joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The siege is over..Cool and wet is over till autumn

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He lives in a sheltered glen whic is not representaive of 99% of that area..He radiates like a mofo at night..and is protected by the forest and the hills to his west during the day esp in the winter

Sounds a lot like here actually except for the 99% part. I'd say my location is not representative of something like 40-50% of the area around here.

Oh, and I'm not cutting my hair. :mellow:

Someone here mentioned that those east slope stations are basically in the woods. Not sure if they meant literally under the shading of trees where of course it would be a lot cooler, but that could explain it. The thing that really stands out for me, is the variance between those east slope stations and every where else. For example, we often hear Ski_MRG talk about his departure from normal on a monthly basis being around normal when everywhere else is solidly a couple degrees above, and similarly in the winter where his departures are a lot more negative than elsewhere. The western Mass. departures always seem to run a degree or two lower compared to a regional average which doesn't seem right.

Well I think that is more of a function of knowing what your average actually is... but the elevations and even mountainous areas should just about mirror every other first-order station with regards to "departures from normal." I mean, I don't know what the east slope normal high is right now, but say BDL, ORH, ALB, and FIT put up +5F departures, then the East Slopes will also be +5F... no arguing that. What seems to happen is this mix of perception and actual averages.... a +5F at BDL might be a high of 85F while Pete/MRG says it never got about 74F at his house, which would still be a +5F because his average high is probably 10F lower than BDL.

Some may claim "no torch" because it didn't hit 90F during a first-order station heat-wave... but even the hills were likely +10F or greater from normal. The reason it seems the departures are always on the "colder" side is probably because of comparing elevation temperatures with the normals from spots in the valleys, lol. Also in the monthly stats, if all of the first-order stations are above normal and people are saying it was a torch month, yet the east slopes only had a few days in the 80s and Pete says it was a "nice and cool month"... well, yeah, it was cooler than the valleys but his departure from average was likely just as positive as it was at BDL. Its all perception and how its worded.

Up here I just spent 3 hours at 4,000ft on the nice cool Mansfield ridgeline to avoid the heat in the valleys... it was 60 degrees up there with a stiff breeze. That feels nice and cold relative to the valleys... but the average high is 50F so its still 10+F (well) above normal.

Well I think that is more of a function of knowing what your average actually is... but the elevations and even mountainous areas should just about mirror every other first-order station with regards to "departures from normal." I mean, I don't know what the east slope normal high is right now, but say BDL, ORH, ALB, and FIT put up +5F departures, then the East Slopes will also be +5F... no arguing that. What seems to happen is this mix of perception and actual averages.... a +5F at BDL might be a high of 85F while Pete/MRG says it never got about 74F at his house, which would still be a +5F because his average high is probably 10F lower than BDL.

Some may claim "no torch" because it didn't hit 90F during a first-order station heat-wave... but even the hills were likely +10F or greater from normal. The reason it seems the departures are always on the "colder" side is probably because of comparing elevation temperatures with the normals from spots in the valleys, lol. Also in the monthly stats, if all of the first-order stations are above normal and people are saying it was a torch month, yet the east slopes only had a few days in the 80s and Pete says it was a "nice and cool month"... well, yeah, it was cooler than the valleys but his departure from average was likely just as positive as it was at BDL. Its all perception and how its worded.

There seems to have been an E/W gradient in departures this month due to the BDFs we've had. BOS is currently -1.5F, PVD: -0.3F, ORH: +0.3F and BDL: +0.9F.

There seems to have been an E/W gradient in departures this month due to the BDFs we've had. BOS is currently -1.5F, PVD: -0.3F, ORH: +0.3F and BDL: +0.9F.

So theoretically it should be about a degree above normal so far this month along the East Slopes, no? It may feel nice and chilly relative to the valley but its still slightly above normal.

So theoretically it should be about a degree above normal so far this month along the East Slopes, no? It may feel nice and chilly relative to the valley but its still slightly above normal.

Yeah though they may be a bit less than BDL because the east slope tends to cool more efficiently in back door cold fronts with a light NE wind than the valley would. You'll get days where its 55F on the east slope and 70F in BDL when that is obviously not a natural lapse rate for 1400 feet of elevation difference.

Yeah though they may be a bit less than BDL because the east slope tends to cool more efficiently in back door cold fronts with a light NE wind than the valley would. You'll get days where its 55F on the east slope and 70F in BDL when that is obviously not a natural lapse rate for 1400 feet of elevation difference.

Ahh... anyway it seems like most spots are right around normal (within a degree or so).

Dry heat up here today... I've got 83/44 right now with 26% humidity. We keep dropping into the 40s at night and rising into the 80s during the day. Torching up near Montreal though with a lot of 88-90F on the meso-network.

Had a nice day down in Newport today. Weather was perfect down there with temps near 80.

Such a cute place. :)

Proposed to my future wife on the Cliff Walk. I was sober, too.

Does your current wife know that?

Heavy heavy rain and thunder for all today. No cool air anywhere to be found thru day 10

Are you discounting today from that statement?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived