joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2010

HWY316wx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not too bright forecast from FFC mentioning ZR in the ATL area tonight- not only are the wet bulbs too high, there is little chance of rain here besides. Thanks to their bad forecast, our tax dollars are being wasted as the DOT is actually sanding bridges around here.

There was sand and salt everywhere on the way to ATL today.

For December 2010, the average high at RDU was 43, average low 26, for an average monthly temp approaching 35 degrees. The average temp was almost 9 degrees below normal. If tomorrow is above normal, there will have been 4 days with above normal temperatures. The highest temp was 70, the lowest 16. The temp dropped below 20 on 4 days, reached 50 on 4 days, including New Year's Eve. December 1 was the only day to reach 60. Total precip was 2.39," .43" below normal.

In December 2010, the average high was 41, average low almost 25 degrees for a monthly average temp of nearly 33 degrees. Including New Year's Eve, there were three days with an above average temperature. The temperature went below 20 on 7 days, and reached 50 on three days, including tomorrow. December 1 was the only day to reach 60. The highest temperature was 66, the lowest 13. Total precip was 2.20," which is .64" below normal.

While I am looking forward the the chance of big rains, this is what I want for the new year...and if I could see this every year so much the better :) Bring on the new solar minimum, snow pack in Siberia, volcanoes in Iceland and whatever else it might take. Tony

http://vimeo.com/18213768

This is my wish too Tony :wub: It would be nice to have a few years with closer to normal rainfall around here.

I would like to wish the SE CREW(you know who you are) a Happy New Year :wub: :wub: May 2011 be blessed with everything you need :hug:

Not too bright forecast from FFC mentioning ZR in the ATL area tonight- not only are the wet bulbs too high, there is little chance of rain here besides. Thanks to their bad forecast, our tax dollars are being wasted as the DOT is actually sanding bridges around here.

They are tough to figure out sometimes. When it's obvious there is a threat, they go super conservative..when there is really no threat, they are too bullish. There was really never a threat of freezing rain yesterday night since they should have known that at the least temps would rise after the clouds rolled in because there was much warmer air right above the surface and temps/wetbulbs really didn't look low enough to begin with. Funny stuff.

Last of my snow melted yesterday but it took until mid afternoon. Counting sat night, that's 6 days with snow on the ground here. Can't ask for much more than that down here. Sad to see it go though, I hope we get at least one more snow threat but that's probably asking a lot simply because we seen so many of late. Although one has to wonder with the pattern the models are hinting at in the long range.

I think it would be pretty amazing if we go another year without a major ice event. You would think with the blocking/-nao we have seen and will continue to see, it would happen. But certainly hasn't happened yet so one must go with what the pattern has dictated so far and I assume there won't be.

They are tough to figure out sometimes. When it's obvious there is a threat, they go super conservative..when there is really no threat, they are too bullish. There was really never a threat of freezing rain yesterday night since they should have known that at the least temps would rise after the clouds rolled in because there was much warmer air right above the surface and temps/wetbulbs really didn't look low enough to begin with. Funny stuff.

Last of my snow melted yesterday but it took until mid afternoon. Counting sat night, that's 6 days with snow on the ground here. Can't ask for much more than that down here. Sad to see it go though, I hope we get at least one more snow threat but that's probably asking a lot simply because we seen so many of late. Although one has to wonder with the pattern the models are hinting at in the long range.

I think it would be pretty amazing if we go another year without a major ice event. You would think with the blocking/-nao we have seen and will continue to see, it would happen. But certainly hasn't happened yet so one must go with what the pattern has dictated so far and I assume there won't be.

snow is gone here as well. but you cant compain about almost a week of snowcover in december!

i am surprised its now been over 5 years since we had an ice storm. i know many people despise them, but i like all extreme weather (as long as the ice .5 or less, anything more gets too damaging :rambo: )

ice events are fun to track with the temps, dewpoints and moisture. the lack of ice storms here lately is so noticeable that even non-weenies here are talking about it lol. i just hope that the patterns reloads and we get another good month of cold and storms before spring. tracking an ice storm would be sort of fun since technology and wx info has exploded on the net since the last one (and now i have the ability to get online without power through my smart phone :guitar: )

:( i think you are probably top honors with the last of the ga folks to lose their snow. i agree, we need some more and soon!!

Yeah the last of mine melted yesterday... Hopefully some more will come soon! Meanwhile it's a balmy 65 degrees IMBY! :sun: It's nice not to have to put a jacket on for a change! Feels great out there!

I will get some pics of some of the snow piles in the parking lot of work they are 8 ft high and 30 ft across have a feeling they will be around a while. Hopefully long enough to have to add to them :thumbsup: . We still have several inches of snow in the shady spots this evening but yesterday most of the ground was still several inches deep even in spots that got the sun and today well its all gone.

I wont lie the temps today where nice but I will be ready for the cold and snow again by Sunday....

Happy New Year to the SE crew still the best on the boards.......

This is my wish too Tony :wub: It would be nice to have a few years with closer to normal rainfall around here.

I would like to wish the SE CREW(you know who you are) a Happy New Year :wub: :wub: May 2011 be blessed with everything you need :hug:

Happy New Year back!!

While it was the video of 2 feet of snow I was wanting, I guess I should be more far seeing and wish for normals in rain too, lol. Hopefully this weekend. The gfs was showing a storm a longs way back and it seems to be at the door step...just not cold and snow like it showed two weeks ago :)

This is the Damoclese sword hanging over Ga., I'm afraid. The longer it takes to get another city crusher, the worse it will be, I expect. I have pines that need thinning out something fearce. When the big one strikes it will be lights out for a week or more and trees in roads everywhere. I'd prefer several smaller events to do the work, but I'm afraid a big one is looming...it can't be snow every time...can it? Lol. Tony

Archived