Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
9.0 Earthquake strikes Japan

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the key thing to keep in mind is that we want our news now. it doesn't surprise me that the MSM is getting things wrong, I think in the rush to get news out, they spew everything and retract what ever doesn't stick, SO I blame us for wanting our news now,

OTOH, when a building explodes at a nuclear plant half-a-world away, we know about it quicker than we can smell our spouse's fart from across the room. Take the good with the bad. Everybody quit bitching.

This one truly shows you just how high some of the waves got. Cleared 3-4 storied houses with ease. Boy did that bus get lucky @ 1.05

Unbelievable... every building in that valley... gone. Pretty gut wrenching stuff. I can't imagine how scared people are over there right now.

That's to be expected in a disaster of this magnitude plus the fact that Japan is right now only able to generate 75% of the electrical power needed to meet daily demand.

Steve

Yes, I would venture to say that stocks are the among the least of their worries right now.

Yes, I would venture to say that stocks are the among the least of their worries right now.

Not necessarily because confidence in the Stock Market (or lack of same) governs how quickly Japan's economy will recover. In 1906, the SFO Earthquake and the huge losses (for 1906) there and the shutdown of the Pacific Stock Exchange were factors in the Depression of 1907 in the US.

Steve

Not necessarily because confidence in the Stock Market (or lack of same) governs how quickly Japan's economy will recover. In 1906, the SFO Earthquake and the huge losses (for 1906) there and the shutdown of the Pacific Stock Exchange were factors in the Depression of 1907 in the US.

Steve

I agree Steve, but I think most there are probably worried more about the loss of life. It looks like that will be into the five figure range. But economic issues could easily be a huge hindrance to recovery efforts-- especially since Japan relies so much on nuclear power.

Wonder how many people that might have been saved have passed away due to the exposure to the freezing temps. If someone has been trapped for 3 days and the temps been getting down into the low 30's at night then they don't stand much of a chance. My guess is if they haven't been rescued by now they are likely dead.

The images of that tsunami is incredible. Wonder what the official height on it will be?

Wonder how many people that might have been saved have passed away due to the exposure to the freezing temps. If someone has been trapped for 3 days and the temps been getting down into the low 30's at night then they don't stand much of a chance. My guess is if they haven't been rescued by now they are likely dead.

The images of that tsunami is incredible. Wonder what the official height on it will be?

there were 3 elderly that were stuck on a car and were saved just today... also a man was swept away miles into the ocean and was saved alive as well so it's not that impossible... of course it all depends on their location and if they have any injuries whatsoever... but you're right, time is very critical for these rescuers no matter what...

I'm just going to watch. I have no clue how any of this works. All I know is the reports on this are going to be sketchy. I mean, unless anderson cooper decides he should repel down into the reactor core to have a look I am skeptical.

That's about where I am with this...as some have said in the rush to "break" news first a lot of the early reports end up being offbase to varying degrees...not to mention the punditry and the need to have "experts" throw their two cents in when some are arguably more clueless than the news reports.

From NHK:

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says a reactor at a power plant in quake-hit Fukushima Prefecture has lost all its cooling capability.

The agency said on Monday that Tokyo Electric Power Company notified the agency of an emergency at the Number Two reactor at its Fukushima Number One power station.

This is the second emergency notice for the reactor.

The utility firm told the agency shortly after the quake on Friday that the reactor's emergency cooling power system had failed.

From NHK:

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency says a reactor at a power plant in quake-hit Fukushima Prefecture has lost all its cooling capability.

The agency said on Monday that Tokyo Electric Power Company notified the agency of an emergency at the Number Two reactor at its Fukushima Number One power station.

This is the second emergency notice for the reactor.

The utility firm told the agency shortly after the quake on Friday that the reactor's emergency cooling power system had failed.

FYI - There is a thread for the nuclear stuff.

Some of the aftershocks at the moment going on are hardly small fry either, had a 6+ just a few hours ago which in its own right is pretty big, yet alone to a country that has just been shook as badly as it has.

Sorry if this one has been posted...haven't been following the thread too closely...but this is one scary 1st person video of the Tsunami. Kind of seems like an ordinary flash flood...but after the 3:30 mark things really get insane.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5781566/this-is-the-scariest-first+person-video-of-the-japan-tsunami-yet

I always considered a major earthquake to be the natural disaster I feared most...after that video, Tsunami easily takes first place.

Sorry if this one has been posted...haven't been following the thread too closely...but this is one scary 1st person video of the Tsunami. Kind of seems like an ordinary flash flood...but after the 3:30 mark things really get insane.

http://gizmodo.com/#...pan-tsunami-yet

I always considered a major earthquake to be the natural disaster I feared most...after that video, Tsunami easily takes first place.

Yeah, having grown up in Cambridge I can't help but imagine what kind of destruction that would have brought to Boston which is basically built on reclaimed wetlands. Crazy.

One of my brother's best friends is in Koriyama, kind of between Tokyo and Sendai...looks like maybe 30 miles inland from the nuclear plant. He's made a few Facebook updates...says its been incredibly difficult keeping facts straight over there as there are a lot of rumors and alarmist e-mails/texts circulating.

I was just on skype with an associate in the Philippines and he was telling me that there have been several texts today about the nuclear situation in Japan. One had stated that there had been an explosion and radiation would spread to the Philippines within 24 hours and stated that everyone should stay inside and avoid the rain as it would cause severe burns to the skin. He said many parents went to the schools to pick up their children early. So the spread of misinformation is very widespread in Asia. I can see how in some of the less developed nations this could cause some to panic when it is not warranted.

Unfortunately it's forecast to get even colder this week, with lows in the low 20s in Kesennuma along with a chance for frozen precip. That's a bit colder than normal. Lots of shelters are evidently running out of heating fuel.

http://weather.weatherbug.com/Japan/Kesennuma-weather/local-forecast/7-day-forecast.html?zcode=z6286

Archived