Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
6/9 Thunderstorm Discussion

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing persistence of the storms in northern Monmouth. I'll be interested to see some of the rainfall totals from there.

Here in Somerset, a pretty quick storm, but some relatively intense winds with it (I'd estimate around 50 mph).

It was back in the 90s I think Long Beach Island in coastal NJ got about a foot of rain in a stalled out thunderstorm.

I busted.I thought we were going to get a more impressive line of storms.At least we got a decent storm earlier.This could be the seasonal trend though with CT and MASS getting most of the action this summer....we shall see.

the cape was very impressive but the forcing and height falls just did not make it down here.

Amazing, I've still got occasional lightning/loud thunder with the nearest cells about 40-50 miles south of me. At least locally in Monmouth County, it was a pretty good night. No severe imby, but branches were downed in Neptune and also NE Monmouth.

I just got home after being out for few hours and I am going to report when I left my house I had nickle size hail. More round of storms were hitting more area where I was at with on and off thunder and lightning with heavy rains. What a great night for me. Now showers and thunderstorms have taper off by me here.

il be honest, it was nothing close to being severe IMBY..Just a typical storm with gusty winds, heavy downpours and frequent lightning..Im not complaining

There were more intense in my area where the winds were bit stronger and I actually had dime to nickle size hail and I would call this storm borderline to severe almost. Really this was more strong line of thunderstorms with possibly with locally severe in isolated spots. Good news was very areas I am sure got screwed with this one.

There was no servere storms anywhere in the NYC, LI metro area SW. Just as I was calling for hours and hours ago. SPC showed the squall line maintaing itself to the coast when the shear and dymanics spoke otherwise. Shear and height falls > SBCAPE we saw this last week and it held true again today.

the cape was very impressive but the forcing and height falls just did not make it down here.

The surface low tracked too far north, and was too weak, for a major severe weather event in NYC metro. That limited both the height falls and the shear/turning, which were meager. We had impressive convection with the 95/75 airmass, but it never developed any sustained rotation and was all in the form of a linear squall line rather than the discrete supercells we had in SNE the other day. I definitely agree with your analysis of the lack of severe weather.

That being said, I think you underplayed the event a little. It was an impressive thunderstorm here in Westchester with small hail, heavy rainfall, CG lightning, and booming claps of thunder. I saw dozens of lightning strikes in the area, and there was flash flooding as the parched ground could not absorb the rapid rainfall well, with it pooling on streets and sidewalks. It was one of the best thunderstorms we've had in ages, and it's nice to have a fun event without any danger or damage to structures.

There's plenty of storm development taking place still... Admittedly, I was skeptical earlier about having widespread activity, but plain and simple, I was dead wrong. I'm glad to see some stuff and happy we got a bit of rain. My lawn was starting to dry out

My vegetable garden needed a good rain...ended up with .91" here, hoping for a little more this weekend. Rainfall continued until about 8pm or so, but much lighter than the initial gust front. Also cooled us down from a high of 93.9F to the current temperature of 68.7F. Still muggy out though, won't get rid of the humidity until tomorrow night.

Lots of thunder and some good lighting but not much in the way of rain. No hail either as the best cells moved to my north and to my SW. The best action for me today was actually with the initial gust front that came through today and the action I saw as I was making the loop around from Rt 17 onto 287 south in Mahwah. Sky was pitch black and I saw some CG lighting strikes over the mountains. I think that part of the problem as to why we didn't see a more organized line was the outflow boundries. That big storm that blew up over Orange County and then headed into CT really chocked off that part of the line until it got into far NE NJ. Thats the part of the line that I ran into on my way home from work.

The surface low tracked too far north, and was too weak, for a major severe weather event in NYC metro. That limited both the height falls and the shear/turning, which were meager. We had impressive convection with the 95/75 airmass, but it never developed any sustained rotation and was all in the form of a linear squall line rather than the discrete supercells we had in SNE the other day. I definitely agree with your analysis of the lack of severe weather.

That being said, I think you underplayed the event a little. It was an impressive thunderstorm here in Westchester with small hail, heavy rainfall, CG lightning, and booming claps of thunder. I saw dozens of lightning strikes in the area, and there was flash flooding as the parched ground could not absorb the rapid rainfall well, with it pooling on streets and sidewalks. It was one of the best thunderstorms we've had in ages, and it's nice to have a fun event without any danger or damage to structures.

My vegetable garden needed a good rain...ended up with .91" here, hoping for a little more this weekend. Rainfall continued until about 8pm or so, but much lighter than the initial gust front. Also cooled us down from a high of 93.9F to the current temperature of 68.7F. Still muggy out though, won't get rid of the humidity until tomorrow night.

The thunder and lightning was very impressive tonight and lasted pretty long on and off. As I mention before I did get some nickle size hail along with 40 mph wind gust.

Archived