Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go to 3.51 and you will see that same boat from the picture in the video. The height the water reached up the wall and including the height of the house make that wave easily 50ft +

bp24.jpg

Isn't it ironic how some houses stayed basically intact, while others were demolished? Meanwhile, a boat that appears to have minimal damage lands perfectly flat on a roof of a house?

I'm not sure if that's 30m or not but I've had a feeling this whole time this was more than 10m... considering some of the wiping away of cities we've seen.

this looks far more impressive than anything i saw in the 04 tsunami videos, though i doubt anyone in the high impact areas had a video camera

this looks far more impressive than anything i saw in the 04 tsunami videos, though i doubt anyone in the high impact areas had a video camera

hmmm...weren't there folks on here saying that the vidoes and pics were not even close to as impressive as the Indonesia tsunami?? and that the wave height was nowhere near as high?? Perhaps you'd like to retract that? This is a great reason to hold off making assumptions for several days till the evidence comes in. I'm guilty of it too. I said a few days ago that 100,000 people died. That is most likely to high (well atleast I hope so). Still a lot of deaths and misery though.

1956: Earlier, the National Police Agency said it had confirmed 4,314 deaths in 12 prefectures, while 8,606 people remained unaccounted for in six prefectures. The Kyodo news agency reports that, in an unprecedented move, police in the badly affected provinces of Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima have begun announcing the names, ages and addresses of people whose bodies have been recovered and identified based on their belongings alone, and not through a post-mortem examination.

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

What just played on CNN-- three stories about parents coming upon devastation hoping to find their children/families, but realizing all hope is gone when they come upon the actual wreckage-- was gut-wrenching. As fatalities reach into the thousands, the masses of the dead lose their human dignity and just become a number. It's up to these stories to begin to help us understand how completely horrifying reality is on the ground in the hardest hit areas.

From my perspective this tsunami seemed worse inundation wise. The fact that it pushed over the seawall and then put boats on tops of houses suggest it was between 35-40 ft in my opinion.

More than that look at the building in the middle with the blue roof right above the wall for scale. Assuming that building is only 10 ft high and the fact you could stack 3 of those on top of each other and still not be as high as the seawall I would call it no less than 40-50 ft from the water level in that pic to the top of its roof. The boat is on top of a 30 ft tall building and the land slopes up, the base of the building it is on is most likely 10-15 feet above the top of the seawall. I think that shows the water level had to be at least 60-70 ft higher than what it currently is in that picture to get that boat on top of that building.

Honestly the boat prolly went in past the building it is on in the picture and was caught on the outgoing surge so at one point it was further inland that where it finally came to rest which means the water was quite a bit above the top of the building it is currently resting on. Which just blows my mind this picture is the first I have seen where I think one could say some places with just the right ( or wrong ) topography could have seen water levels rise of 75-100 ft.

It probably is in some of the coves/bays. The Indonesian tsunami hit greater area with worse structures and less warning mechanism..

If you look at the Pacific coastline there are many inlets and coves which would have magnified increased the wave height. Not surprising those communities at those locations are among the worst hit:

Rescue operations are being hindered by mutliple problems at the moment. The snow in the NE part of the country isn't helping and the exclusion zone around the nuclear facilities not only means you cannot go directly from Tokyo to Senda iwith supplies/food/gas etc. but makes 40-50 miles of coastline in Fukushima Prefecture, including Minamisoma which we know was badly affected by the tsunami, pretty much off limits to rescue and recovery operations.

I was watching CNN this morning, and they had a bit from a reporter who was in a town that had Tsunami walls in which they were completely destroyed. Oddly there was no search and rescue going on. I just don't remember the name of the town.

The Town is Kamaishi, in Iwate Prefecture (about 20 mi N of Kesennuma) The video that showed the cars tumbling as they fell over a wall and the boats mast being clipped as it was shoved under a bridge is from here.

Heartbreaking article. The children wait.

So far the official death tool has hit 5,692 with another 9,522 people missing, according to The National Police Agency. But there were very real fears today that the statistics were a terrible underestimate of those who perished in the tsunami.

Across the country some 434,000 people have been made homeless and are living in shelters.

Ken Joseph, an associate professor at Chiba University, is in Ishinomaki with the Japan Emergency Team.

He told the Evening Standard: 'I think the death toll is going to be closer to 100,000 than 10,000.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366898/Japan-tsunami-earthquake-30-children-sit-silent-classroom-parents-vanish.html#ixzz1Gv2laTTY

i saw this on another forum, not sure if it's already posted here... shows how high the waves got... not sure where this was taken though...

10er3f6.jpg

and also from Daily Mail:

never seen Tokyo like this...:(

article-1367309-0B38576C00000578-18_964x676.jpg

Ghost town: A landmark crossroads in Tokyo's Ginza district is eerily dark and empty as people stay indoors after warnings about a radioactive cloud from the stricken nuclear plant 150 miles away

Archived