• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Clipper tracking, obs and hallucinations

Ian

You want to get the mid-level center to slide south of you or at the very least, nearly on top of you. If it starts its descent later, then there's a good chance the ML center goes across PA and exits the coast north of you leaving you with the dreaded "drying up E of the Mts" type clipper.

Thanks for answering my general banter type question

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the good measurement-takers at DCA despise snow and despise accurate measurements; and they therefore measure snow on a heated plate treated with salt every hour...okay! kidding! Seriously though they predictably, reliably, frustratingly bring up the rear in snowfall totals in the Great Washington/Baltimore area. Some of it is a localized climate, I'm sure, but some of it is inexplicable and geographically inexplicable: in numerous storms the immediate stations and citizen reporting on the north, south, east and west sides of DCA produce bigger totals- sometimes significant discrepancies within a very short geographic range. .

Even so with BWI in the position it is I would think that DCA would beat them out.

Sorry to get so off topic, but check out the mess of traffic on the webcams from 1-90 in Buffalo, especially near Cheektowaga and airport, where the Nation Weather Service just upped predictions for overnight LES to 2 to 3 feet...

My link

Those commuters should be home with a hot cup of cocoa savoring the sweet winter weather. What's wrong with them up there...if I had to live my normal life when it snows 2-3 feet I wouldn't like snow as much

Ive got to admit, looking at the GFS, its not promising for DC. This thing looks like the clipper last year that hit the blue ridge, had all of the moisture forced out over the mountains, and left everyone East with flurries does it not?

The GFS hasn't been nearly as bullish about this clipper compared to the NAM on any of the runs. We're all latching onto the NAM at this point (and trying to ignore the GFS) since it was showing something for this area.

Quick question: does anyone think that we might be entering a period of long-term negative NAO regime, and that this might work in our favor by shifting the storm track south (i.e., Miller Bs plunge into Kentucky/Tennessee instead of Ohio, and redevelop off the Carolina coast instead of the VA Capes or further north/more potential for the development of Miller As especially if the Pacific is conducive to a southern stream; or the displaced track means more "cold" storms, fewer storms that mean having to contend with WAA, etc. *DC/Baltimore hasn't had a significant threat of mixed precipitation in our big events going back to 3/1/2009*)?

Archived