• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    christians
    Newest Member
    christians
Japan Nuclear Crisis Part II

I honestly think the French minister is overreacting.and is not helping the situation. It would appear that unless fire on either of the spent fuel stockpiles reignites and cannot be brought under control there is little chance large amounts of radiation release into the atmosphere.

One of the things to keep in mind here is that France makes reactors, and perhaps the Japanese didn't buy from the French. When someone is making a big noise regarding a disaster, it is always important to try to look at previous connections. just sayin'.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

um they are already providing search and recsue operations in the region

more tweets about presser that just endded

They kept on saying "ummm,,suimasen. we're not sure...we'll confirm it."

There is your answer (from your earlier question/comment.)

They won't make a statement on this crisis unless they are SURE about it.

U.S. to fly spy plane over Fukushima nuclear plant for closer look

TOKYO, March 17, Kyodo

The U.S. military will operate a Global Hawk unmanned high-altitude reconnaissance aircraft over a stricken nuclear power plant in Fukushima Prefecture, possibly on Thursday, to take a closer look at its troubled reactors, a Japanese government source said Wednesday.

Photographs taken by the plane equipped with infrared sensors could provide a useful clue to what is occurring inside the reactor buildings, around which high-level radiation has been detected.

The planned mission comes as the Japanese government appears unable to contain the crisis days after the coastal nuclear plant was struck by a magnitude 9.0 earthquake and tsunami.

It would represent a deepening of Japanese-U.S. cooperation in coping with the escalating crisis, with the U.S. military having already provided logistical transportation, and search and rescue efforts in the wake of the disaster that hit northeastern Japan.

I am sure we already have positioned sats to scan the plant.....hawk would likely be more detailed? Phin might know....

I am sure we already have positioned sats to scan the plant.....hawk would likely be more detailed? Phin might know....

global hawk has more advanced imaging than a single satellite. aperture radar, infrared, etc. it's probably been in the air for days checking out earthquake impacts more generally.

I would say we have new info already if the pentagon is tellling no US forces within 50 miles...there was no such announcement yesterday and thats much further then the 30km zone japan put up

Quick clarification on the comments by the EU energy minister.

http://uk.reuters.co...E72F5MO20110316

When asked, his spokeswoman said his prediction of a catastrophe in the hours ahead was not based on any specific privileged information.

Which translates as follows:

"Gomen nasai"

We are desperately trying not to alarm 40 million people to the south of the crisis region. Please take back your statement.

arigatai

It is far cheaper and simpler to use UAVs in this case since there is no need to be covert. Getting DoD satellite time is tough.

We can track radiation in space......so Sats might prove useful for determining contaminated areas. That is more my thinking...not so much for pics....

No doubt UAV's are more cost effective and quick to utilize.

I am just think....we know a lot more about the radiation levels and travels....

All of our APAC operations have been canceled indefinitely. Our workers are trying to get flights out now. None in Japan....but everything from Singapore to Shanghai have been canceled. There might be an emergency deployment in Hong Kong for expand regional conference bridges and web collaboration. This is for a global bank.

We do not know why because some of these places are far away from japan.....and winds. Our hunch is they are preparing for having to deal with Tokyo operations being put into a DR mode.....hence Hong Kong hosting to be expanded.

crazy that is likely going to delay 300k+ from the current Q........economic impact expands.....

This is PURELY a guess from what I've been reading the past few days.

But, yesterday they cancelled the idea of dumping water from choppers into the storage pools due to that possibly causing even more critical conditions. (knocking spent fuel out of the racks which keep them separate.

And last night one of the talking heads nuclear guys stated that between the age of the reactors, corrosion, weakening due to overheating and so on, that it's likely the containment metal is seriously fatigued.

The IAEA may not like the sound now, of a water CANNON, impacting what may be at a tipping point already.

But, the things need water, they need it fast, and options are running out, so this may be a "I hope this works and doesn't backfire" kind of moment.

As I said, the above is simply my thoughts based on decisions and statements previously released by the Gov't and Tepco

They need water......build a containment berm around these things and submerge them....I mean hell why not......everything else seems to have failed....

Or maybe I don't know what the error is and am making an assumption that it's merely a mix-up between milli- and micro-. I can't "correct" you if I don't know what the correct info is.

