Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have y'all seen this one? Sorry if it's already been posted, but it's borderline unbelievable. A whole town just gets wiped out in about two minutes:

Yup absolutely stunning video which rivals anything I saw in the Indonesia tsunami. Nowhere for those folks to go. The building that the camera man was shooting from and the 6 story building across the way were the only structures left standing. For a few moments I wasn't sure if the building across was going to be able to stand up, especially when that warehouse crashed into the side of it. Unbelievable. No warning system in existence could have helped those people. Just not enough time for many of them to run. No doubt the toll will end up being 50,000+ when they search all the areas and get a firm count of the missing as some bodies will never be found. Of course this story has taken a backseat to the nuclear crisis and other stories abroad.

http://news.yahoo.co...e_tsunami_alert

21 mins ago

NEW YORK – A magnitude-6.5 earthquake shook eastern Japan off the quake-ravaged coast on Monday morning, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, prompting Japan to issue a tsunami alert.

There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries, but the Japan Meteorological Agency announced that a tsunami of up to 1.6 feet (a half meter) may wash into Miyagi Prefecture.

Can anyone with knowledge about earthquakes comment on this idea... Take the New Madrid quakes of 1811 and 1812. There were several major earthquakes over the course of a few months. Is there a real threat of possibly another 8.0-9.0 quake in the subduction zone that caused the 9.0 earlier this month? Are the dynamics of these two faults so different that it's really not possible?

Can anyone with knowledge about earthquakes comment on this idea... Take the New Madrid quakes of 1811 and 1812. There were several major earthquakes over the course of a few months. Is there a real threat of possibly another 8.0-9.0 quake in the subduction zone that caused the 9.0 earlier this month? Are the dynamics of these two faults so different that it's really not possible?

The latest research indicates that the New Madrid quakes were all less than 8.0 in magnitude, and that the fault is nowhere near slipping. And yes, New Madrid has different dynamics - Japan is located near a subduction zone; New Madrid is an intraplate mechanism. A 9.0 from New Madrid isn't very likely to ever happen.

The latest research indicates that the New Madrid quakes were all less than 8.0 in magnitude, and that the fault is nowhere near slipping. And yes, New Madrid has different dynamics - Japan is located near a subduction zone; New Madrid is an intraplate mechanism. A 9.0 from New Madrid isn't very likely to ever happen.

understood, I was not asking if a 9.0 could happen on the New Madrid. I was asking if there could be 8.0+ aftershocks on the Japan fault that ruptured earlier this month. Also I was under the impression that the New Madrid fault could go at any point tbh. I do understand anthong over an 8.0 is unlikely on the New Madrid fault at any point.

understood, I was not asking if a 9.0 could happen on the New Madrid. I was asking if there could be 8.0+ aftershocks on the Japan fault that ruptured earlier this month. Also I was under the impression that the New Madrid fault could go at any point tbh. I do understand anthong over an 8.0 is unlikely on the New Madrid fault at any point.

Yeah they made a big deal of it in the early 90's I think, but I think most of scientific community agrees that it will probably be a few decades before the next 7.0+ quake in the New Madrid area (don't quote me on that though).

There's definitely a chance of another 8.0 quake in the Japan area due to redistribution of strain along the plate boundaries (that's probably what happened in Sumatra). Hopefully that doesn't happen, or if it does, that it will happen to the north of the last quake.

There wouldn't be a MM8.0+ aftershock but the worry is that another megathrust shock of MM8.0+ could occur elsewhere in the triple point zone off Japan such as happened off Indonesia after the big 2004 shock as mentioned above. This would be a different main shock As far as aftersnocks are concerned, a 9.0 would have a main aftershock of about 7.5-big enough but still well less than an 8.0. We are coming up on 200 years after the big New Madrid Fault shocks but intraplate faults tend to accumulate strain slower than interplate faults and subduction zones. What we might not know completely is what other subsidiary faults there might be with the New Madrid. It would only take a 6.5 centered somewhere in the Ohio River Valley or Tennessee River Valley to create a fair degree of havoc in that part of the US since the deep sedimentary layers there transmit shock waves much more strongly and further than in the Western US. Besides the faulting found near NYC and in New England which could produce damaging shocks of 5.5-6.0 (a 5.5 in NYC would cause much more damage than a similar shock in SFO) there's another major danger spot in the east coast region of the US-Charleston, SC. A MM7.0 there in the 1880's was the most lethal US earthquake until 1906 and they could get another one anytime.

Steve

Magnitude7.4 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes) Date-Time

• Thursday, April 07, 2011 at 14:32:00 UTC
  • Thursday, April 07, 2011 at 11:32:00 PM at epicenter

Location38.200°N, 142.000°E Depth40 km (24.9 miles) set by location program RegionNEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN Distances

• 98 km (61 miles) E (93°) from Sendai, Honshu, Japan
  • 144 km (90 miles) ENE (68°) from Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
  • 159 km (99 miles) NE (37°) from Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
  • 345 km (215 miles) NE (35°) from TOKYO, Japan

Location UncertaintyError estimate not available ParametersNST= 12, Nph= 12, Dmin=385 km, Rmss=1 sec, Gp=148°,

M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=1 Source

Event IDat00ljadqj

Tsunami Warning/Advisory

Issued at 23:34 JST 07 Apr 2011  

******************Headline******************

Tsunami Warnings (Tsunami) have been issued for the following coastal regions of Japan:

MIYAGI PREF.

Evacuate immediately to safe place away from the shore in the above coastal regions.

Tsunami advisories are currently in effect in other coastal regions of Japan.

*******************Text********************

Tsunami Warnings have been issued for the following coastal regions of Japan:

<Tsunami Warning (Tsunami)>

*MIYAGI PREF.

Evacuate immediately to safe place away from the shore in the above coastal regions.

Tsunami Advisories have been issued for the following coastal regions of Japan:

<Tsunami Advisory>

PACIFIC COAST OF AOMORI PREF.

*IWATE PREF.

FUKUSHIMA PREF.

IBARAKI PREF.

Tsunamis are expected to arrive imminently in the following coastal regions of Japan

(coastal regions shown above with * marks):

MIYAGI PREF.

IWATE PREF.

***********About Tsunami Forecast************

<Tsunami Warning (Tsunami)>

Tsunami height is expected to be up to 2 meters. Caution advised.

<Tsunami Advisory>

Tsunami height is expected to be about 0.5 meters. Attention advised.

******* Earthquake Information ********

Occurred at  23:32 JST 07 Apr 2011

Region name  MIYAGI-KEN OKI

Latitude 38.2N

Longitude 142.0E

Depth  about 40 km

Magnitude  7.4

Archived