Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Japan Nuclear Crisis Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mother of god, the speculation that goes on is ridiculous. Let us just let those who know this stuff speculate ..... PLEASE!!!!!!!!

This thread is an invaluable aggregation of breaking news, much of it of very solid quality. People will naturally speculate, but it is a discussion board. The few people who really "know this stuff" are on the ground in Japan, and they're not logging onto American to share their insights. On the whole, this thread is A-list material with well-behaved contributors.

You guys need to chill and cut out the argueing and smartass remarks.

The policing and "telling people what to doism" of this forum should be left up to you, and other moderators and admins.

That's the problem... people DO care about inane crap like that, because they're hearing bad information and spreading it around. It doesn't matter where it's coming from. I'm pointing it out on here because I'm tired of reading it... but I certainly don't expect it to help anything. As I said, it's more of a venting of frustration for me than anything else.

Go vent to your dog, or maybe your wall.

Let's cut the back and forth arguing over petty crap on all sides.

Read above.

This thread is an invaluable aggregation of breaking news, much of it of very solid quality. People will naturally speculate, but it is a discussion board. The few people who really "know this stuff" are on the ground in Japan, and they're not logging onto American to share their insights. On the whole, this thread is A-list material with well-behaved contributors.

Basically true, but the back and forth that goes on is growing tiresome. And this has been my go-to source during this. I see things brought up here several minutes or hours before the general news broadcasts them, that is true.

Gotcha. So "just pointing it out" wouldn't have elicited a reaction any less full of vitriol, after all. You're just mad 'cause you don't like being called out.

I made a mistake in typing there's nothing to be called out over, I'm simply asking for you not to be a bore when people make mistakes. Accusing someone of contributing to some type of hysteria because they made a mistake in typing is inane, idiotic and uncalled for here. That's all. A ton of great information has been posted here and some of it is inaccurate even from the source. We don't need you running around and telling us over and over again what we already know. This isn't the Reuters newswire....we're all capable of picking through what's posted without having to read you telling us ten times a day we're speculating blah blah.

--

A little OT, but MSNBC has an article up about the most vulnerable reactors to earthquakes in the US. Mine makes it in at #2, NY #1

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42103936/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

I apologize to everyone for my involvement... I'm in a crappy mood today and chose the wrong way to vent.

it's not just you. i think we should realize there is still a bad flow of info but try to deal with it the best we can. pages of arguments of small stuff doesnt make it all that much easier to figure out. clarifications are good when possible of course.

The policing and "telling people what to doism" of this forum should be left up to you, and other moderators and admins.

Go vent to your dog, or maybe your wall.

Read above.

It's getting tiresome and more folks are going to start getting 5 posted if it doesn't stop, some already have been. Comments like above don't help either.

I made a mistake in typing there's nothing to be called out over, I'm simply asking for you not to be a bore when people make mistakes. Accusing someone of contributing to some type of hysteria because they made a mistake in typing is inane, idiotic and uncalled for here. That's all. A ton of great information has been posted here and some of it is inaccurate even from the source. We don't need you running around and telling us over and over again what we already know. This isn't the Reuters newswire....we're all capable of picking through what's posted without having to read you telling us ten times a day we're speculating blah blah.

--

A little OT, but MSNBC has an article up about the most vulnerable reactors to earthquakes in the US. Mine makes it in at #2, NY #1

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42103936/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

Let this be the end of this disagreement. Future posts argueing back and forth are going to be deleted.

it's not just you. i think we should realize there is still a bad flow of info but try to deal with it the best we can. pages of arguments of small stuff doesnt make it all that much easier to figure out. clarifications are good when possible of course.

Right, but I certainly went over the line in trying to "correct" people. As has been said, I should have simply asked for clarification... this thread does have a lot of good info. :)

I apologize to everyone for my involvement... I'm in a crappy mood today and chose the wrong way to vent.