My point is that if you're going to post information like that, make sure it's accurate. There's already enough misinformation being spread around... that kind of error only serves to fuel that epidemic.

I was typing on a phone, hit the m instead of the u. I've made one mistake in typing in a lot of posts....simply pointing it out would have been fine.

--

I think there's a big misconception on how fast these reactors "cool" down. It will take another year for the rods to drop to the point where they are putting out significantly less energy than they are today. Reactors 2 and 3 had a higher capacity.

"If the decay heat is not removed then the reactor fuel begins to heat up and undesirable consequences begin as the temperature rises such as rapid oxidation of the zircaloy cladding (~1200C), melting of the cladding (~1850C), and then the fuel (~2400-2860C)."

Great updated from MIT here:

http://mitnse.com/

I was typing on a phone, hit the m instead of the u. I've made one mistake in typing in a lot of posts....simply pointing it out would have been fine.

Again, I had no idea that that was your mistake... it was just a guess on my part. So I was "simply pointing it out" to the best of my ability. The ranting about all the misinformation and speculation in the thread was secondary.

(By the way, the symbol for micro isn't a "u", just FYI... it's a Greek mu, μ)

Will you just shut up already? Life is all about speculation, and it's not like he's going and stating what he's saying like it's a fact on CNN or MSNBC. What's it matter? Jesus...

No.

It matters because people then take that speculation and spread it around, like a chain email. I know because I've heard some of the same speculation that's posted in this thread at work ("what if the jet stream brings radiation to the west coast, will we all die?", etc). And that's annoying.

Unfortunately it's not going to stop, so there's really no use in pointing it out. It's more a venting of frustration than anything for me.

Again, I had no idea that that was your mistake... it was just a guess on my part. So I was "simply pointing it out". The ranting about all the misinformation and speculation in the thread was secondary.

(By the way, the symbol for micro isn't a "u", just FYI... it's a Greek mu, μ)

No shi* really? I'm glad you're here to correct everyone.... I thought it was actually an m upside down but cut in half all these years. That type of error could lead to a major catastrophe if the Japanese PM is reading this forum and misunderstood, or President Obama has tuned in to formulate his response. Wolf Blitzer was just on CNN quoting this forum, we need to clean up our act.

----

Nytimes running the live feed from NHK. Reporting that the winds have changed and radiation is dispersing well to the SE towards Tokyo. http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/latest-updates-on-japans-nuclear-crisis-and-earthquake-aftermath-3/

Speaking of jet streams, since there is no massive explosion likely to get the steam/smoke/ash more than a few thousand feet in the sky, what is the average time, outside of convective cells, for a particle of dust/smoke/Cs-137 gas in the PBL to get up into the Westerlies? Since it was snowing in Japan yesterday (I saw it on TV) I'm not expecting convection/storms in the next few days.

I'd guess it takes a while.

1649: On Tuesday, Mr Oettinger had said Japan was facing an "apocalypse".

Oettinger is a spokesperson for EU energy.

1651: IAEA chief Yukiya Amano told the press conference earlier on Wednesday it was "not the time to say things are out of control". He said the Fukushima operators were "doing the maximum to restore the safety of the reactor".

No shi* really? I'm glad you're here to correct everyone.... I thought it was actually an m upside down but cut in half all these years. That type of error could lead to a major catastrophe if the Japanese PM is reading this forum and misunderstood, or President Obama has tuned in to formulate his response. Wolf Blitzer was just on CNN quoting this forum, we need to clean up our act.

Gotcha. So "just pointing it out" wouldn't have elicited a reaction any less full of vitriol, after all. You're just mad 'cause you don't like being called out.

WHO CARES?! We are in the UNITED STATES. Thousands and thousands of miles away from Japan. Who cares what spreads? Do you think anyone living near the reactor right now is reading Americanwx going "oh ****! We better leave! Some guy on some forum in east nowhere, USA said that radiation levels might be going up! Panic!"

yikes. and how was that guy supposed to put the symbol for "mu" on his phone. Are you kidding me? troll..

That's the problem... people DO care about inane crap like that, because they're hearing bad information and spreading it around. It doesn't matter where it's coming from. I'm pointing it out on here because I'm tired of reading it... but I certainly don't expect it to help anything. As I said, it's more of a venting of frustration for me than anything else.

Archived