• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2010

HWY316wx

i am hoping reports of the warm up will be short lived :devilsmiley: although as eyewall said dec 2010 is great and a sad farwell to it. i cant see jan or feb being close to the cold/snow in dec, esp with la nina. although we can always hope

cool rosie - thats awesome you still have a lot of snow. there are patches here, esp in the shade, maybe 30% still left? 5 days with snow on the ground so far :snowman:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fear the New Year's Torch. Hopefully La Nina won't kill the rest of the winter. Thank you December 2010! You will be missed!

At least for my area, i certainly wouldn't call a couple of days above average a "torch". I suppose you could however, make the argument that even mid 40s will feel torchy after the December we have just come through.

Is it possible that the Nina tries to kill the rest of winter............yes, but not really the way it looks on modeling. JMO

Foothills,

You mean your annual average is 49"? GSO is around 42. That 49 seems kind of high. Not doubting, just wondering.

TW

Theres a 30 year map you can google

Average Rainfall by City:

Shelby 49.31"

Charlotte 43.51"

Asheville 47.04"

Hickory 48.91"

Gastonia 44.82"

Forest City 51.54"

Greer 50.23"

At least for my area, i certainly wouldn't call a couple of days above average a "torch". I suppose you could however, make the argument that even mid 40s will feel torchy after the December we have just come through.

Is it possible that the Nina tries to kill the rest of winter............yes, but not really the way it looks on modeling. JMO

We are heading for mid 60's here for New Year's. To me that would be at least on the lower end of torching.

Fear the New Year's Torch. Hopefully La Nina won't kill the rest of the winter. Thank you December 2010! You will be missed!

I think your total so far this winter is about 6-7 inches so far (correct?). If so Im going out on a limb and saying you'll get that much the rest of winter. I'm banking on the block coming back full force and the pac jet reving up enough to provide for a couple of blockbuster collisions between now and ACC tourney time(Early March). I think everyone from the escarpment in NC/upstate SC out to US 1 in NC will duplicate their total accums to this point.

To me, I guessing my mind, torching was always for extended periods of above average temps. I don't see that right now.

Also, love seeing areas of snow on the ground too. The sun angle being about as low as it gets helps us there.

Thought this interesting out of FFC. I haven't heard any of the local mets talking about this and as we all know, one can normally get a better and more accurate analysis from the mets here. Any ideas?ional Weather Service

es, Warnings & AdvisoriesSpecial Weather StatementSPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA357 AM EST WED DEC 29 2010GAZ001>009-011>016-019>021-030>032-041-292300-DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-CHATTOOGA-GORDON-PICKENS-DAWSON-LUMPKIN-WHITE-FLOYD-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-POLK-PAULDING-COBB-HARALSON-357 AM EST WED DEC 29 2010...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIAEARLY THURSDAY MORNING...A BAND OF LIGHT RAIN WILL BEGIN TO SPREAD INTO NORTHWEST GEORGIAEARLY THURSDAY MORNING...THEN MOVE ACROSS MOST OF NORTH GEORGIA ONTHURSDAY. IF TEMPERATURES CAN FALL NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING BEFORETHE CLOUDS AND RAIN MOVE IN... THE LIGHT RAIN COULD BRING A THREATOF FREEZING RAIN TO PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIA BETWEEN 2 AM AND 10 AMTHURSDAY MORNING. THE MAIN THREAT WILL BE GENERALLY ALONG ANDNORTH OF A ROME TO CANTON TO HELEN LINE...AND MORE LIKELY CONFINEDTO THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA WHERE THE TEMPERATURESHAVE A GREATER CHANCE TO FALL BELOW FREEZING THURSDAY MORNING. DUETO THE LIMITED MOISTURE AND VERY LIGHT RAIN... LITTLE TO NOSIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED. HOWEVER...IF FREEZINGRAIN CAN DEVELOP... THERE WILL BE NUMEROUS SLICK SPOTS ON AREAROADS... BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES...MAKING THE THURSDAY MORNINGCOMMUTE VERY HAZARDOUS. RESIDENTS ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA AREENCOURAGED TO MONITOR CLOSELY THE LATEST FORECAST AND STATEMENTSBEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TRAVEL THURSDAY MORNING.

