• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December 2010

HWY316wx

While I am not looking for anything major, I will say I assume because of Snowcover still temps here in NW Ga have def. remained in the 30s. Dew points are in the Mid to upper 20s. If we do get some precip in overnight temps will probably most likely hangout around that freezing mark later before rising by morning. Def. may be something to keep an eye out on.

Ga Temps

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, I kinda went dorment to the SE thread for a while with the blizzard in the northeast. I was working the whole event and was stranded for awhile. Finally was able to get home to my apt and drove back home to NC yesterday. It only took 15 hours... when its a 9-10 hour trip. Traffic was a nightmare. Anyway, here is a video I took on Sunday night at Brookhaven National Labs... We had gusts at KISP to 64 mph near the time of this video but I dont have a measurement for what we had where I took the video. There was also some lightning later on and I heard some thunder. Also thundersnow in NYC too.

Wow amazing video and an amazing event over all for you NYC and surrounding folks. Sucks you had to work but glad you got to see a pretty big snow (was it at all historic in any way?). My friend who was supposed to come back on Monday is still stuck in NYC.

Wow amazing video and an amazing event over all for you NYC and surrounding folks. Sucks you had to work but glad you got to see a pretty big snow (was it at all historic in any way?). My friend who was supposed to come back on Monday is still stuck in NYC.

My work is all Meteorology so I still enjoyed it! For eastern LI it was nothing historic but NYC got 20 inches which is the 6th most all time. Some places west of the city around Newark so 2 feet or more.

My work is all Meteorology so I still enjoyed it! For eastern LI it was nothing historic but NYC got 20 inches which is the 6th most all time. Some places west of the city around Newark so 2 feet or more.

Ha well luck you then on both fronts. Was looking at the blizzard pic thread and that is just amazing. I know my brother in Portland, Maine was saying they were expecting 18 inches plus from that but didn't get a call about how much he ended up with. I've been in one blizzard in my life near Toronto and it laid down around a foot, was pretty awesome to see and even more amazing to be riding in a car during it.

While I am not looking for anything major, I will say I assume because of Snowcover still temps here in NW Ga have def. remained in the 30s. Dew points are in the Mid to upper 20s. If we do get some precip in overnight temps will probably most likely hangout around that freezing mark later before rising by morning. Def. may be something to keep an eye out on.

Ga Temps

Able to measure 3 inches of snow on the open deck, cloudy all day but the snow is slowly disappearing.

I would say the amount of wind with this one on LI was historic.

I've been impressed with the staying power of this snow. Up until this morning there was quite a lot in shady areas too, some still about 2 inches deep. However, with temps up into the low 50s here today, even the most protected areas are melting fast. I don't expect to see any left today except on the bare ground in protected spots. There the cold ground temp will help it survive maybe one more day. Indeed, the ground has been frozen the last few days. There was solid ice in front of the house yesterday on the ground with no signs of melting despite temps well above freezing. Shame that wasn't the case when the snow first started.

No way jan/feb will be like this december, simply because of the fact that it would be nearly impossible to keep those kinds of departures for another month or two. Hopefully though we have a few spells where we have potential. I am still waiting for that big wedge and icestorm...is it even possible for them to exist anymore? I never would have thought I would have far more snow than freezing rain the last couple of seasons.

52 right now...feels like spring.

It does feel "warm" out today. Normally upper 40s low 50s is nippy lol. Looks like if we don't hit freezing tonight the snow will be gone tomorrow morning :( a lot melted today and down to shady areas, trees and north side of buildings/hills to have an left

Sbuwx - awesome video!!

Hey guys, I kinda went dorment to the SE thread for a while with the blizzard in the northeast. I was working the whole event and was stranded for awhile. Finally was able to get home to my apt and drove back home to NC yesterday. It only took 15 hours... when its a 9-10 hour trip. Traffic was a nightmare. Anyway, here is a video I took on Sunday night at Brookhaven National Labs... We had gusts at KISP to 64 mph near the time of this video but I dont have a measurement for what we had where I took the video. There was also some lightning later on and I heard some thunder. Also thundersnow in NYC too.

Great video SBUWX23 :thumbsup: Not sure what the guy shoveling the snow was thinking...but he was giving it his best :lol:

It does feel "warm" out today. Normally upper 40s low 50s is nippy lol. Looks like if we don't hit freezing tonight the snow will be gone tomorrow morning :( a lot melted today and down to shady areas, trees and north side of buildings/hills to have an left

Sbuwx - awesome video!!

Hey guys, well Sunday I ended up catching a 2 day fever, thought it was the flu but alot better now. I'm gonna welcome a warm-up but signs are pointing back to another cold snap after 10 days from the models and what i've read.

Still got a few spots in the yard with an inch of snow, soon to be gone.

Hope ya'll enjoyed this memorable weekend!

Not too bright forecast from FFC mentioning ZR in the ATL area tonight- not only are the wet bulbs too high, there is little chance of rain here besides. Thanks to their bad forecast, our tax dollars are being wasted as the DOT is actually sanding bridges around here.

You have got to be kidding...that is a complete waste :rolleyes: it doesn't really look close (moisture with marginal temps or vice versa)

Temps are too warm, dew points too high and no moisture :whistle:

Hey guys, well Sunday I ended up catching a 2 day fever, thought it was the flu but alot better now. I'm gonna welcome a warm-up but signs are pointing back to another cold snap after 10 days from the models and what i've read.

Still got a few spots in the yard with an inch of snow, soon to be gone.

