• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
The siege is over..Cool and wet is over till autumn

Damage In Tolland

Is that low 80s over the BDL area with CT_Blizz's house in the 68-70F range? That's an impressive gradient near the immediate torch valley.

It looks like we were quite a bit warmer up here today... I hit 81F at 800ft and we saw 78F at 1,550ft. It was about as hot as I'd like to see it during the summer... 80-82F is a good summer max. It gets any warmer than that down here in the village and I need to head up to 4,000ft to cool off.

Also worth noting is how the Eastern Slopes are a solid 8-10F colder than the rest of the Berkshires.

Tolland Co. got a little rain cooled/evap cooling. He is on the E side of the boundary now too while BDL still has the NNW-N winds.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that low 80s over the BDL area with CT_Blizz's house in the 68-70F range? That's an impressive gradient near the immediate torch valley.

It looks like we were quite a bit warmer up here today... I hit 81F at 800ft and we saw 78F at 1,550ft. It was about as hot as I'd like to see it during the summer... 80-82F is a good summer max. It gets any warmer than that down here in the village and I need to head up to 4,000ft to cool off.

Also worth noting is how the Eastern Slopes are a solid 8-10F colder than the rest of the Berkshires.

Cool in summer, snowy in Winter, this is why it's GC.lol

62/56, A high of 71, another stellar cool day. Beautiful evening in progress.Just no real heat in sight and the days keep slipping away. Perfect summer.

it was a perfect day.

sunny around 80 here today, weekend looks amazing sun with temps in the low 80s, next week is going to get hot, major heat coming in.....:thumbsup:

Tolland Co. got a little rain cooled/evap cooling. He is on the E side of the boundary now too while BDL still has the NNW-N winds.

Ahh, yeah I just looked at a 3- hour radar loop... makes sense... I thought that was a pretty big difference in only 1,000ft of elevation.

Cool in summer, snowy in Winter, this is why it's GC.lol

Amen to that brotha... if I was going to live in Mass there is no doubt in my mind where I would live. The eastern slopes always seem colder than the western slopes for whatever reason, too. It'd either have to be the eastern slope somewhere or north of ORH. I doubt I'd make it very long anywhere else, lol.

Interesting. At your elevation, quite close to the border, you come in right around 80, BAF comes in at 83 and less than 23 miles from there MRG reports 71. A casual reader of these spaces might wonder about these discrepancies and particularly why the eastern slopes of the Berkshires are colder than places 150 miles to their northwest which are similar in elevation.

Interesting. At your elevation, quite close to the border, you come in right around 80, BAF comes in at 83 and less than 23 miles from there MRG reports 71. A casual reader of these spaces might wonder about these discrepancies and particularly why the eastern slopes of the Berkshires are colder than places 150 miles to their northwest which are similar in elevation.

Don't take my word for it, Chester Hill's high yesterday was 71, Peru 72 while Goshen carded a 71 as well. Just a nice cool place to live.

We had a t-storm to cool things off yesterday.It was into the upper 70's

What I've noticed is that there are plenty of times in the summer when we are warmer up in northwest New England than portions of SNE and especially eastern New England. You guys down there have a giant ocean as an air conditioner... and us up here in northern VT are the furthest removed from the Atlantic of any place in New England.

Also, there are plenty of times in the summer when the warmest air comes in on a SW flow trajectory across upstate NY and then over into northern VT and southern Quebec (and to some extent N.NH and N.ME). No one really ever notices it, but its not uncommon for parts of Quebec north of Montreal even, to be warmer than us and the rest of New England. It just seems the further you can get from the mitigating Atlantic, the warmer it can get in a lot of summer-time set-ups. Usually when this happens though its a dry heat and that's what happened yesterday... back-to-back nights in the 40s with highs in the 80s thanks to the wide diurnal swing in these mountain valleys.

I never really question Pete's (or anyone's readings) because there are so many meso-net stations around these days that its easy to check if you have doubts. His obs always seem to match up with the other eastern slope mesonet obs.

I never really question Pete's (or anyone's readings) because there are so many meso-net stations around these days that its easy to check if you have doubts. His obs always seem to match up with the other eastern slope mesonet obs.

I always thought of places like Caribou or the hilly/mountainous parts of interior Maine into NH to be the coldest spots in New England. From what we are regularly told, it seems like the hills of western Massachusetts trumps even those spots.

I always thought of places like Caribou or the hilly/mountainous parts of interior Maine into NH to be the coldest spots in New England. From what we are regularly told, it seems like the hills of western Massachusetts trumps even those spots.

Definitely colder than up here in the northern Green Mountains... :arrowhead:

Its funny because if you look at the mesonet stations on the eastern slope they often-times are colder than we are up here during the max daytime heating. I remember noticing it last summer... during the rest of the year we are usually colder up here, but for some reason during the summer afternoons those spots stay pretty cold. I don't know if its just a bunch of weather stations under the forest canopy or what, but it is interesting if you pay attention to it.

Like right now, Peru MA at 1,800ft is colder (68F) than the Bolton (2,100ft) and Mansfield West (2,200ft) stations (both 70F) up here on the northern Green Mountain spine. Its not much, but Peru was colder than both of those stations yesterday and I bet it'll be the same today. Its always colder during the afternoon by a couple degrees. At night, the stations up here are colder. Not sure why. In the winter though the stations up here are colder than the eastern slope at the same elevation.

Definitely colder than up here in the northern Green Mountains... :arrowhead:

Its funny because if you look at the mesonet stations on the eastern slope they often-times are colder than we are up here during the max daytime heating. I remember noticing it last summer... during the rest of the year we are usually colder up here, but for some reason during the summer afternoons those spots stay pretty cold. I don't know if its just a bunch of weather stations under the forest canopy or what, but it is interesting if you pay attention to it.

Like right now, Peru MA at 1,800ft is colder (68F) than the Bolton (2,100ft) and Mansfield West (2,200ft) stations (both 70F) up here on the northern Green Mountain spine. Its not much, but Peru was colder than both of those stations yesterday and I bet it'll be the same today. Its always colder during the afternoon by a couple degrees. At night, the stations up here are colder. Not sure why. In the winter though the stations up here are colder than the eastern slope at the same elevation.

Someone here mentioned that those east slope stations are basically in the woods. Not sure if they meant literally under the shading of trees where of course it would be a lot cooler, but that could explain it. The thing that really stands out for me, is the variance between those east slope stations and every where else. For example, we often hear Ski_MRG talk about his departure from normal on a monthly basis being around normal when everywhere else is solidly a couple degrees above, and similarly in the winter where his departures are a lot more negative than elsewhere. The western Mass. departures always seem to run a degree or two lower compared to a regional average which doesn't seem right.

Someone here mentioned that those east slope stations are basically in the woods. Not sure if they meant literally under the shading of trees where of course it would be a lot cooler, but that could explain it. The thing that really stands out for me, is the variance between those east slope stations and every where else. For example, we often hear Ski_MRG talk about his departure from normal on a monthly basis being around normal when everywhere else is solidly a couple degrees above, and similarly in the winter where his departures are a lot more negative than elsewhere. The western Mass. departures always seem to run a degree or two lower compared to a regional average which doesn't seem right.

He lives in a sheltered glen whic is not representaive of 99% of that area..He radiates like a mofo at night..and is protected by the forest and the hills to his west during the day esp in the winter

Archived