Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Japan Nuclear Crisis Part II

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1525: The EU's energy chief Guenther Oettinger has said that in the coming hours "there could be further catastrophic events, which could pose a threat to the lives of people on the island". He told the European Parliament the Fukushima nuclear site was "effectively out of control". "The cooling systems did not work, and as a result we are somewhere between a disaster and a major disaster."

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

It is sort of insulting in my opinion for us to assume we have all the answers and the Japanese are not doing everything humanly possible to avert catastrophe.

It took FIVE YEARS to determine the full extent of what had happened at Three Mile Island. NOBODY knows right now, in a week or in a month exactly what has happened including the Japanese. You could go stick a head in the reactor and get your answer and probably be dead a few minutes later. That's a big part of the problem in all of these cases....it's nobody's fault there's just no way of knowing.

here is the impression i am getting..maybe it's japanese culture....

in the west when he have 50% of the facts..we fill in the blanks with process of elimination or eduacated guesses and report it..in Japan they seem to hold off on any news until they have 100% of the facts or 100% confirmed....they may be more precise but slower with their reporting

See above.

Dr. Michio Kaku is a modern day Einstein. He's done a great deal of research on nuclear physics and has written several books on physics and nuclear physics. He could go toe to toe with Stephen Hawking quite easily. He also has very far left wing opinions... both must be taken into consideration while determining this man's opinion regarding the current problem at the reactor.

I've tried reading his books on a couple of occassions... couldn't make heads or tails out of them.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Michio_Kaku

What is the most alarming to me is that first we were dealing with problems from reactor #1, then #3, then #2, then #4 and now we have temperatures rising in #5 and #6, which were precursors to problems in #1 and #3. Follow your thoughts to the conclusion of this whole scenario.. how long can they keep pumping seawater into these plants for? The seawater is having corrosive effects on the metal alloys of the actual containment units themselves... yeah, they can survive a 747 but how about a week's worth of corrosive seawater? Or two weeks?

I found this paper done on the corrosive effects of seawater on alloys. It's an interesting read...

http://docs.google.c...O_McgfKOA&pli=1

Not to derail the thread any more than it has been from time to time but are the Mark II's any "better" than the Mark I that some of the older plants and this plant in Japan feature?

If they're using water cannons to try to cool nuke reactors...the words of Edano probably ring true in that there's no guarantee this will be succussful longterm.

This is the kind of bad info that gets people all riled up.

3000msv near the perimeter? So people near the plant will die with an hour's dose?

No. I'm assuming you mean 3000μsv, which would make you off by a factor of 1,000.

Instead of being a douche, why not just make the correction? I mistyped, no need to be an ahole and thump your chest...just make the correction and move on.

Instead of being a douche, why not just make the correction? I mistyped, no need to be an ahole and thump your chest...just make the correction and move on.

Or maybe I don't know what the error is and am making an assumption that it's merely a mix-up between milli- and micro-. I can't "correct" you if I don't know what the correct info is.

My point is that if you're going to post information like that, make sure it's accurate. There's already enough misinformation being spread around... that kind of error only serves to fuel that epidemic.

1. 1545: The Pentagon has announced that US forces must stay 50 miles (80km) away from the Fukushima reactor unless they have specific authorisation, Reuters reports.

what about americans living.,working in Japan...sounds like what ever is happening its not good,,where is the state department and its advice the french and russians are already bailing? and now so is the us military

What would be the educated speculation on what he could be referring to?

I'm guessing the radiation levels are getting so high that options available become limited to remote cooling/containment....without workers on site, it seems that all 4 reactor facilities would become out of control.....but just an educated guess in the thinking....

tweet listening to the presser still ongoing

why have I not learned anything new after 1 hour? oh a police water spray car has arrived. man oh man.

pool no 4, not possible to check waterlevel

Pools 5 and 6 60C

That's good if 5 and 6 are 60 C, means they got them cooled down.

This is PURELY a guess from what I've been reading the past few days.

But, yesterday they cancelled the idea of dumping water from choppers into the storage pools due to that possibly causing even more critical conditions. (knocking spent fuel out of the racks which keep them separate.

And last night one of the talking heads nuclear guys stated that between the age of the reactors, corrosion, weakening due to overheating and so on, that it's likely the containment metal is seriously fatigued.

The IAEA may not like the sound now, of a water CANNON, impacting what may be at a tipping point already.

But, the things need water, they need it fast, and options are running out, so this may be a "I hope this works and doesn't backfire" kind of moment.

As I said, the above is simply my thoughts based on decisions and statements previously released by the Gov't and Tepco

I honestly think the French minister is overreacting.and is not helping the situation. It would appear that unless fire on either of the spent fuel stockpiles reignites and cannot be brought under control there is little chance large amounts of radiation release into the atmosphere.

what about americans living.,working in Japan...sounds like what ever is happening its not good,,where is the state department and its advice the french and russians are already bailing? and now so is the us military

Eh, I don't read it that way. Simply that the military is to stay a safe 50 miles away, until Japan decides to bring them in to help.

I suspect if Tepco can get things to start cooling, they'll allow them in to assist in keeping the site cool.

Honestly I'm not sure. All depends on what he considers 'catastrophic' if he really did say that. I'm not sure anyone outside of TEPCO knows what the entire situation is and only in the last 12 to 24 hours have they probably been passing along more and more info as it started deteriorating rapidly. I'm assuming that as governments and others get more and more credible information they quickly begin realizing how bad it really as and start speculating on what is going to happen.

All assumption on my part.

I honestly think the French minister is overreacting.and is not helping the situation. It would appear that unless fire on either of the spent fuel stockpiles reignites and cannot be brought under control there is little chance large amounts of radiation release into the atmosphere.

???????

U.S. to fly spy plane over Fukushima nuclear plant for closer look

TOKYO, March 17, Kyodo

The U.S. military will operate a Global Hawk unmanned high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft over a stricken nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture, possibly on Thursday, to take a closer look at its troubled reactors, a Japanese government source said Wednesday.

Photographs taken by the plane equipped with infrared sensors could provide a useful clue to what is occurring inside the reactor buildings, around which high-level radiation has been detected.

The planned mission comes as the Japanese government appears unable to contain the crisis days after the coastal nuclear plant was struck by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami.

It would represent a deepening of Japanese-U.S. cooperation in coping with the escalating crisis, with the U.S. military having already provided logistical transportation, and search and rescue efforts in the wake of the disaster that hit northeastern Japan.

Why do these European ministers seem to act like they know more than the rest of the world? I wonder if this is just standard anti-nuke bias at play here.

Maybe, but it is my understanding that France uses more nuclear energy than anyone in the world, except for perhaps the U.S. So, it seems hard to say that the French would have an anti-nuke agenda.

Eh, I don't read it that way. Simply that the military is to stay a safe 50 miles away, until Japan decides to bring them in to help.

I suspect if Tepco can get things to start cooling, they'll allow them in to assist in keeping the site cool.

um they are already providing search and recsue operations in the region

more tweets about presser that just endded

They kept on saying "ummm,,suimasen. we're not sure...we'll confirm it."

Why do these European ministers seem to act like they know more than the rest of the world? I wonder if this is just standard anti-nuke bias at play here.

the french are anti nuke?

U.S. to fly spy plane over Fukushima nuclear plant for closer look

It would represent a deepening of Japanese-U.S. cooperation in coping with the escalating crisis, with the U.S. military having already provided logistical transportation, and search and rescue efforts in the wake of the disaster that hit northeastern Japan.

global hawk was helping with general imaging already.. im not sure it represents any specific deepening of cooperation in this instance. we were very quick to provide a lot of support.

Archived