joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The siege is over..Cool and wet is over till autumn

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still some doubt ..but overnight modles shoved the warm front farther north and have areas south of the Pike warm sectoring with dews getting well up into the 60's.

MAy have issues with clouds..and how early we clear out..but the potential is there

Sorry...just saw your other post about starting it.

Anyways, yeah lots of question marks, but if we can get some sun..looks like it could be interesting.

drove around a bit yesterday afternoon as those storms were moving in. basically a lot of lightning, some gusty winds and heavy rain.

took plenty of video - did catch the gust front moving in...managed to lift/flip a small sail boat in front me. gusted *maybe* 40 to 45 mph right there on the water's edge.

So far, June has been pretty good to SNE as far as tstms go. Last year was the same, and then it went to crap once the death ridge set in. Hopefully this season is different. Already had two power outages in the past 8 days due to lightning. Looks like going forward, we get into a more active pattern again, but I don't know if it's necessarily nw flow.

So far, June has been pretty good to SNE as far as tstms go. Last year was the same, and then it went to crap once the death ridge set in. Hopefully this season is different. Already had two power outages in the past 8 days due to lightning. Looks like going forward, we get into a more active pattern again, but I don't know if it's necessarily nw flow.

Looks like the heat ridge wants to keep coming back with periodic fronts..so looks active for the month

Was your TV ok?

Great deal of shear, unfortunately our instability will be limited, not by lack of sun but b/c of awful ML lapse rates...they are going to be pretty bad. Gotta watch for dry air mixing down into the lower levels as well.

Could see a low topped line though, with strong shear aloft could see some strong winds and freezing levels aren't too high so some hail could be possible as well.

Definitely not going to be as exciting as what we've seen the past two weeks.

Great deal of shear, unfortunately our instability will be limited, not by lack of sun but b/c of awful ML lapse rates...they are going to be pretty bad. Gotta watch for dry air mixing down into the lower levels as well.

Could see a low topped line though, with strong shear aloft could see some strong winds and freezing levels aren't too high so some hail could be possible as well.

Definitely not going to be as exciting as what we've seen the past two weeks.

They looked decent on the NAM.

On the 0z?

The 12z has them between 5.5-6 C/KM.

It looked like 6-6.5C on the 12z over srn CT, but there is also a layer of dry air aloft. That can help steepen lapse rates through evapo cooling. I'll wait until BUFKIT comes out. The wind features aloft and position of the s/w were pretty darn good.

It looked like 6-6.5C on the 12z over srn CT, but there is also a layer of dry air aloft. That can help steepen lapse rates through evapo cooling. I'll wait until BUFKIT comes out. The wind features aloft and position of the s/w were pretty darn good.

Oh nice...I was just looking at BDL...but there too you can see an area of dry air aloft.

That certainly would be good if we could get those ML lapse rates between 6-6.5 C/KM...that would help us destabilize more than what the models are showing, especially with more heating. That dry air would also enhance the wind/hail potential as well.

Oh nice...I was just looking at BDL...but there too you can see an area of dry air aloft.

That certainly would be good if we could get those ML lapse rates between 6-6.5 C/KM...that would help us destabilize more than what the models are showing, especially with more heating. That dry air would also enhance the wind/hail potential as well.

It was sort of an eyeball so who knows, but at least this one could have some good forcing aloft.

I don't really keep track of such things, but it seems like this severe season had a slow start but is making up for lost time. Probalby must a mis-perception n my part.

70.6/60

Severe season doesn't usually start until late May here and goes through about early August for most feasible threats.

Another interesting setup, where you can easily see quite a few aspects improving as we move forward in time (wrt modeling) instead of inhibitors. Overall look to the pattern has sfc pressures nosing way down the m/a though... convection would probably tend to be elevated. maybe S Coast/Cape/NYC/LI have a better shot at some stronger storms with small hail and maybe 40-50mph gusts.

In the meantime I am really liking D8-12...most guidance has a W to SW mean flow, which can be more juicy.

Will told me severe here is like blizzards in DC, pretty infrequent, must be our 2010.

High end severe for sure. Stuff like 6/1/11, 5/31/98, etc...stuff that occurs every season in the plains. We get low end severe stuff every year but rarely profiles like we saw on June 1st. Kind of like how DC gets snow every year, but rarely gets 10"+ snowstorms.

High end severe for sure. Stuff like 6/1/11, 5/31/98, etc...stuff that occurs every season in the plains. We get low end severe stuff every year but rarely profiles like we saw on June 1st. Kind of like how DC gets snow every year, but rarely gets 10"+ snowstorms.

Is there an official way to classify high end?

To be severe it has to be large hail (1"+?), damaging winds (50 knots?), and/or tornado...

You guys hit 100 yesterday, what was your highest DP during the heat wave

mid-70s during the morning... worst was probably 98-99 over 70 on wed.. dews were in the mid-60s when it hit 102 y-day. we need downsloping to get 100+ most of the time so we get a little bit of drying there.

Is there an official way to classify high end?

To be severe it has to be large hail (1"+?), damaging winds (50 knots?), and/or tornado...

There isn't really an "official" criteria for high end severe wx that I'm aware of, but from what I understand its generally considered to be hail greater than 2" which is larger than golfballs, straight line winds >70mph, or any strong tornadoes (EF2 or greater I think?).

Sorry...just saw your other post about starting it.

Anyways, yeah lots of question marks, but if we can get some sun..looks like it could be interesting.

Interesting to have the Euro and NAM be at odds... I gotta think though that with a high in that position initially NNE the AFDomain would make it tough to advect the boundary much farther N than the CT/RI borders with MA. Climate-wise that is... But then again the ECM's high is depicted weaker, too.

Archived