joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Spring Snowstorm Obs 3/31-4/1

powderfreak

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad about your gardening plans, Mark. Guess you'll have to put those off for a few more days. :guitar:

32.0F and light snow. The battle between melting and accumulating is fierce.

Quite frankly, I am ready to take a heat gun to my yard and melt all this. I had peas, lettuce and greens in the ground all ready at this time last year. I LOVE a big snow storm and snow pack all winter. At this point, if it is going to snow it needs to be a heavy storm or nothing. This one doesn't cut it. Although it could get interesting for you shortly.

Let it melt! Let it melt! Let it melt!

I spent 2 days laying by the pool in Vegas over the weekend...that was awesome. Off to London India and Hong Kong next week and I'll have some free time to lounge at the pools in Mumbia and Bangalore. Hopefully when I'm back we are in full spring gardening mode!

Mornin'!

Well, it's snowing here. Less than an inch so far but the trees are all whitened and it looks nice out there.

Couple things I liked in the BTV disco this morning:

WITH THE HEAVIEST SNOW FALLING ACROSS EASTERN VERMONT...AND MAINLY ABOVE 1000 FEET.

Check & check.

JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU`VE GOT A HANDLE ON THE WEATHER IN THE NORTHEAST...MOTHER NATURE THROWS YOU A CURVE

BALL...FITTING FOR OPENING DAY OF THE MLB SEASON AS WELL.

Let's go Red Sox, clap-clap, clap-clap-clap. ;)

Beautiful webcam shot, JEB. I've always loved the salt marshes & tidal creeks. While the paternal acres are here in eastern VT, my maternal roots are along the NH Seacoast. I love it here but I miss the salt smells, the salt hay and the tides....

Anyway....as of 7:15AM, 1.0" new and 0.1" LE. Pretty tidy numbers right there.

There was nothing falling at the house at 5:30 A.M. this morning, but by 6:00 A.M. when I was making my CoCoRaHS observations, light snow had started. That snowfall quickly tapered off as I headed west toward the Champlain Valley, and there was nothing here in Burlington but clouds until around 7:30 A.M. when light snow started to fall. Nothing has accumulated here, but the mountains to the east are hidden by a wall of white, and I can see by web cam that it’s snowing and accumulating at the house, with probably a few tenths of an inch down. Winter storm warnings have been dropped west of the western slopes, and the projected snow totals on the Storm Total Snow Forecast have been tapered back a bit more. I’ve added the latest graphics from the BTV NWS below:

01APR11A.jpg

01APR11B.jpg

First flakes drifted down about 1:45 AM - don't think we had any RA here. Maybe 0.5" at 5 AM, when I decided to take a vacation day rather than getting up at that usual time. 1.7" at 7 AM with 0.16" LE, but with continued accum I'd expect that 10.6 ratio to crush down to maybe 9:1. Currently (9:20) a bit over 3.5" with high-end moderate snow just kicking into hvy mode, and 30F. Occasional gusts are shaking some snow from the treetops, which I like though it spoils the prettiness a bit. Better start the wind at 3" than have it kick in with 8-10" on the branches; that breaks things.

GYX snow tool gives Farmington 11.7" for 8 AM on, meaning about 14" storm total, the top end of their 8-14" forecast. I think we'll be a couple inches under that, but well above the 7" I tossed out yesterday for MBY. This event is only minutes away from becoming the biggest April snowfall here for any year not ending in 7 (data 1999-2011.)

First flakes drifted down about 1:45 AM - don't think we had any RA here. Maybe 0.5" at 5 AM, when I decided to take a vacation day rather than getting up at that usual time. 1.7" at 7 AM with 0.16" LE, but with continued accum I'd expect that 10.6 ratio to crush down to maybe 9:1. Currently (9:20) a bit over 3.5" with high-end moderate snow just kicking into hvy mode, and 30F. Occasional gusts are shaking some snow from the treetops, which I like though it spoils the prettiness a bit. Better start the wind at 3" than have it kick in with 8-10" on the branches; that breaks things.

GYX snow tool gives Farmington 11.7" for 8 AM on, meaning about 14" storm total, the top end of their 8-14" forecast. I think we'll be a couple inches under that, but well above the 7" I tossed out yesterday for MBY. This event is only minutes away from becoming the biggest April snowfall here for any year not ending in 7 (data 1999-2011.)

Yes, on the commute my car was getting bombed occasionally by trees releasing their load, which I was happy to see.

Big flakes in PWM, though it appears the backside is nigh.

My earlier report of rain in PWM appears to be erroneous. The flake size just went to hell, that's all. It's still coming down, but doesn't seem to be really accumulating. Gettin' drilled inland, though.

same here on my my side of portland. i have ot call the wife to see what's going on. power out at home and no access to webcam.

Archived