12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December 2010

HWY316wx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to downslope drying, dewpoints here have dropped to near 0. Currently have a dewpoint of 1 degree, same goes for athens, ..anderson has a dp of -1, and Greenville has a dp of -3. Even around augusta dps are at or below zero. These are the driest dewpoints we have had in quite some time I think. So hopefully that spells some impressive lows tonight.

Btw, checkout the dewpoints in south florida...teens and even some single digits! Now that is something you don't see every day.

Yeah my DP has been in the single digits here. The thing with this extremely dry air is that I'm getting shocked from static electricity more times than I can count. I brushed my headphone cord across my shirt and zap, a shock right to the inside of my ears (the earpieces have some metal inside them). I almost made my friend fall out of her chair when I snuck up and zapped her though :lol:

Imagine how cold it would of been if there was snow on the ground. Probably single digits at night would be my guess.

The daytime highs would have been more impressive as well. Remember last January after the light snow we had, and how temps were in the teens much of the day after? With a nice blanket of snow we would have likely had similar temps, at least yesterday.

Thanks to downslope drying, dewpoints here have dropped to near 0. Currently have a dewpoint of 1 degree, same goes for athens, ..anderson has a dp of -1, and Greenville has a dp of -3. Even around augusta dps are at or below zero. These are the driest dewpoints we have had in quite some time I think. So hopefully that spells some impressive lows tonight.

Btw, checkout the dewpoints in south florida...teens and even some single digits! Now that is something you don't see every day.

I believe that Miami will challenge the 30° record December low...it's going to be close.

Yeah that is crazy low for down there. Only fly in the ointment for lows tonight is the model depiction of some 700mb moisture after midnight that may hamper some of the cooling tonight.

Yeah my DP has been in the single digits here. The thing with this extremely dry air is that I'm getting shocked from static electricity more times than I can count. I brushed my headphone cord across my shirt and zap, a shock right to the inside of my ears (the earpieces have some metal inside them). I almost made my friend fall out of her chair when I snuck up and zapped her though :lol:

The daytime highs would have been more impressive as well. Remember last January after the light snow we had, and how temps were in the teens much of the day after? With a nice blanket of snow we would have likely had similar temps, at least yesterday.

Yeah, I'm getting shocked all the time too. I dread touching the door lol.

No doubt snow cover would have made a big difference in temps. I was just talking to someone last night about that. It dissappoints me to a degree because the temps would have been really impressive.

I believe that Miami will challenge the 30° record December low...it's going to be close.

MFL is forecasting 36. At the least they will challenge the record low for the date of 35. I do wonder if they are a little on the warm side with such low dewpoints (miami has a dp of 11) because they are expecting winds to decouple.

Speaking of those dewpoints, I failed to mention the numerous sites that are reporting dps of near 0 and even below zero in north and central florida! Gainesville has a dp of -2..amazing numbers. Really makes you wonder how cold they will get.

Yeah that is crazy low for down there. Only fly in the ointment for lows to nice is the model depiction of some 700mb moisture after midnight that may hamper some of the cooling tonight.

I see what you mean, looks like northern florida could be clipped. But it Looks like that will mainly miss south florida. Soundings from the gfs/nam look pretty dry there.

I see what you mean, looks like northern florida could be clipped. But it Looks like that will mainly miss south florida. Soundings from the gfs/nam look pretty dry there.

True. I should have clarified that I meant the clouds might hamper temps in GA tonight from what could have been to coldest night in the areas to do well with radiational cooling.

Yeah it was quite cold during that stretch last January even with limited snowcover. I remember some secondary streets were covered with ice for over a week!

Definitely. Winds never really died down this morning (as I learned all too quickly walking outside at 7:00 AM) so we didn't have ideal cooling conditions. A black lab just ran across part of the pond behind my house going after a bird...we only hit 31.8 here.

now that is something you dont see often at ALL in georgia :lol: just shows how cold it has been :thumbsup:

25.3 here with a dewpoint of 4 (too bad we arent tracking something now lol). it looks like the high here was 29.9

On a sidenote.... this one reason I like the subforums. We can have individual threads on events instead of being relegated to one obs/discussion thread in the main forum.

It's taken a damn long time to convince people to actually start posting in multiple threads, though. I remember when we first got subforums, there was still just one active thread in here. I tried to say that we should have separate threads, but Lookout would just merge them or tell me I was being ridiculous arrowheadsmiley.png

It's taken a damn long time to convince people to actually start posting in multiple threads, though. I remember when we first got subforums, there was still just one active thread in here. I tried to say that we should have separate threads, but Lookout would just merge them or tell me I was being ridiculous arrowheadsmiley.png

[Zwyts] Lookout is a horr...[Zwyts]

:huh: I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't recall doing that at all and if I did, there was probably a good reason for it. In fact, the only thing I remember doing was not wanting to have multiple threads talking about the same system..forcing people to search multiple threads for thoughts on other posters they regularly follow for their thoughts on that system.

That is not what is going on here as there are threads on different systems which is fine and we have all agreed was the right approach.

For pure entertainment purposes, the 18Z MON gfs has what appears to me to be a major ZR along with attendant classic CAD for much of N GA and surrounding areas on 12/30-31. If that isn't enough, it then drops an amazing 2-4" of snow along/near the Gulf coast ENEward to CHS on 1/5, Bring it on lol.

Edit: classic CAD cancel for 12/30-1 on the 0Z TUE gfs. Next!

Edit #2: Folks, that isn't your imagination. That is, indeed, a major northern Gulf coast state snowstorm on 1/5 on the 0Z Tue gfs. Bring it on!

For pure entertainment purposes, the 18Z MON gfs has what appears to me to be a major ZR along with attendant classic CAD for much of N GA and surrounding areas on 12/30-31. If that isn't enough, it then drops an amazing 2-4" of snow along/near the Gulf coast ENEward to CHS on 1/5, Bring it on lol.

Edit: classic CAD cancel for 12/30-1 on the 0Z TUE gfs. Next!

Edit #2: Folks, that isn't your imagination. That is, indeed, a major northern Gulf coast state snowstorm on 1/5 on the 0Z Tue gfs. Bring it on!

Yeah, I've been watching the long, long range and throwing down the bones, and I think the gfs is going to morph a few of the longer range fantasies into one real storm around New Years, but I'm not conjuring up a z storm....please no. The way the blocking has been, I really think we get at least one good track pretty soon. Or at least a better shot than a storm crossing through Ga. T

i hope this is the general discussion thread.

gorgeous day here west of charlotte. 62F in gastonia with sunny skies. perfect hiking weather. i couldn't have timed this better.

unfortunate that it's all downhill from here.

You were literally 3 miles or so from me. My sister's house actually backs up to that state park. Did you enjoy the hike?

Archived