Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any news on how the nuke plants are handeling this? All I see is this on CNN with nothing to click on.

Workers evacuate Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant after 7.4-magnitude quake, Tokyo Electric Power Company says.

TEPCO said its workers are evacuated but there hasn't been any other consequence to the plant and they'll wait for the tsunami advisory to expire.

There are two nuclear plants in NE Japan that have lost external power sources, but are running on diesel generators currently to continue cooling operations.

TEPCO said its workers are evacuated but there hasn't been any other consequence to the plant and they'll wait for the tsunami advisory to expire.

There are two nuclear plants in NE Japan that have lost external power sources, but are running on diesel generators currently to continue cooling operations.

so is the plant out of the woods?

so is the plant out of the woods?

Assuming there's no tsunami. They'll have to go out and inspect for damage I suppose after they come out of evacuation, but TEPCO is saying they've suffered no known damage at either Daiichi or Daini. (Seems a bit conflicting, eh?)

Assuming there's no tsunami. They'll have to go out and inspect for damage I suppose after they come out of evacuation, but TEPCO is saying they've suffered no known damage at either Daiichi or Daini. (Seems a bit conflicting, eh?)

wouldn't the tsunami have already hit? It seems like it was too close to the coast for it to not have passed yet.

So did there end up being a tsunami? I imagine we would have heard by now eh?

BBC:

An earthquake of 7.2 magnitude has struck off the coast of Japan, shaking buildings in the capital, Tokyo, and triggering a small tsunami.

The tremor was centred 168km (104 miles) from the east coast, north-east of Tokyo.

A 60cm (24in) tsunami reached the coastal town of Ofunato, with other towns reporting smaller waves shortly after the quake hit at 1145 (0245 GMT).

There are so far no reports of damage or injuries.

Japan is well-prepared for quakes which often hit the seismically active area.

An aftershock measuring 6.3 magnitude struck after the main quake, Japan's meteorological agency said, followed by a series of smaller aftershocks.

Some train services in the area were temporarily halted after the quake, but they were restarted shortly after noon.

Tohoku Electric Power said its Onagawa nuclear plant was operating normally after the quake and Tokyo Electric Power also said its power supplies were unaffected.

It's pretty amazing that this does not appear to have caused anymore damage. A 7.4 is nothing to fool around with.

Japan is well prepared for that type of earthquake. Even the 9.0 didnt do as much damage as you would think. The Tsunami was the devastating part of it.

Japan is well prepared for that type of earthquake. Even the 9.0 didnt do as much damage as you would think. The Tsunami was the devastating part of it.

true but the fact it was centered off the coast also lessened the impacts to structures from the actual shaking. I seriously doubt things would have been ok if a 9.0 had been under a major city.

I heard a few reports that this was expected. Any word on how much more activity they expect.

Well they are expecting an insanely major earthquake in the Tokai region in the coming years, but of course that's unrelated to all of this stuff.

I did hear some reports of damage and injuries on NHK. There was a fire near an airport [in Yamagata Pref.], a home has collapsed, and there are pretty large power outages. Tsunami warnings have been canceled.

This earthquake was associated with the same fault the ruptured on 3/11/11. It's not a foreshock... If this was on another plate boundary I'd be concerned. There was a 9.0, having a 7.1 is well within expected range for aftershocks.

What about the 7.2 that struck a few days before the 9.0?

What about the 7.2 that struck a few days before the 9.0?

what about it? widely accepted as a foreshock, since it was followed by a 9.0. A 7.2 before a 9.0 would also be in normal range for a foreshock, and a 7.1 after the 9.0 is an normal aftershock. They are all on the same fault.

Archived