Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NNE Spring Snowstorm Obs 3/31-4/1

powderfreak

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plop-plop here in Hanover. Snowing but wet as all get-out. Falling off the trees, splat, sliding off the roofs, double-splat.

Slush Fest 2011.

I had my wife take a measurement for me at home. 1.5" new since this morning so 2.5" total.

-SN, 10.3" here......

Nice. 100"+ now? :weight_lift:

Plop-plop here in Hanover. Snowing but wet as all get-out. Falling off the trees, splat, sliding off the roofs, double-splat.

Slush Fest 2011.

I had my wife take a measurement for me at home. 1.5" new since this morning so 2.5" total.

Nice. 100"+ now? :weight_lift:

Yes, Thanks, Going to update it.... :snowman:

Always good to get to the triple-digit mark. I see in the tulip thread that there are a few in SNE that are tantalizingly close. Maybe the same thing will happen to the Yankees this year. Almost, but not quite. ;)

Yes, I saw that as well, There will probably be some dissapointment down there especially after the great start they had, Agrre on the yankees, They will be looking up at the Sox, Can't wait until 4 today, It begins..

1 PM total was 12", got that called in to GYX just in time to have it included with their latest obs list. Recorded 10.0" from 7A-1P, with 0.92" LE. (The bucket caught only 0.8", but it also had 3-4" on the rim at one point, probably keeping some flakes from getting for the meltdown. A spot on the Tonneau swept at 10 had 5.5" at noon, heaviest snowfall rates here since 2/23/09, and plenty sufficient to cut off our satellite TV reception. Since 1 the snow has averaged high-moderate, with occasional +SN spurts. Wind still cascading snow out of the trees, but they also still look pretty full. Couple of power blinks, but no worse (yet.) First real overperformer this season, and I'm loving it. About 2" from triple digits as I type - should be close.

Twelve for tamarack! Maine's cleaning house today.

Closing in on 4" of sugar snow. Still snowing at a moderate clip.

Yeah, there's a webcam in Washington, VT about three crow miles from my place (and a couple hundrred feet higher which can make a difference sometimes) looks to be showing about 4-5" on their deck railing.

That one band is being pretty persistent over VT right now. Wish that had come through overnight....

post-2284-0-40517600-1301683810.jpg

Twelve for tamarack! Maine's cleaning house today.

Yeah, there's a webcam in Washington, VT about three crow miles from my place (and a couple hundrred feet higher which can make a difference sometimes) looks to be showing about 4-5" on their deck railing.

That one band is being pretty persistent over VT right now. Wish that had come through overnight....

Never knew there was a webcam in Hart Hollow, in fact I would have been skeptical that they had the web up there!

Never knew there was a webcam in Hart Hollow, in fact I would have been skeptical that they had the web up there!

Huh, that's a good point and I never thought of that. The cam updates every few minutes so they must have a good internet connection. I'm not sure who covers that area. Believe it or not, we have high-speed in Corinth through our little local telephone company, Topsham Telephone. People are always amazed that little ol' Corinth has high-speed, lol.

Maybe Tops-Tele is in Washington too....

BTV links to Hart Hollow on their cam page or you can just go direct:

http://harthollow.com/html/garage_web_cam.html

http://harthollow.com/html/web_cam__2.html

Huh, that's a good point and I never thought of that. The cam updates every few minutes so they must have a good internet connection. I'm not sure who covers that area. Believe it or not, we have high-speed in Corinth through our little local telephone company, Topsham Telephone. People are always amazed that little ol' Corinth has high-speed, lol.

Maybe Tops-Tele is in Washington too....

BTV links to Hart Hollow on their cam page or you can just go direct:

http://harthollow.co...ge_web_cam.html

http://harthollow.co...web_cam__2.html

25 years ago my dad and I installed a heating system in one of the Topsham Telephone buildings. I remember crawling through the attic on an 85F day. That was the last summer I worked for my dad!

Oh yeah, we just had what seemed to be the heaviest snow of the day, closing in on 5".

Not much happening in Hanover but the radar and cams are still showing persistent snows just pivoting over VT. Can't wait to get the hell out of work and see what's going on at home.

25 years ago my dad and I installed a heating system in one of the Topsham Telephone buildings. I remember crawling through the attic on an 85F day. That was the last summer I worked for my dad!

Oh yeah, we just had what seemed to be the heaviest snow of the day, closing in on 5".

5"--not too shabby at all, all things considered. And an attic on an 85 degree sounds like a barrel of laughs. :arrowhead:

8.8" of snow here today. Brought my season total to over 100". Intensity of snowfall was awesome, with visibility at times around 1/16m. Tainted for a while with sleet/snow mix, which kept total down.

Here is a HD video from this morning when we were crossing the Carlton Bridge between Woolwich and Bath. Click the picture to view the video on my smugmug site. Broadband recommended.

1236042570_vNKki-M.jpg

8.8" of snow here today. Brought my season total to over 100". Intensity of snowfall was awesome, with visibility at times around 1/16m. Tainted for a while with sleet/snow mix, which kept total down.

Here is a HD video from this morning when we were crossing the Carlton Bridge between Woolwich and Bath. Click the picture to view the video on my smugmug site. Broadband recommended.

1236042570_vNKki-M.jpg

Hvy hvy there and slow going.

I measured 8.7", though it was certainly higher than that due to compaction and melting. Maybe I'll just mark it down as 11.1"

:whistle:

Hvy hvy there and slow going.

