Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
6/9 Thunderstorm Discussion

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a really nice cell in Hunterdon County, moving ESE and just arriving into Somerset.

I'm actually in Monroe Township right now (southern Middlesex) and appear to be in that cell's trajectory. We did, however, just have a weak pop-up cell that was just a weak rumble or two of thunder and moderate rain...I hope that didn't take away too much instability. :/

Im getting some lightning and thunder again now.

Wow that sucks.... some posters just north of me in Albertson were reporting it too, maybe it just came due south and not east?

How far apart are we? Like 5 miles I think?

Yeah, I'm about 5 miles ENE of you or so. And yeah, that cell appeared to have a due southward trajectory.

They may not want to. Yanks are banged up and frankly would do better not playing tonight. There are so many games left that there isn't a need to start the game at 10pm and lots of rain to get through. I bet they cancel it so they dont have to lose again to the sox.

Yankees already have two doubleheaders coming up and what does a doubleheader kill? Your bullpen.

No hail here but it did get a little crazy.

I wonder why wind is the main factor in determining a severe thunderstorm warning, I was in a storm in Tampa with lightning strikes every 1-3 seconds with uber-torrential downpours for 40 mins straight, I don't think think it was classified as severe because it wasn't that windy. That lightening alone was unreal.

There is a really nice cell in Hunterdon County, moving ESE and just arriving into Somerset.

I'm actually in Monroe Township right now (southern Middlesex) and appear to be in that cell's trajectory. We did, however, just have a weak pop-up cell that was just a weak rumble or two of thunder and moderate rain...I hope that didn't take away too much instability. :/

It just moved through here; had very heavy rain and lots of lightning and thunder (with a few really nice lightning strikes). No hail though, unfortunately, but the rain drops were certainly big.

Wow that sucks.... some posters just north of me in Albertson were reporting it too, maybe it just came due south and not east?

How far apart are we? Like 5 miles I think?

No hail in Long Beach or Island Park from what I could see on the train. We had big, splotchy raindrops which could mean that hail wasn't far away.

No hail in Long Beach or Island Park from what I could see on the train. We had big, splotchy raindrops which could mean that hail wasn't far away.

Ugh that reminds me of the times over the last two winters when it was snowing here and you had mixed or changed over lol-- pretty unlucky over 2 miles.

probably some hail near Sandy Hook, disapointed we couldnt get a solid line where we all cashed it.

What causes it to hail in one place and not a few miles away? For that matter, what causes a thunderstorm to restrengthen over a certain area but not somewhere else? I've always wondered about this.

What causes it to hail in one place and not a few miles away? For that matter, what causes a thunderstorm to restrengthen over a certain area but not somewhere else? I've always wondered about this.

storms pulse up and down, its almost impossible to predict, could have been a small interaction with the sea-breeze boundary which caused the cell to flare up. Its good luck to get under the strongest returns. Sky dark to my west, maybe can get a t-storm since the storm earlier didn't have much thunder.

Some heavy downpours here and the CG strikes were off in the distance.I have only seen hail here on a few occasions with .75 inch being

the largest back during the Labor Day Derecho in 1998.The other times were close to pea sized.

storms pulse up and down, its almost impossible to predict, could have been a small interaction with the sea-breeze boundary which caused the cell to flare up. Its good luck to get under the strongest returns. Sky dark to my west, maybe can get a t-storm since the storm earlier didn't have much thunder.

By your estimate, how strong were those returns in the purple over my area? 60 Dbz?

Some heavy downpours here and the CG strikes were off in the distance.I have only seen hail here on a few occasions with .75 inch being

the largest back during the Labor Day Derecho in 1998.The other times were close to pea sized.

Was that a derecho or a tornado lol.... I thought it was a tornado.

Amazing persistence of the storms in northern Monmouth. I'll be interested to see some of the rainfall totals from there.

Here in Somerset, a pretty quick storm, but some relatively intense winds with it (I'd estimate around 50 mph).

Archived