Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 27 SpringBlizzard Discussion

Ji

it probably is dc area and north at least

the dt fantasy storm might produce some backlash with a stacked low just east. n and e would still be favored.. and it's 400 million days off.

Well the 850s and 2m temps would support it... in fact 2m temps would imply 20s :lol: But yeah, I know i am reading too far into it and its WAY off. But just think if we ended up getting a SECS... i would not be well liked at work :arrowhead:

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the 850s and 2m temps would support it... in fact 2m temps would imply 20s :lol: But yeah, I know i am reading too far into it and its WAY off. But just think if we ended up getting a SECS... i would not be well liked at work :arrowhead:

verbatim it's like 1-3" probably .. if it was that cold at the surface which is doubtful at game time. h5 is still north of what we'd want too. it will trend north a bit if it's real imo.

verbatim it's like 1-3" probably .. if it was that cold at the surface which is doubtful at game time. h5 is still north of what we'd want too. it will trend north a bit if it's real imo.

true h5 is not where we would like it.. but it seems there would be a good amount of QPF for more than 1-3. 24 hr QPF to 192 had at least .25

6z GFS says congrats CHO and EZF. But timing of it sucks...Sunday afternoon. Much more believable to get snow during darkness at this time of year. Has afternoon high temps at or below freezing for the big cities on Sunday. More snow for VA with the Tuesday storm!:arrowhead:

6z GFS says congrats CHO and EZF. But timing of it sucks...Sunday afternoon. Much more believable to get snow during darkness at this time of year. Has afternoon high temps at or below freezing for the big cities on Sunday. More snow for VA with the Tuesday storm!:arrowhead:

There has never been a subfreezing high later than March 24th at DCA and March 18th at IAD. Just for perspective.

There has never been a subfreezing high later than March 24th at DCA and March 18th at IAD. Just for perspective.

Looking at the record cold maxes IAD has seen a 35F on 3/24/71 and that was under -10.1C H85 temps.

The amazing 7.6" at 18:1 ratios from 3/30/64 - 3/31/64 fell with H85 at -11.2C at 0Z on the 30th, -14.9C at 12Z on the 31st and -9.3C at 0Z on 4/1. The recorded highs were 37F and 39F.

The coldest April high ever, 38F, resulted from a 12Z H85 temp of -10.1.

It's gonna take a lot to make the GFS's 18Z temp of 29F verify with a 12Z H85 starting point of -7.8C. The EC's 36F under -10C u/l is probably more realistic.

Still waiting for the maps/models to show the warm-up that will stick. Any warm-up at this point would be fine. One day warm followed by six days cool/cold is a crappy pattern for this time of year.

spring has not been that bad so far tempwise. as others have noted we dont generally have solidly warm springs. still, 100 billion times better than spring in boston. ;)

spring has not been that bad so far tempwise. as others have noted we dont generally have solidly warm springs. still, 100 billion times better than spring in boston. ;)

It hasn't been great either (altho, yes, it's not as bad as the NE). We touch 70, and then get days of wind and much cooler temps. I am probably more annoyed because it seems to be warmest on Fridays with corrections on the weekend when I might enjoy it. And it if ticks as cold as it is showing for the next week (setting aside whether it will snow or not), it certainly won't change my perception of this start of this spring. This late in March almost to April, I start to yearn for a series of days in the 60s or near 70, and we have not really had a stretch (over a period of days) of warm weather anywhere close to that yet.

This is the one time of the year I miss Memphis weather. The springs in western TN are prolonged and glorious. Course, they pay for that starting right around June 1 with a summer of oppressive humidity laden heat. I don't miss that.

ETA: Just double checked my memory with the actual highs at BWI for the last few months, here is February:

http://www.wundergro...y.html#calendar

A 74 on Friday Feb. 18 followed by a sharply colder weekend and a 67 on Friday Feb. 25 followed by a sharply colder weekend.