Thought this interesting out of FFC. I haven't heard any of the local mets talking about this and as we all know, one can normally get a better and more accurate analysis from the mets here. Any ideas?ional Weather Service

es, Warnings & AdvisoriesSpecial Weather StatementSPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA357 AM EST WED DEC 29 2010GAZ001>009-011>016-019>021-030>032-041-292300-DADE-WALKER-CATOOSA-WHITFIELD-MURRAY-FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-CHATTOOGA-GORDON-PICKENS-DAWSON-LUMPKIN-WHITE-FLOYD-BARTOW-CHEROKEE-POLK-PAULDING-COBB-HARALSON-357 AM EST WED DEC 29 2010...LIGHT FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE ACROSS PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIAEARLY THURSDAY MORNING...A BAND OF LIGHT RAIN WILL BEGIN TO SPREAD INTO NORTHWEST GEORGIAEARLY THURSDAY MORNING...THEN MOVE ACROSS MOST OF NORTH GEORGIA ONTHURSDAY. IF TEMPERATURES CAN FALL NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING BEFORETHE CLOUDS AND RAIN MOVE IN... THE LIGHT RAIN COULD BRING A THREATOF FREEZING RAIN TO PARTS OF NORTH GEORGIA BETWEEN 2 AM AND 10 AMTHURSDAY MORNING. THE MAIN THREAT WILL BE GENERALLY ALONG ANDNORTH OF A ROME TO CANTON TO HELEN LINE...AND MORE LIKELY CONFINEDTO THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF NORTH GEORGIA WHERE THE TEMPERATURESHAVE A GREATER CHANCE TO FALL BELOW FREEZING THURSDAY MORNING. DUETO THE LIMITED MOISTURE AND VERY LIGHT RAIN... LITTLE TO NOSIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED. HOWEVER...IF FREEZINGRAIN CAN DEVELOP... THERE WILL BE NUMEROUS SLICK SPOTS ON AREAROADS... BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES...MAKING THE THURSDAY MORNINGCOMMUTE VERY HAZARDOUS. RESIDENTS ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA AREENCOURAGED TO MONITOR CLOSELY THE LATEST FORECAST AND STATEMENTSBEFORE ATTEMPTING TO TRAVEL THURSDAY MORNING.

Right now to me it looks like a non-event which is pretty much what they are saying. It looks like they are being VERY conservative just in case. If anything does happen up in the far northern counties it will be minor. If you take the new GFS verbatim then nothing freezing will happen.

Right now to me it looks like a non-event which is pretty much what they are saying. It looks like they are being VERY conservative just in case. If anything does happen up in the far northern counties it will be minor. If you take the new GFS verbatim then nothing freezing will happen.

doesnt even look like much, if any, moisture will be in ne ga. guess they are covering their butts after the ice the week before last

the event tomorrow dampens out east of the Apps, so other than drizzle here, the Saturday event looks wet. Hope to start the new year off with a soaker, but the dynamics are heading north rapidly and that once again doesn't do much for this side of the Apps, but theres time for some improvement. Almost all snow is gone here, just some patches left, especially in the shady areas. The sunny areas went yesterday.

i am hoping reports of the warm up will be short lived :devilsmiley: although as eyewall said dec 2010 is great and a sad farwell to it. i cant see jan or feb being close to the cold/snow in dec, esp with la nina. although we can always hope

cool rosie - thats awesome you still have a lot of snow. there are patches here, esp in the shade, maybe 30% still left? 5 days with snow on the ground so far :snowman:

Think it will take at least till Thurs. afternoon to all melt. My roof is still totally covered as is almost all the property I think a short warm up may feel nice!

my snow hating family said that I had best not ask for snow again! HA!!.

Think it will take at least till Thurs. afternoon to all melt. My roof is still totally covered as is almost all the property I think a short warm up may feel nice!

my snow hating family said that I had best not ask for snow again! HA!!.

Actually still a decent amount around here too. Melting well now, but it'll take until tomorrow to clear out the shady areas.

I think your total so far this winter is about 6-7 inches so far (correct?). If so Im going out on a limb and saying you'll get that much the rest of winter. I'm banking on the block coming back full force and the pac jet reving up enough to provide for a couple of blockbuster collisions between now and ACC tourney time(Early March). I think everyone from the escarpment in NC/upstate SC out to US 1 in NC will duplicate their total accums to this point.

Do you know the Mayor of Jackson Creek, Kevin Hunt? :lmao:

Looks similar to that yes. Would be lovely to cash in a few more times this winter. DT talked about the Block in the link posted a few back.

Snow is still all over the place here!! Looking at 49 as a high today. However, the North side of my house continues to have 5-6" on the ground. :drunk:

Is it just me or does the long range 12z GFS look exactly like what just happened the last couple weeks where we get a Greenland block that slowly retrogrades west over Canada...

I think they are more covering there ass after the debacle a couple of weeks ago. Just my opinion though

6.3 inches is my season total. I would love to have a shot at doubling that. I am hoping you are right and the blocking returns.

I've been impressed with the staying power of this snow. Up until this morning there was quite a lot in shady areas too, some still about 2 inches deep. However, with temps up into the low 50s here today, even the most protected areas are melting fast. I don't expect to see any left today except on the bare ground in protected spots. There the cold ground temp will help it survive maybe one more day. Indeed, the ground has been frozen the last few days. There was solid ice in front of the house yesterday on the ground with no signs of melting despite temps well above freezing. Shame that wasn't the case when the snow first started.

No way jan/feb will be like this december, simply because of the fact that it would be nearly impossible to keep those kinds of departures for another month or two. Hopefully though we have a few spells where we have potential. I am still waiting for that big wedge and icestorm...is it even possible for them to exist anymore? I never would have thought I would have far more snow than freezing rain the last couple of seasons.

52 right now...feels like spring.

Is it just me or does the long range 12z GFS look exactly like what just happened the last couple weeks where we get a Greenland block that slowly retrogrades west over Canada...

If you look at the Euro at 240 and the LR GFS with the temps our next chance might be in the 8-13th range. Of course it's 240 + so who knows? It aint exactly a stretch or a risk to guess something might happen then arrowheadsmiley.png

If you look at the Euro at 240 and the LR GFS with the temps our next chance might be in the 8-13th range. Of course it's 240 + so who knows? It aint exactly a stretch or a risk to guess something might happen then :arrowhead:

I'm thinking we might have a chance at an overrunning ice threat around the 7 day timeframe. And yea, beyond that looks ripe with potential.

I've gotten over my usual screwjob depression syndrome and look forward to tracking the next one.:arrowhead:

Enough of that particular type of off-topic talk, especially the chicken appetizer just two hours before supper!!! I had a late breakfast and am trying to hold off after skipping lunch, but you are certainly not helping matters with that type of discussion!!! :popcorn: <- into the Christmas cookies in the meantime! :P

I take the Jesus Store for granted way too often. (thankfully I'm forgiven haha) You really are brave to do Hamrick's and the Mall!! Great deals to be had, I'm sure. I hope you ate at FATZ...Carolina Stacked Chicken w/Honey Barbecue Chicken appetizer is a religious experience in and of itself. thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Still got at least 2 inches in the back yard. It's finally melting off of the roof on the back of the house.

If I remember correctly, just before the temps tanked in Dec., I had an azalea blooming due to the warmth of that Endless Indian Summer we had. This winter, I don't think anyone can say, with any amount of certainty, what will happen. I'm looking forward to it.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Snow hanging around here also. Makes me think of the old wives tale that snow lingering on the ground is waiting for more!!! :thumbsup: Seeing the same depths is KVille, with the snow pack hanging on in the back yard in full sun, something that normally does not happen. Low Sunday night was 9.5, Monday night 14.5 and last night was 21.1. Highs creeping up into low 40's.

I've been impressed with the staying power of this snow. Up until this morning there was quite a lot in shady areas too, some still about 2 inches deep. However, with temps up into the low 50s here today, even the most protected areas are melting fast. I don't expect to see any left today except on the bare ground in protected spots. There the cold ground temp will help it survive maybe one more day. Indeed, the ground has been frozen the last few days. There was solid ice in front of the house yesterday on the ground with no signs of melting despite temps well above freezing. Shame that wasn't the case when the snow first started.

No way jan/feb will be like this december, simply because of the fact that it would be nearly impossible to keep those kinds of departures for another month or two. Hopefully though we have a few spells where we have potential. I am still waiting for that big wedge and icestorm...is it even possible for them to exist anymore? I never would have thought I would have far more snow than freezing rain the last couple of seasons.

52 right now...feels like spring.

Hey guys, I kinda went dorment to the SE thread for a while with the blizzard in the northeast. I was working the whole event and was stranded for awhile. Finally was able to get home to my apt and drove back home to NC yesterday. It only took 15 hours... when its a 9-10 hour trip. Traffic was a nightmare. Anyway, here is a video I took on Sunday night at Brookhaven National Labs... We had gusts at KISP to 64 mph near the time of this video but I dont have a measurement for what we had where I took the video. There was also some lightning later on and I heard some thunder. Also thundersnow in NYC too.

Hey guys, I kinda went dorment to the SE thread for a while with the blizzard in the northeast. I was working the whole event and was stranded for awhile. Finally was able to get home to my apt and drove back home to NC yesterday. It only took 15 hours... when its a 9-10 hour trip. Traffic was a nightmare. Anyway, here is a video I took on Sunday night at Brookhaven National Labs... We had gusts at KISP to 64 mph near the time of this video but I dont have a measurement for what we had where I took the video. There was also some lightning later on and I heard some thunder. Also thundersnow in NYC too.

That was an amazing storm! Glad you got home safe :thumbsup:

Archived