Don't worry about it, Everyone has those sorts of days from time to time. We just need to take it down a few notches, otherwise you guys are providing some interesting (and appreciated) info. :)

Ok, I know it's not funny, but I cracked up when I saw that they had made blown up reactor models for discussing the situation on NHK.

It's actually a pretty neat discussion on NHK world if you have the ability to pull it up.

Do you mean ENLARGED replica's of the reactors for demonstration purposes? Or replicas which show the damage from the previous explosions?

NHK is too slow to load for me.

Do you mean ENLARGED replica's of the reactors for demonstration purposes? Or replicas which show the damage from the previous explosions?

NHK is too slow to load for me.

They have a built a model replica of the plant complete with the actual observed damage of the reactors...it's sitting on the table with the anchor and 2 experts and they're using it to describe the situation. The whole presentation has been by far the best explanation of everything that has gone on that I have seen. Given how NHK world broadcasts I'd assume they'll replay it quite a bit.

Again I'm just speculating but it's hard not to think that there there is much more info being passed along.

Russkies were bailing as well.

I'm not sure there is much worse information that could be passed along. I mean with what we know it's really, really bad. They're basically down to squirting at it from long range with a glorified water hose, that says it all.

Alternate link for NHK world:

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream3&hpt=T1

They have a built a model replica of the plant complete with the actual observed damage of the reactors...it's sitting on the table with the anchor and 2 experts and they're using it to describe the situation. The whole presentation has been by far the best explanation of everything that has gone on that I have seen. Given how NHK world broadcasts I'd assume they'll replay it quite a bit.

the damaged reactor models are impressive.

very precise people.

the damaged reactor models are impressive.

very precise people.

Yeah the history part of this....special program or whatever it is was better than the discussion. They seem to be trying to make sure they don't say anything too alarming. I hope there was a botched translation when the guy said we're trying to prevent this from being as bad as TMI, because that ship sailed some time ago.

I'm not sure there is much worse information that could be passed along. I mean with what we know it's really, really bad. They're basically down to squirting at it from long range with a glorified water hose, that says it all.

Alternate link for NHK world:

http://www.cnn.com/v...=stream3&hpt=T1

This was from yesterday. Not surprisingly based on the events over the last 12 hours things have changed.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/p/tp-20110316-01.html

A Message to American Citizens from Ambassador John V. Roos

March 16, 2011

Today our hearts remain with our Japanese friends who, after suffering this devastating tragedy just four days ago, have to undertake recovery and reconstruction and address the ongoing nuclear emergency.

We understand that many of you are anxious and have questions in the shadow of the Fukushima emergency, since we are in the midst of a complex, constantly changing, and unpredictable situation. In this fluid situation, our commitment to our citizens is to accumulate accurate information and assess it sufficiently in order to make important judgments.

Since the first reports of trouble with the reactors, American nuclear experts have worked around the clock to analyze data, monitor developments, and provide clear assessments on the potential dangers. While at times we have had only limited access to information, I am personally committed to assuring that our experts have as much access and information as possible, and the necessary resources to understand the situation. I have personally been deeply engaged in these efforts.

After a careful analysis of data, radiation levels, and damage assessments of all units at Fukushima, our experts are in agreement with the response and measures taken by Japanese technicians, including their recommended 20 km radius for evacuation and additional shelter-in-place recommendations out to 30 km.

Let me also address reports of very low levels of radiation outside the evacuation area detected by U.S. and Japanese sensitive instrumentation. This bears very careful monitoring, which we are doing. If we assess that the radiation poses a threat to public health, we will share that information and provide relevant guidance immediately.

The United States will continue to work around the clock to provide precise and up-to-date information supported by expert analysis to ensure the safety and security of our citizens and to help Japan in its time of great need. U.S. citizens in need of emergency assistance should send an e-mail to [email protected] with detailed information about their location and contact information, and monitor the U.S. Department of State website at travel.state.gov.

Archived