mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
December 2010

HWY316wx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, was I upset this morning. It was down to 10 degrees last night. My wife got to stay at home with the kids yesterday (yipee, snow day for them). I had to go to work. My wife didn't even take the time to go outside and clean her car off which made it extremely hard to do this morning, with wind chill's below 0 (yes, you guessed right - it was ME who had to clean it off for her).

Not only did this occur, but she never even let our kids (ages 4 and 7) bundle up and go play in the 1.5 to 2 inches of snow we had, which of course meant she didn't take pictures (as I asked her to) - which means I can't share anything with my friends here. Anyway, thought you all deserved an explanation. Rant over.

Unfortunately that's just the way it seems to go so many times....

true, so true. i think i am more annoyed today than normal, though, since for a few days leading up to yesterday we were "supposed" to have moisture with the colder temps (a decent percentage of snow tomorrow). we have already been much colder, for a much longer period of time, this month than i would have ever believed coming into winter. hopefully this wont be our only cold period for the winter :popcorn:

Greensboro has had three days this December wherein the temperature did not get above freezing. Last winter, the temperature did not get above freezing on three occasions for the ENTIRE winter!

Seriously? MBY had 8 days below freezing, from the epic cold snap in early January and other cold snaps/snow events. Obviously you guys didn't hurt for snow though...

Seriously? MBY had 8 days below freezing, from the epic cold snap in early January and other cold snaps/snow events. Obviously you guys didn't hurt for snow though...

If I remember right, you all got hit by the cold snap more so than us. Really, you and I are pretty near in regards to average temperatures, it's just that North Carolina is in better position for snowstorms with lows riding up the coast and such.

On a side note I saw some nice geminid meteors last night. Anyone else take a look?

yes i did! only saw a couple, but the other day i saw a really good one (maybe a precursor)

the problem last night was it was so dang cold and windy it was hard to stand out there and look. it was already in the low teens here by mid evening.

If I remember right, you all got hit by the cold snap more so than us. Really, you and I are pretty near in regards to average temperatures, it's just that North Carolina is in better position for snowstorms with lows riding up the coast and such.

Don't I know it...we plenty of dusting to 2" events here but even moderate snows like the 4" we got last Feb are surprisingly rare, looking at our averages.

Why is it that in September and October we often have 30 degree swings with clear skies and dry air, whereas now it is hard to get that type of drop from day to night?

In those months the sun angle is still relatively high. So even though the nights are getting longer and the air masses get progressively cooler there is still much more solar radiation to warm the air during the day than in winter when the Sun is much lower in the sky. Hope this helps.

Yep...same here. The arctic high is settling on to of us which should calm the winds tonight. Gonna be another one.

Definitely. Winds never really died down this morning (as I learned all too quickly walking outside at 7:00 AM) so we didn't have ideal cooling conditions. A black lab just ran across part of the pond behind my house going after a bird...we only hit 31.8 here.

Yep...same here. The arctic high is settling on to of us which should calm the winds tonight. Gonna be another one.

Thanks to downslope drying, dewpoints here have dropped to near 0. Currently have a dewpoint of 1 degree, same goes for athens, ..anderson has a dp of -1, and Greenville has a dp of -3. Even around augusta dps are at or below zero. These are the driest dewpoints we have had in quite some time I think. So hopefully that spells some impressive lows tonight.

Btw, checkout the dewpoints in south florida...teens and even some single digits! Now that is something you don't see every day.

Archived