And here is March:

http://www.wundergro...y.html#calendar

Still no sequence of days in the 60s to speak of. This past weekend was 81 on Friday (again on a Friday) followed by 67 and then 50 for highs.

Just noting we have not really hit a stretch where a SE ridge has set up and given us consistent warmth. Maybe after this next 7-day period we will finally get some of that. I am ready for it.

Last Spring had +5 departures on average for March, April, May. Loved it, but storms were scarce which sucked.

Yeah, the lack of stormy weather was a bit of a downside to that extra warmth. And another downside was spring flowers burned off faster.

We certain'y are not +5 for March to date at any rate. I have not looked, but figure we are running slightly below normal to date, at least at BWI.

ETA: Actually, glancing at the temp graph it appears BWI may be slightly above average for the month so far. So, colder than last year, certainly, but not overly cold historically.

http://www.accuweather.com/us/md/baltimore/21201/forecast-month.asp?view=table

Yeah, the lack of stormy weather was a bit of a downside to that extra warmth. And another downside was spring flowers burned off faster.

We certain'y are not +5 for March to date at any rate. I have not looked, but figure we are running slightly below normal to date, at least at BWI.

ETA: Actually, glancing at the temp graph it appears BWI may be slightly above average for the month so far. So, colder than last year, certainly, but not overly cold historically.

http://www.accuweath....asp?view=table

March is +4.0 right now at BWI. Way above normal. It will come down some later this week, but it is still going to end up a warm month.

http://www.accuweath....asp?view=table

Actually, this March at BWI has been very similar to last March with overall temperature departures and precipitation. Last March finished with a +4.8 departure and this March (so far) is a +4.0 departure (though this will probably fall a bit now once the cold spell comes later in the week).

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/bwi/bwi0310.txt

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/lwx/climate/bwi/bwi0311.txt

March is +4.0 right now at BWI. Way above normal. It will come down some later this week, but it is still going to end up a warm month.

If the progs verify for Thursday (this week) through the end of the month, that would take a big hit. It would take the last 8 days of the month (starting Thursday) to average 11°F below normal to erase that +4 departure. That's a tall order, but not completely out of the realm of possibility if the progs verify.

what? you dont like snow at the end of MArch/early April? Back door cold fronts thru the end of May with temps in the 40's for highs with overcast skies and drizzle? You are nuts :scooter:

again, you gotta lol at the GFS and two potential events the last week of March. Neither will pan out, but it would be nice to end this miserable winter.

If this wasn't the last week of March, this thread would probably have 30+ pages already. There's a lot to like about the next 7-10 days (-NAO, 50/50 low, cold air, active southern storm track). Unfortunately it is the last week of March...still I think there's a good chance that most of the area north of DC at least sees some flakes in the next week even if nothing accumulates.

GFS for JYO(leesburg) is below 0 at 850 the entire 1st storm with .60 qpf. Surface below freezing for entire event

SAT 12Z 26-MAR -1.7 -4.2 1018 74 96 0.01 553 539

SAT 18Z 26-MAR -0.3 -2.4 1015 92 99 0.19 553 541

SUN 00Z 27-MAR -0.7 -1.2 1014 98 93 0.12 554 542

SUN 06Z 27-MAR -1.1 -0.6 1011 98 95 0.03 553 545

SUN 12Z 27-MAR -1.3 0.8 1011 98 95 0.26 553 544

SUN 18Z 27-MAR 0.6 -1.2 1013 100 71 0.03 552 542

I like 13-15z ;)

If I can add my millimeter fractions correctly, looks about 4-6mm for most of northern MD/NVA/WV panhandle. So, that's around ~0.2" of QPF...not very much. Also since it's coming in the daytime predominately...would be tough to accumulate all of that. A point in our favor is that 850 temps would be plenty cold (-3 - -6C).

GFS is >0.5" of QPF for this storm. FYI for comparison.

Archived