joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe wx potential Wednesday

free_man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALY doesn't issue the watches, SPC does.

Can a NWS WFO opt out of a Watch? Judging by the box, a bunch of ALY counties should be included.

ww0411_radar.gif

Edit... Nevermind, I see those counties are under the previous Severe Watch box. Upgrading to a Tornado Watch would just add confusion.

Can a NWS WFO opt out of a Watch? Judging by the box, a bunch of ALY counties should be included.

ww0411_radar.gif

They can definitely suggest they be left out and sometimes they will be. The ultimate decision is up to SPC I believe, but if a local WFO isn't excited on the prospects, then sometimes they'll exclude them, usually only if they are on the edge of the watch box though.

They are already in a severe thunderstorm watch and I'm guessing they don't want to change the watch type for a couple hours worth of storms.

Thanks... and also thanks Will. Yeah I realized that after I posted it. They are included in the previous watch. At first glance it just looked odd (like NW_Conn poster said) that a few of ALY's SE counties were left out given the location of the box, but it makes sense now.

ww0411_radar.gif

Edit... Nevermind, I see those counties are under the previous Severe Watch box. Upgrading to a Tornado Watch would just add confusion.

Yeah, and the STW issued earlier did mention the possibility of TORs in that watch area, so they're already covered. Otherwise, I'd feel cheated living in Litchfield County!

Looks like we are heading for a 90/70 type of afternoon out ahead of some sick vertical shear profiles – must say I can’t blame them. As height begin to fall aloft, I don’t recall seeing this kind of CAPE ever collocated with these hodograph indicators. I almost visualize a mad dog SC running right down the RT 2 corridor.

Looks like we are heading for a 90/70 type of afternoon out ahead of some sick vertical shear profiles – must say I can’t blame them. As height begin to fall aloft, I don’t recall seeing this kind of CAPE ever collocated with these hodograph indicators. I almost visualize a mad dog SC running right down the RT 2 corridor.

87/74 down in NYC right now

Archived