Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
6/9 Thunderstorm Discussion

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't even bother explaining this to someone who is now arguing for the sake of pride and doesn't want to know. Until you actually experience severe weather, you don't appreciate how rare it is and how amazingly localized some of this stuff happens. I know, I know...next he is going to tell me about all the severe weather he has experienced etc etc. and blah blah blah. Well, if it is true that you've experienced severe weather, then you know what man, you haven't learned anything from it and you are contaminating the forums with your idiocy and teaching younger people, or enthusiasts who havent experienced true severe weather, nonsense. The only time widespread severe weather occurs is when something monumental happens like a giant derecho or a huge macroburst that engulfs a decent sized area; otherwise, this crap is significantly localized.

In fact, I could pick a random town in a random state right now and make the proclamation that "town x will not see severe weather for the rest of the year " and likely verify. It is very easy to predict that severe weather won't happen somewhere.

This is what I keep telling people who think severe weather is ho hum-- just because they have a severe tstorm warning doesn't mean they're seeing severe weather! It could just as easily miss them and hit a different part of their county. Despite having warnings two or three times a year, I haven't seen truly severe weather in at least a few years. Seeing the hail yesterday was truly a treat.

This is what I keep telling people who think severe weather is ho hum-- just because they have a severe tstorm warning doesn't mean they're seeing severe weather! It could just as easily miss them and hit a different part of their county. Despite having warnings two or three times a year, I haven't seen truly severe weather in at least a few years. Seeing the hail yesterday was truly a treat.

Did it get ridiculously dark yesterday when your storms rolled in? I cannot remember a storm severe or otherwise that made it that dark, it was likke midnight outside.

Did it get ridiculously dark yesterday when your storms rolled in? I cannot remember a storm severe or otherwise that made it that dark, it was likke midnight outside.

When I looped around 17 to get onto 287 south at 5:15 the sky was pitch black looking north into Upstate NY and I saw a few cloud to ground strikes. Quite impressive. That was part of the line that eventually hit the north end of the city and Weschester. I also don't remember ever seeing that strong of a gust front. the outflow from that line was quite impressive. We dodged a big bullet severe wise.

Yep, I had to turn all my lights on early, it got really dark and windy just before the storms hit.

Plus, warnings are usually going to be issued when it's close. Most people at the NWS would rather issue a warning with the chance of decent sized hail and strong winds occuring than not issue the warning and have severe weather occur.

Look up July 1, 2001 for a sim setup. Quite a bit of svr under a sim setup. That would be a good deal if those maps verified. Edit, we had a moderate risk that day too.

You picked the best severe T-storm outbreak of my lifetime, I was mentioning this date last week; I'll take a redux any time. Bow echo moving NW to SE through NJ, produced 60+mph winds and a gustnado in NE Monmouth County. Awesome night. In fact I believe it's the only time I remember experiencing winds over 60mph.

You picked the best severe T-storm outbreak of my lifetime, I was mentioning this date last week; I'll take a redux any time. Bow echo moving NW to SE through NJ, produced 60+mph winds and a gustnado in NE Monmouth County. Awesome night. In fact I believe it's the only time I remember experiencing winds over 60mph.

No way, both severe weather outbreaks in 1998 were better bro ;)

Labor Day 1998 had a measured wind of 69 MPH here IMBY and a possible tornado a few miles from here. (I don't remember if it was confirmed).

and a high end F2 5 minutes from here!

I believe there was hail also. There were some awesome severe wx outbreaks in the 80s and 90s-- anyone remember October 1989!? And the big hailstorm in the early 90s-- it was in July I think. Lots of car windshields wrecked around here.

The Nor'easter last March with hurricane force wind gusts was probably the most awesome in terms of wind I've ever seen. The way trees and even pieces of roofs/shingles littered the area for over a week afterwards was amazing. We're lucky the water didn't come up with the storm, or else Long Beach would have suffered major damage. As it was we were knocked around like crazy for most of that afternoon and evening.

Archived