I measured 8.7", though it was certainly higher than that due to compaction and melting. Maybe I'll just mark it down as 11.1"

:whistle:

That's what happened to me, measured after compaction. I just put what I measured, figured it's nearly impossible to figure out what it must have been before compaction.

Had another 2.5" between 1 and 4:30, 7:1 snow, so I suspect there was some compacting before I measured. That puts me up to 14.5", with a current dusting from continuing -SN. Evil stuff to snowblow - could only run at the lowest speed. Any faster and the snow just rolled up ahead of the blades. And once moved, the snow packed such as to require a climbover (or the tires dug holes in the driveway gravel.) Current season total at 99.4" - will probably not update 'till Sunday, as I want to have the final total for this event and I'm out of the house 4A-9/10P tomorrow (conference in CON.)

And an attic on an 85 degree sounds like a barrel of laughs. :arrowhead:

The day I chose to insulate the attic in our first home in Ft.Kent, 5/22/77, was also the day that CAR had the hottest reported temp in the US, my favorite "man bites dog" story in wx. Their 96 tied the all time record for the station and beat Phoenix by 1F. Fortunately, I was done by about 11:30 AM, but by then it was near 90 outside and perhaps 140 inside.

I would say we had around 7 inches here. Maybe a little more before compaction. It has slowed to very light snow in just the past hour.

I was able to make it out to a corner of the back yard where I hadn't gotten to all winter and found 20 inches was still on the ground in a large area. All in all a pretty good base where humans and canines did not tramp down the snow.

Here are a couple of pictures from around 7ish this evening. I like how in the picture with my dog you can see the pile of snow off my neighbor's roof are still as high as the first floor roof.

post-1533-0-09996800-1301705163.jpg

post-1533-0-68318800-1301705188.jpg

post-1533-0-23721600-1301705209.jpg

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.17” L.E.

Friday 4/1/2011 6:00 P.M. update: It seemed to snow most of the day in Burlington, a very wet snow that was flirting with being rain at times; temperatures were too warm for any of it to accumulate however. I watched the weather at the house via web cam, and after the initial 0.3 inches that accumulated this morning, temperatures at this altitude/longitude got too warm during the day for anything else to build up. From what I could tell the snow continued to fall all day as it did in Burlington, but the initial accumulation melted. At 6:00 P.M. I found 0.17” of liquid in the rain gauge, and non-accumulating snowfall continued.

In the higher elevations around here the snow accumulated at least a bit better, but even there the accumulation seemed to be a struggle the farther north and west one went. I’ve added the north to south list of accumulations for Vermont resorts that have made afternoon and evening updates for this event; the accumulation at Burke really stands out, presumably due to its eastern location:

Burke: 16”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 2”

Mad River Glen: 2”

Sugarbush: 1”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Magic Mountain: 6”

Stratton: 7”

Mount Snow: 3”

The non-accumulating snowfall continued here into the evening, but at some point after 8:00 P.M. the temperature appears to have dropped to a point that is permitting accumulation down at this elevation. It’s been snowing pretty nicely at times with some larger flakes above ½” in diameter, and as of 10:00 P.M. there’s another 0.6” of snow on the snowboard.

Some details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations are below:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.17 inches

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.0 inches

I would say we had around 7 inches here. Maybe a little more before compaction. It has slowed to very light snow in just the past hour.

I was able to make it out to a corner of the back yard where I hadn't gotten to all winter and found 20 inches was still on the ground in a large area. All in all a pretty good base where humans and canines did not tramp down the snow.

Here are a couple of pictures from around 7ish this evening. I like how in the picture with my dog you can see the pile of snow off my neighbor's roof are still as high as the first floor roof.

These pictures are gorgeous, love the red farmhouse, very typical of Vermont. Nicely done, and what a snowpack you have!

Pretty sweet snowfall for you guys further east... nice pics and video on the last couple pages. There's a pretty tight gradient nearby with mreaves at 6" and klm at 7". Also Burke at 16"! We got nothing today (coating, maybe half inch on previous snow, cold and light surfaces) down in town as it was just too warm. It snowed all day long, pretty much non-stop, but -SN this time of year during the daylight hours does not cut it. Visibility just couldn't get down past 3/4ths of a mile, and seemed to mostly be in the 1--2 mile visibility range.

I was mainly at 950ft during the day and we'd get a coating during these 15-minute bursts, then it would slack off again and the coating melts before the next burst replenishes. I bet if you measured after every burst, you may have come up with 2" instead of only a half inch... today's snow would've flown a couple months ago, but certainly not on April 1. Aside from the general lack of just slightly heavier precip rates, temperatures hovered around 34F even at 1,000ft. I know it was mostly 32-33F at 1,500ft but still slightly above freezing for the meat of the day. From 3,000ft and up temperatures remained solidly in the mid 20s all day and accumulations were a drier 2.75" at 4pm.

Event totals: 1.3” Snow/0.27” L.E.

Saturday 4/2/2011 6:00 A.M. update: We picked up an inch of 10% H2O snow overnight, and for the VT resorts that have updated their snowfall this morning, I’ve got the north to south list of storm totals below:

Jay Peak: 6”

Smuggler’s Notch: 4”

Stowe: 6”

Bolton Valley: 6”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 3”

Killington: 6”

Okemo: 5”

Magic Mountain: 6”

Stratton: 8”

Mount Snow: 3”

Some details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations are below: