Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December 2010

HWY316wx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelby airport down to 28 after a high temp of 30. Charlotte is 30 after a high of 32. We would have been a few degrees colder here, but the lee trough held in place for quite a while this morning. Here was my call from Friday morning, I posted in another thread.

Just went outside to work on my thermometer, I'm trying to find a better spot to get a more accurate reading. Dang wind on this little bit of snow we have on the ground was biting through my face.

I would say schools for many western north carolina counties this week will be short. Any secondary roads that were icy got absolutely no help today. Roads here for the most part are okay but I'm not convinced we'll have school here tomorrow either. Wind chills is going to be a big factor also, getting into negative numbers.

EDIT: High Wind Warnings and Wind Chill Advisories now out for the escarpment.

I'm new to posting (far more lurking). Most days feel like I need a secret decoder ring to decipher the posts, but I've learned a lot.

This probably needs to go to a different thread, but I'm not sure which one- question: Rome is consistently in a screw zone. More often than not, if there is snow in NW GA, NE AL you can literally drive 30 miles in any direction and find measurable accumulation without a trace amount in the county. I've asked locals, but no one knows enough about weather for a reasonable answer. I saw a post or two back at Eastern... but didn't really understand them.

I think Rome Kinda sits in a hole elevation wise, that might explain why you would get screwed in these type events. I do know that they get hotter than Metro ATL by couple degrees most every day in the summer

Not at home but the nearest station is reporting a high of 27 so far. Atlanta is at 27 currently. Very impressive cold...it's hard to get temps to stay in the 20s here without a blanket of snow.

You've got that right. So far my high has only been 23.7. Just got off the phone with my propane company out of Suches and they said they got 2" of snow. That's only 9 miles from my house "as the crow flies"....but I guess being at 3,000+ feet there does help a bit.

Just went outside to work on my thermometer, I'm trying to find a better spot to get a more accurate reading. Dang wind on this little bit of snow we have on the ground was biting through my face.

I would say schools for many western north carolina counties this week will be short. Any secondary roads that were icy got absolutely no help today. Roads here for the most part are okay but I'm not convinced we'll have school here tomorrow either. Wind chills is going to be a big factor also, getting into negative numbers.

yeah i was just pumping gas about an hour ago and the wind was very strong and you could feel the air getting colder by the minute. Once the cold advection kicked in, it really got in high gear. Its the coldest I've "felt" in a few years here, talking wind chill.

I have a chance in the forecast ::: :snowman:

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW...FREEZING RAIN AND

SLEET AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. NOT AS COOL

WITH LOWS IN THE MID 20S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY...SLEET LIKELY IN THE MORNING. FREEZING RAIN AND RAIN

LIKELY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

70 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...RAIN LIKELY IN THE EVENING. MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH

A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN AND LIGHT SLEET. NEAR STEADY

TEMPERATURE IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLY

SUNNY. A CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING. HIGHS IN THE

LOWER 40S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT

I think Rome Kinda sits in a hole elevation wise, that might explain why you would get screwed in these type events. I do know that they get hotter than Metro ATL by couple degrees most every day in the summer

Rome sets a good deal lower than the metro area. That combined with Lookout mountain to the west means higher temperatures and a screw zone in NW flow events. My inlaws have property in Cave Spring. We have gone there on a NW flow day to watch the flurries dry up before getting there. Then we drive home to have a pretty good snowshower.

I just went through the Clemson Entomology Dept. Weather station history looking for the coldest recorded high temperature. I used this station because it is extremely reliable and most often corresponds well with my backyard temperature. Anyways, I've went back through 2005 and the coldest day I could find was January 29, 2005. The high that day was 32 degree's.

Today, that station hasn't gotten above 31 degree's and currently sits at 30!

27.5 here from 29 when I got home at 4pm....

Spent the last 30mins walking the pasture looking for our outside cat... Been gone 2 1/2 days now..

Got I brought the ear muffs cause that wind is biting this afternoon...

Good luck finding your little kitty. Hopefully he (or she) will turn up soon.

And exactly what kind of thermometer do you have. You have been consistently 5-8° colder than me and NEGa and you live in Atlanta?

Just curious :whistle:

I was just about to ask that! I'm only 24 here and he's further south than me. Might want to check some obs and figure out what's wrong with it :)

And exactly what kind of thermometer do you have. You have been consistently 5-8° colder than me and NEGa and you live in Atlanta?

Just curious :whistle:

We have been colder than you have, you have a lot of down sloping and it has been just about completely cloudy all day...

Archived