Hope ya'll enjoyed this memorable weekend!

Ugh - glad you feel better. If the warm up is only ten days I can handle it, although i will start getting nervous if it is still warm at the end of Jan

Radar looks impressive down in LA ? Can't never tell some of that could sneak in here early morning (but i doubt it) ?

.THURSDAY...A SLIGHT CHANCE OF FREEZING RAIN IN THE MORNING.

MOSTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF RAIN. HIGHS IN THE UPPER

40S. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION

20 PERCENT.

Still not expecting a Major problem from this as temps should warm quickly by morning but most areas now in NW Ga are in the upper 20s to around 30 already and a NE breeze along dew points in the 20s still. Some moisture is increasing just to our SW in Bama so some Freezing Rain does indeed look possible around here between about 2:AM-7:AM before temps should rise above freezing after around 7.

Not too bright forecast from FFC mentioning ZR in the ATL area tonight- not only are the wet bulbs too high, there is little chance of rain here besides. Thanks to their bad forecast, our tax dollars are being wasted as the DOT is actually sanding bridges around here.

Whoops! Man...they just can't win for losing!:lightning:

This is something you don't see every day :snowman:

I lived in Catalina for a little over 10yrs and it snowed once with a dusting...Mt. Lemmon will be busy this weekend it seems with all the new powder :thumbsup:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TUCSON AZ

915 AM MST THU DEC 30 2010

.SYNOPSIS...A VERY STRONG WINTER STORM IS BRINGING HEAVY MOUNTAIN

SNOW WITH SNOW LEVELS FALLING TO NEAR VALLEY FLOORS TODAY. MUCH

COLDER OVERNIGHT LOWS WITH A HARD FREEZE AND AREAS OF FROST TONIGHT

NIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING AS WELL AS FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY

MORNING.

&&

.DISCUSSION...THE FRONT HAS MOVED THROUGH THE TUCSON AREA AND

CONTINUES TO PUSH EAST AND SOUTH THROUGH SOUTHEAST ARIZONA. SNOW

LEVELS HAVE FALLEN TO NEAR 3000 FEET AND CONTINUE TO FALL QUICKLY

THIS MORNING. THE BLIZZARD WARNING IS DOING WELL WITH VERY STRONG

WINDS CONTINUING IN THE MOUNTAINS AND HEAVY SNOW REPORTS. HANNAGAN

MEADOW HAS REPORTED 24 INCHES SO FAR. ROUGH ESTIMATES FOR THE

CATALINA MOUNTAINS INCLUDING THE MT LEMMON AREA ARE FROM 10 TO 16

INCHES SO FAR BASED ON FOOTHILLS RAIN GAGE TRENDS AND DISTRIBUTION.

HEAVY SNOW STARTED EARLIER THIS MORNING IN ORACLE WITH

SADDLEBROOKE...CATALINA...AND SAFFORD ALSO STARTING SNOW. THE WINTER

STORM WARNING ABOVE 2800 FEET HAS BEEN LOWERED TO 2000 FEET. UP TO 1

INCH OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE IN SOME AREAS OF TUCSON.

AHEAD OF THE FRONT COCHISE COUNTY HAS GOTTEN QUITE WINDY...SO A WIND

ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT UNTIL THE FRONT PUSHES THROUGH THAT AREA

AROUND EARLY AFTERNOON.

THE DEEPEST MOISTURE IS EAST OF THE AREA...HOWEVER THE ATMOSPHERE

BEHIND THE FRONT WILL BE VERY EFFICIENT AT GENERATING PRECIPITATION.

THE CLEARING AREA WE EARLIER SAW THROUGH MUCH OF PINAL AND WESTERN

TO CENTRAL PIMA COUNTY HAS QUICKLY FILLED IN ON SATELLITE IMAGERY

WITH PERIODS OF RAIN/SNOW SHOWERS REMAINING LIKELY INTO THE EARLY

AFTERNOON HOURS.

The GF is flying into Tuscon as we speak. Good thing I forced her to take her winter jacket. She thought it was going to be sunny and 60 guitar.gif.

Over in the west forum they were talking about how while it's rare for Tuscon to get a big snow (say 4 inches and up) they get flurries and a dusting on occasion. I believe they said they got a dusting last year, 2004 and 2002 IIRC.

For December 2010, CLT will end the month approximately 10 degrees below normal. The average high was 45, average low 24, for an average of 34.5 degrees. If tomorrow is above average in temperature, there were only 4 days of average or above average temps for the entire month. The temperature got below 20 on eight days. Including New Year's Eve, the temperature reached 50 on 7 days (two days reached 60). The lowest temp was 10, the highest was 67 degrees.

The GF is flying into Tuscon as we speak. Good thing I forced her to take her winter jacket. She thought it was going to be sunny and 60 guitar.gif.

Over in the west forum they were talking about how while it's rare for Tuscon to get a big snow (say 4 inches and up) they get flurries and a dusting on occasion. I believe they said they got a dusting last year, 2004 and 2002 IIRC.

:lol: She will be glad she took it..lol It is very rare for them to see any snow. I'm not sure what year it was when it snowed (sometime in the 80's), as CRS has set in, and I can't google from work :(:P This is quite a treat for them and I hope they get more than just a dusting :hug:

:lol: She will be glad she took it..lol It is very rare for them to see any snow. I'm not sure what year it was when it snowed (sometime in the 80's), as CRS has set in, and I can't google from work :(:P This is quite a treat for them and I hope they get more than just a dusting :hug:

You can post on message boards, but not google? haha

Archived