Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whats interesting is that California is probably in line for a major quake rather soon IMO. They just had an expert on MSNBC. He said that the last 1906 earthquake in San Fran had 2 previous major earthquakes along the ring of fire. One in Chile and one in Taiwan.

Whats similar? A major earthquake in New Zealand and a major earthquake in Japan. He described the ring of fire as a bell and once you strike that bell, then it just keeps vibrating. He said that the the PAC NW and CALI will see a major one rather soon. Whether its 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year, impossible to tell.

Feb 22, 2011- Christchurch

Mar 11, 2011- Japan

March 28, 2011- U.S??????

Whats interesting is that California is probably in line for a major quake rather soon IMO. They just had an expert on MSNBC. He said that the last 1906 earthquake in San Fran had 2 previous major earthquakes along the ring of fire. One in Chile and one in Taiwan.

Whats similar? A major earthquake in New Zealand and a major earthquake in Japan. He described the ring of fire as a bell and once you strike that bell, then it just keeps vibrating. He said that the the PAC NW and CALI will see a major one rather soon. Whether its 1 day, 1 week, 1 month or 1 year, impossible to tell.

Mar 11, 2011- Japan

What were the dates of the Ring of Fire events in 1906?

Mar 11, 2011- Japan

So you decided next week would be the big one for CA and the Pac NW?

Mar 11, 2011- Japan

That doesn't sound like an "expert" to me. Sounds more like yet another alarmist.

The New Zealand earthquake wasn't even a deep 'quake along plate boundaries. It was a shallow crustal 'quake.

We have had Chile, Indonesia (Indian Ocean side, though), and Japan all with major subduction 'quakes since 2004... and another decent-sized one, IIRC, north of New Zealand that affected some of the Pacific Islands. But whether or not that means anything at all for the US is completely unclear, and it certainly is not a strong signal for anything.

That doesn't sound like an "expert" to me. Sounds more like yet another alarmist.

The New Zealand earthquake wasn't even a deep 'quake along plate boundaries. It was a shallow crustal 'quake.

We have had Chile, Indonesia (Indian Ocean side, though), and Japan all with major subduction 'quakes since 2004... and another decent-sized one, IIRC, north of New Zealand that affected some of the Pacific Islands. But whether or not that means anything at all for the US is completely unclear, and it certainly is not a strong signal for anything.

Right, it's all about getting viewers attention. Hell, I could call for a major earthquake on the west coast in the next few months and certainly have a shot at being right. Kind of like saying there will be a major east coast blizzard next Feb. :whistle:

What were the dates of the Ring of Fire events in 1906?

Taiwan- March 17, 1906 (7.1)

San Fran- April 18, 1906 (7.9)

Chile- August 17, 1906 (8.5)

ring-of-fire.gif

Looking at the ring of fire map, you can see how that string of earthquakes occured in a clockwise fashion along the ring of fire, starting in Taiwan and ending in Chile.

Whats interesting is that this string of Earthquakes is following a similar clockwise pattern, starting in New Zealand and now Japan. I'd really be concerned if I lived on the West Coast of U.S now.

Just speculating right now for shear boredom.

Lets say Taiwan, San Fran and Chile are hours on clock:

Taiwan- 9 o'clock

San Fran- 2 o'clock

Chile- 5 o'clock

(5 hours, 3 hours separation)

Now 2011 earthquakes:

New Zealand- 7 o'clock

Japan- 10 o'clock

San Fran- 2 o'clock

(3 hours, 4 hours separation??)

Pretty interesting just to speculate. I know earthquakes don't work in a pattern...but still interesting.

If you count the number of letters between C (Chile) and N (New Zealand) and include the C and N, you get 12. The Chile and New Zealand earthquakes were 12 months apart!!!!111!!!11!! There are 3 letters between N and J if you DON'T count either the N and J. The New Zealand and Japan earthquakes were 3 weeks apart!!11!!!!! Keep counting back 6 more letters and you get back to C for CALIFORNIA. Oh yeah...California. I'm just speculating here, but this seems to make a lot of sense. I think there's going to be a big earthquake in California in either 6 weeks or 6 months!11!!!!!!

You forgot the extra hour of sunlight during DST. It's obviously 6 days, not weeks or months.

If you count the number of letters between C (Chile) and N (New Zealand) and include the C and N, you get 12. The Chile and New Zealand earthquakes were 12 months apart!!!!111!!!11!! There are 3 letters between N and J if you DON'T count either the N and J. The New Zealand and Japan earthquakes were 3 weeks apart!!11!!!!! Keep counting back 6 more letters and you get back to C for CALIFORNIA. Oh yeah...California. I'm just speculating here, but this seems to make a lot of sense. I think there's going to be a big earthquake in California in either 6 weeks or 6 months!11!!!!!!

6 days, you gotta be consistent here.

Months... weeks.... the next logical timescale is days. Clearly.

EDIT: Looks like I'm neither the first nor second to point this out. Must've been pretty obvious. How could you have overlooked this point?

Well, I guess you should be staying in NY an extra week based on that "prediction" lol.

No, way, dude-- if we're going to have an historic quake, I want to be there for it. They're scary as sh*t, but they're also weirdly... exhilarating. (Like a cyclone, I guess.)

You going to the NYC thing on Saturday? If so, I'll meet ya, finally! :sun:

Sorry, everyone, for going OT...

Ok...back to reality. Did anyone notice how many "pre-shocks" there were to this quake on the 9th? 4 quakes of mag 6+, one of which was 7.2. In hindsight this was obviously predictive...did anyone say anything about this on the 9th or 10th?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

True, but I don't know if you could say any more than "the risk of a large quake in this region is heightened"... like they do in Cali after a quake (as Josh likes to point out every time. :arrowhead: )

Geology's not my forte :( I hope real ones are looking into these important clues.

:lol:

It's okay. I understand that in the excitement of the moment it's easy to get "weeks" and "days" confused. :weight_lift:

Ok...back to reality. Did anyone notice how many "pre-shocks" there were to this quake on the 9th? 4 quakes of mag 6+, one of which was 7.2. In hindsight this was obviously predictive...did anyone say anything about this on the 9th or 10th?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

Foreshocks are a big topic of discussion in CA. Whenever we have a jolt that's widely felt-- say, something over a 4.5-- we're automatically on alert for a larger event within 24 hrs. The rule of thumb-- at least in CA-- a temblor automatically brings with it a 5% chance of a larger one within 24-36 hrs. That might sound low, but a 1-in-20 chance of a big quake is a big deal.

Foreshocks are a big topic of discussion in CA. Whenever we have a jolt that's widely felt-- say, something over a 4.5-- we're automatically on alert for a larger event within 24 hrs. The rule of thumb-- at least in CA-- is that every time we have a good quake, there's a 5% chance of a larger one within 24-36 hrs. That might sound low, but a 1-in-20 chance of a big quake is a big deal.

There was a strong foreshock before the big Chile quake also.

http://earthquake.us.../quakes_all.php

I started a thread for the 7.2, but I had no idea it was a pre-shock. I let the team down.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/15046-72-japanese-earthquake/

Right, it's all about getting viewers attention. Hell, I could call for a major earthquake on the west coast in the next few months and certainly have a shot at being right. Kind of like saying there will be a major east coast blizzard next Feb. :whistle:

Yes, it's actually disgusting they would want to profit off a disaster in this manner. I've also noticed there have been an inordinate number of earthquake/volcano "disaster" movies on cable TV the last few days. I'm putting them in the same category.

Archived