Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

please don't post chain emails. this was already posted and I think deleted by a mod today.

i know right... filipinos are gullible, in general, so i can see how this hoax scared a lot of people... i was watching the news today and they said that a number of colleges and high schools canceled classes because of the circulating texts/emails...:axe:

Can we also stop with the nonsensical speculation of where the next quake is going to happen, unless you happen to be posting something by a credible seismologist? Thanks.

No credible seismologist would ever say anything like that. Charles Richter said it best when he said that only fools and charlatans forecast earthquakes.

Steve

No credible seismologist would ever say anything like that. Charles Richter said it best when he said that only fools and charlatans forecast earthquakes.

Steve

Steve do you remember when somehow the Chinese correctly predicted an earthquake back in the 70s and evacuated a town? And then when they "predicted" the next one, nothing happened. That was the end of the prediction business.

How much is there in animals being aware of changes in the earth just prior to an earthquake or tsunami hitting?

Steve do you remember when somehow the Chinese correctly predicted an earthquake back in the 70s and evacuated a town? And then when they "predicted" the next one, nothing happened. That was the end of the prediction business.

How much is there in animals being aware of changes in the earth just prior to an earthquake or tsunami hitting?

From what I recall, Chinese scientists successfully predicted an earthquake sometime in the mid 70's, which saved a lot of lives. They did it again prior to Tangshan, however many people did not heed the warnings and we all know what happened next.

EDIT: the successful prediction was the 1975 Haicheng earthquake: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Haicheng_earthquake

There were a lot of foreshocks preceeding Haicheng earthquake which led them to forecast that earthquake. For Tangshan, things were not so clear cut and they actually did not reach a complete consensus so the warnings issued were not as urgent as the year before. Animals have been known to exhibit unusual behavior just before a shock since it's believed that they can detect early vibrations and magnetic field changes that preceed the shock. Apparently a lot of animals in 2004 saved themselves that way.

Steve

On the subject of earthquake prediction, the one I remember most is the Iben Browning 1990 New Madrid prediction even though I was only 7 years old at the time.

I was 5 but living in MO. We had 3 earthquake drills in Kindergarten.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There were a lot of foreshocks preceeding Haicheng earthquake which led them to forecast that earthquake. For Tangshan, things were not so clear cut and they actually did not reach a complete consensus so the warnings issued were not as urgent as the year before. Animals have been known to exhibit unusual behavior just before a shock since it's believed that they can detect early vibrations and magnetic field changes that preceed the shock. Apparently a lot of animals in 2004 saved themselves that way.

Steve

This fascinates me to no end. Not far fetched considering that birds migrate thousands of miles based on being attuned to the earths electromagnetic fields.

Yep...wow, inland WEST of Tokyo. Definitely outside the mainshock rupture area.

This is just out of control-- these rampant earthquakes. I can't believe what is happening there-- like the continent is coming unglued at one end.

I mean, even a 6.3 is a really significant, damaging event-- and this one was centered right under Honshu-- not out in the ocean. Ugh.

Archived