a 400' climb in .6 miles, Kevin. Pretty steep. Here are a couple of photos from the race. They don't catch the height of the hill since the top doesn't fit in, but you can get a bit of an appreciation for the steepness from these. I just drove over it to drop off my saw. I't's a little easier in the F-150--mud splatter everywhere.

52.0/50

No way the warm front lifts through SNE tomorrow...I'll take the mesoscale models on this one. The primary low weakens and it looks like we see some secondary development along the coast with some waves developing along the warm front...this will halt northward progression. Tomorrow will be just like today.

Archived